Help noobie with training

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Rodrigoj, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Rodrigoj

Rodrigoj Blue Belt

Hi everyone. I will probably get flamed, but it is ok if at least one user can answer and I can learn something.

To give a background, I am 30 years old and have been for years doing on and off training the only way I have learnt in gyms here, wich are workouts with lots of isolated machine exercises, drop sets and giant sets.

Right now I weigh 95kg/210lbs with 13% bf and 6,1'. I am not that small, but I am weak as a kitten for my size. I don't know what my 1RM looks like, but for bench press I do 90kg for 10 rep, my deadlift is only 60kgx10 and my squat 56kgx10.
    Acording to some online calculator http://www.strstd.com/
    my 1RM would be bench 117kg/257lbs, dealift 75kg/165lb and squat 70kg/154lbs.
    It is that messed up, I can bench more then I deadlift or squat. :(

My goal now is to primarily gain strenght. I have read Starting Strenght book, stronglifts, Bill Star 5x5 and others. I know I should probably just do starting strenght, but bear with me and have a litle patience with the noob.

Even tough I am really weak, I am not so sure I am a real beginner, being so I am not so sure if I will have also the gains in size that starting strenght gives to beginners. I know this is a Strenght forum, not a bodybuilding one, but I
    do want gain strenght and I don't know any people to ask this. Even tough my main goal now is strenght, I am too old to ever compete so I still want to keep and even improve a litle in size.

My point is, for an example, altough my squat is weak, my legs are big and I can leg press a lot of weight (I know it is sad). I can't squat because my lower back, core and glutes are useless, but I do have leg mass, so I am guessing SS wont give me that much size benefit.

Being so, and looking also at a Reg Park workout that can be used according to some to both, strenght and aesthetics,
    what you guys think about a workout like this for me? It is almost an SS or stronglifts, but with a litle calves, abs and aesthetics stuff.
    Will it be bad for my strenght gains if I do something like this?

Workout A

Back Squats 5

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. LZD

LZD Purple Belt

Just do SS man. You won't lose mass, but gain strength and be able to put the mass to use. Once you get strong enough, that strength will help you gain even more mass.

Simple thought experiment: which version of you has the best mass-gaining potential:

1. You now (same size but weak)
    2. You (same 'size') but strong

???

Answer is obvious to me. Do SS or 5x5 and stop being useless.

3. fbmmofo

fbmmofo Blue Belt

I second doing ss. The program your put is ok but you'd be better of putting your efforts into ss,your won't lose size and you'll get stronger.

4. CPP

CPP Orange Belt

Your squatting and deadlifting are way behind, yet you pick a program with more upper body work than squatting. Starting strength, a squat centered program, would be better.

Your situation is somewhat special though. I'd use a slower progression on the bench, because there's no way you can still add lbs to the bar every workout. Just go for worksets of 3 reps first when you add weight, then 4, then 5, giving yourself up to 3 tries at each rep.

Once your lifts are better balanced (squat at least 25% higher than bench), you'll have the strength base to work on aesthetics. Right now, if your core is really as weak as you say, you have increased risk for injury.

5. big_john127

big_john127 Profess¬°onal Lurker

Do 5x5. Your a/b thing is way too core heavy for someone with your self described limitations.

6. lpaulgib

lpaulgib Blue Belt

I dont think the workout is too bad. You do a squat, pull, and press each workout. I dont think the assessory stuff will kill you

7. AlbionOakley

AlbionOakley Orange Belt

do starting strength, but be prepared that your bench may stall first. If you can bench that much your squat and deadlift should shoot up when you actually start doing them!

8. Rodrigoj

Rodrigoj Blue Belt

Thanks everyone for the answers.
    I guess I will keep with starting strenght for a while. It is possible that my deadlifts and squats are too low cause I actually never did them, and maybe besides the weak muscles my technique is still somewhat bad and it don't let me get higher weights.
    My bench and overhead will probably stall, but I will take it easy and focus on the other main lifts.
    Thanks again.

9. shonuf

shonuf Titanium Belt Platinum Member

I cleaned up the thread. hell wall the op has asked you to stop posting as it's not related to what he's asking. Anymore posts will be considered trolling and will result in dubs. Thanks.

10. hell wall

hell wall Blue Belt

Wow .... I will never try to help a fellow again

11. LatFlare

LatFlare EADC

Watching a snail crawl along a straight razor.
  12. TeddyRoosevelt

TeddyRoosevelt Brown Belt

At least you tried, right?

13. NurseKnuckles

NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

14. Pearse Shields

Pearse Shields Amateur Fighter

Feel free to help when you understand the difference between strength and endurance.

15. JauntyAngle

JauntyAngle International man of mystery

You know nothing, Pearse Shields:

1) Maximal strength is not needed in sports, either on its own account or for contributing to power
    2) Even if it was, you wouldn't need to do anything hard- repeating an easy movement many times has all of the benefits of repeating a hard movement a few times
    3) The amount of resistance and the angle of the limb/ROM matter a little bit, but not as much as the kind of object that is generating the resistance (if it's your body, you will become Saiyan, if it's a kettlebell, Sage Mode, if it's a barbell, you will get AIDS and die)

I am surprised that you don't know these basic facts.

16. LatFlare

LatFlare EADC

Watching a snail crawl along a straight razor.
    Poor TS doesn't stand a chance.