Help Motivating Someone Who I'm Helping Train

Big H

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This ones more to do with cardio, it's a woman.

I try get her to put in more effort, but she says "I'm trying as hard as I can".

If you heard the way she said it you would know you can't talk that well if you are tired.

She doesn't lack complete motivation because she's there training, but it seems like there's only 40-50% effort.

Any ideas?

To be honest, it sounds like she doesn't really want to be there.

She should be able to provide all the motivation she needs to train. If she doesn't want to, no one will be able to help her in that department.

Is she doing something you're into rather than something she's into? Mix it up and see if you can find something that does it for her. I recommend yoga. That's something you can both get a lot out of.

I was thinking of getting her to do some medium paced longish runs to get an aerobic base, then gradually moving onto sprints.

and weights, OHP squats deads etc.

im hoping atleast one will appeal.

with yoga will tht actually get someone into shape?

I think you can inspire people and support them. But I have never been a big "motivation" guy. In most cases its just a matter of "want". People have to want to.

Out of shape women don't want to do anything hard, mostly because they actually can't. If you try to make her do burpees, squats, sprints, runs, athletic drills, or power lifts of any kind she's not going to be receptive. Make her do like 20/30min on an elliptical prior to your session, then do some kind of deadlift variation with easily manageable weight, isolation lifts, holds (like planks), and anything with a cable, smith machine or a bosu ball. Sort of like crossfit/aerobics. She will be all about that. Do circuits with that so her heart rate gets up, you have to be sneaky about fitting harder stuff and compound movements in there. When that stuff gets easy you can start making her work out for real. IME Women are not interested in strength

Maybe when she comes into train next time you cannot train at all. Maybe sit with her and talk. Explain you're only gonna give her a portion of training because that's what you're getting. Ask her why shes even there. Find the reason she wants to be in shape and keep that in her mind when she trains.

Bring up rape and the confidence that being in shape can bring. Try to find out where to hit her so you can hit her in training. And pretty much explain that most people hate cardio so she should start loving it and what comes about because of it.Cant be like the lazy others. If she can do that she has a leg up on pretty much everyone. The loving cardio part that is.

Really? Bring up rape?

Did someone say rape?

This ones more to do with cardio, it's a woman.

I try get her to put in more effort, but she says "I'm trying as hard as I can".

If you heard the way she said it you would know you can't talk that well if you are tired.

She doesn't lack complete motivation because she's there training, but it seems like there's only 40-50% effort.

Any ideas?

Have her buy a heart rate monitor. Assign her specific BPM ranges she needs to stay in for specific amounts of time.

I am not sure what you are qualified to train someone else in...is she trying to work on starting many terrible threads a day (endurance) or is she going for just one really really bad one a day? (strength)

Start with asking why she's training in the first place. Who inspired her to work out, what are her goals. Find out why she wanted to come to the gym and haunt her with it. Set tangible, quantifiable goals and push her to go after them.

From time to time my own motivation wanes and I need only retrace the roots of what takes me to the gym: I want to be monstrous in my rise above mediocrity. A few strongman training vids later and an eca stack and I'm back on it.

Find the heart of why she trains and drill that, set her on a path to better exemplify rhe ideals that first sent her to train and convince her that's the path she's on.

Ask her what her goals are, what she enjoys, once you find what she enjoys try to convert it into something with a physical challenge. I've known many of my friends that got into lifting from starting with football type workouts when they were first never interested in lifting.
Just my 2 cents.

Somehow that shouldn't really be all that amusing, but I was laughing out loud :)

I honestly have no idea how to a) motivate women to train, b) motivate anybody (including myself) to do cardio. Combining those two just makes my head explode.

I can manipulate myself to a certain extent by rationalizing the benefits a type of exercise will have on a hobby of mine, but women rarely really have hobbies, so motivation ends up being all about aesthetics, which is a pretty ineffective motivator.

Also, 5,000 posts. Woooh!

i sometimes get tag alongs to the gym, and one thing that never fails (especially for girls) is that i say "how much do you think you can do" and they do it effortlessly. then i ask, was it heavy, can you do more, most of the time they say no. Then i say im gonna add just a little, but i add alot more than they think, so when they STILL do it, just finally heavy they at most doubled what they thought was their max. Especially the girls, as guys tend to want/think to lift more than they really can. But girls are more afraid of nearing their max, as the "high rep, low weigh, body shape" bullshit has been indoctrinated.

This was written based on the fact that she shows up, but keeps putting in 50% effort. Usually results triggers motivation, and really just getting in to it and the general feeling and results should take care of the rest.

Otherwise try to motivate in other areas, like why do we do this? Better life, better health, nicer body, better quality of life etc etc. But its hard to say without meeting the person. Anyways, my 2 cents, and good luck!

Back