Help me with my heavyweight diet

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by TeddyReason, Oct 3, 2010.

1. TeddyReason

TeddyReason Orange Belt

So Im a senior in high-school. I walk at around 6ft and 250lbs; Its safe to say I'am a big guy. I've been wrestling for two years and have been lifting weights for four years. Now I now I can't always work out the same way a guy at 169 does; but what is the best way to get into shape for my upcoming wrestling and open style grappling season.

Background:

- kept a decent diet
    - workout 3x a week (1 1/2 hour light workout)
    - workout 2x week (30 min - 1 hour, hardcore)
    - two day rest
    - Spar everyday
    - wrestle everyday

So what I want to know is, is it possible to compete at the 220lb division. I've cut weight before. It sucks. I don't enjoy doing it. I would like to loose the thirty pounds in a matter of three months. I know its a lot to ask for, but I would just like to know if anybody can help me out. What would I need to do in order to loose weight, but also build maintain muscle. I wan't to keep my muscle mass, and loose strictly body fat. What exercise's should I do, and how often. What supplements should I take and what time of the day should I do it

2. spannered

spannered Real men don't wear belts

No matter how much excersie you do, diet is 80% of weight loss. It kind of goes without saying, but drop your carbs and fat intake as much as you can. Stick with greens and proteins (should keep your muscle mass) and hold on potatoes and grains.

It's important to down the carbs after training though, you'll lose muscle otherwise. Just hold out when you're not active.

The most effective way to burn body fat is mixing medium and high intensity training. A good one is to keep a medium pace on a bike and have high intensity bursts every minute. You can do this running or swimming also.

The medium/high intensity technique is proven to be the most effective way of burning energy.

3. ColonelAngus1

ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

So you're looking to lose 30 pounds in 90 days. This honestly shouldn't be that hard. In terms of diet, to maintain your muscle mass while losing weight, you want to keep your protein intake relatively high while keeping your caloric intake relatively low.

Try to find foods that are high in protein, but low in calories. Skinless chicken breasts, lean beef, peanut butter, lentils, baked beans, raw spinach, chia seeds etc. all are examples of high protein foods that are relatively low in calories.

In addition, you want to completely eliminate processed foods and simple carbs. Another important thing to keep yourself on your diet is to keep your fiber intake high. A diet high in fiber gives you a "full" feeling.

Bottom line, eliminate processed foods and simple carbs, and keep your heart rate up when you are training, and you should have no problem losing this weight.

4. Jimmy Smith

Jimmy Smith White Belt

You first have to look at your macronutrient (protein,carbs,fats,fiber) intake. This allows you to customize your diet to support your training and your goals.

What are your numbers?

5. hardheart

hardheart Brown Belt

So you're looking to lose about 11% of your body weight. You have to accept that some of that is going to be muscle, and you'll probably lose a little bit of weight.

At your age and with your the current state of your endocrine system (hormones) you're goint to have to push the fuck out of yourself to lose that much weight.

1. Your diet sucks. Accept that fact.
    2. Eat whole foods only. If it comes out of a box, can, or restaraunt, NO.
    3. CARDIO.
    4. Get your mind right. Thinking shit like "I can't do the same workout as a dude that weights 170" is going to be an impediment to your progress not a help.

For cardio, try the Burpee challenge in the S&C forum, look in to the tabata method, or other HIT (high intensity training) methods. On second thought, burpees may not be a good idea for a guy your size.