Help me sherdog. -Karate-

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by TheReigningDefending, Feb 14, 2016.

1. TheReigningDefending

TheReigningDefending White Belt

I was born with double talipes (severe) and underwent several surgery. My last one was last year and I finally recovered well. I have done my share of grappling (judo and bjj) but unfortunately kept encountering injuries. Even after intensely commiting myself to other sports (even bodybuilding) i keep crawling back to martial arts. Recently i have been captivatied by karate ( this might not be a very wise option though ). However my problem is that i have trouble with stretch my ankle (something you see karate guys do often) and act very light footedly (trouble standing on my toes).
    So i wondered, if there are any karate guys on this forum who could help me out. Is it realistic for me to attempt karate? Will i even be able attain higher belts? Any idea is welcome :)

2. Edison Carasio

Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

I'm not familiar with the limitations your condition places on your feet. What are you able to do with them? In sene of standing flat, standing on one le?

3. TheReigningDefending

Thanks for your awnser! I understand my explaination was quite vague. I can stand on one leg, i can jump (not as high as i should) and stand flat. The main problem is the mobility of my ankles. They are fixed, a situation comparable to wearing stiff army boots. I worried that this might cause problems with kicking and movement.

4. Edison Carasio

So are you able to pull your toes towards your shins/point your heel out, and are you able to pull your toes back (away from your shins like for a round kick)?

5. biscuitsbrah

biscuitsbrah Black Belt

Damn that sounds like a big limitation. I say just try it out and do it anyway. You can always quit if it doesn't work out, don't think of it as wasting time but just trying something new.

I personally think you can still get very very good

TheReigningDefending likes this.
  6. TheReigningDefending

I am fully able to point my heel out. The other thing you describe will be rather problematic (i think my toes can move only 5 degrees from my chin)

7. Edison Carasio

A GOOD Karate instructor would be able to train you to the best of your capabilities despite any limitations. Sounds like side kicks using the heel will be fine. Karate kicks using the instep or shin may both be problematic. But there are also plenty of great hand techniques/combinations to learn as well.

I would go for it if you want to despite your difficulties. A black belt isn't about being the best fighter, it's about being the best version of yourself that you can be within the art.