Help me settle a bet

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by BusLane, Jul 19, 2010.

1. BusLane

BusLane White Belt

My friend has told me that you can't actually gain more muscle, but that the spacing between the muscle tissue grows which gives you bigger muscles.

I'm pretty sure its that the muscle swells, and that's the way your muscle is gained.

FYI, we're both idiots and claim to know everything, so any help would be....helpful.

2. rckvl

rckvl Blue Belt

3. deckingdutchman

deckingdutchman Orange Belt

"There are two different types of muscular hypertrophy: sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar. During sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, the volume of sarcoplasmic fluid in the muscle cell increases with no accompanying increase in muscular strength. During myofibrillar hypertrophy, actin and myosin contractile proteins increase in number and add to muscular strength as well as a small increase in the size of the muscle. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is characteristic of the muscles of bodybuilders while myofibrillar hypertrophy is characteristic of weightlifters.[1]"

AND

"...hypertrophy results primarily from the growth of each muscle cell, rather than an increase in the number of cells."

I copy/pasted from wikipedia cause I was too lazy to type it all out myself. It gets infinitely more complicated, but you got the basics right here.

4. deckingdutchman

deckingdutchman Orange Belt

5. scoopj

scoopj ackson

You're both wrong. It's actually the space between the space between the muscles that grows. Your friend was referring to the "outer space" which does not and cannot grow. That's day 1 stuff. The "inner space" is what "hypertrophies" and is what we're all after.

6. Bennayboi

Bennayboi Yellow Belt

WRONG. ITs the space between the space between the space that grows. Its called hypergalactictrophism. Ronnie coleman had it. The masses of useless supplements he takes feeds the space. He does a "space feeding" in this video:

7. grrthetree

grrthetree Green Belt

The space between the spaces is the muscle fibras, so the muscle is what grows. So you win the bet.

8. callador

callador Blue Belt

Pure gold... thanks for the vid. I love Ronnie.

My favorite Ronnie moment was when he was still a police officer and investigating a domestic disturbance. A young girl apparently hit her mom after a shouting match and Ronnie said, "You hit your Momma?" "If I hit my Momma, I be dead!"