help me pick my boxing trainer

Cyclone Mike

Amateur Fighter
@Green
Reaction score
so i have 2 choices, on one hand i have the mexican trainer rafa and on the other i have the black trainer jenkins. iv always been interested in mexican style boxing how they seem fearless and fierce. i am short 5'7" and about 150 pounds. i figured as a short guy i would be an inside fighter.

so i checked out rafa first since i like mexican style boxing. he doesn't speak much english and we had a bit of a communication barrier. not too much, we still discussed business and boxing just with a couple stumbles. his specialty is mexican style boxing is what iv been told.

next i talked to jenkins. his specialty is footwork. he said he trains both outboxers and inside fighters well. he said he lived in mexico for 8 years. his point in telling me that is that hed give me a mix of inside/outside and mexican/afro-american style. no communication barrier here.

tomorrow im trying out rafa and monday im trying out jenkins. i feel like one session might not be enough for me to decide, but thats all i get before i have to make a committment.

can any boxers give me some advice. thanks.

There's so much inherent racial stereotyping in this post it's not even funny, but I don't entirely doubt it's credibility.

I'll say this much, if you plan two fight "Mexican Style" you better have two things: A chin, and endless cardio.

Most traditional Mexican Fighters aren't defensive wizards, and often take half as much as they give, but they give, and give, and give, and give, and keep giving. It takes a lot of nerve, resolve, and willingness to walk into the fire.

Being more of a Boxer, stylistically, is going to require you drop some weight, unless you're naturally light on your feet. But it's tough to move in and out if you're a bigger target.

What the hell is "Afro-American style?" I didn't know there was a boxing style specifically made for black people. BTW, short doesn't = inside fighter.

Hey Rinkster this is a little off subject and do not get offended but Damn you have some good Avatar photos. let me know when you are doing another photo shoot.

Back to the original post...minus the racial overtones any style that requires you to be able to take a good hit will lead to an early retirement and being spoon fed by a nurse.

You never heard of Afro style boxing?!

sheesh, im starting to wonder about you guys..

What the hell is "Afro-American style?" I didn't know there was a boxing style specifically made for black people. BTW, short doesn't = inside fighter.

Come on, you know. Think Apollo Creed.

Come on, you know. Think Apollo Creed.

Redeemed yourself.

Apollo Creed was a prime example of the 'Afro American Style' throughout Boxings rich history. His style was too much for Phillys very own Rocky Balboa.

I saw it on a documentary.

Hey Rinkster this is a little off subject and do not get offended but Damn you have some good Avatar photos. let me know when you are doing another photo shoot.

Lol thanks. I get a bunch of PMs from dudes saying how much they love my av. Its just some random web cam slut.

you think a persons character chooses their style?

what i mean is...if a counter puncher tries to become a pressure fighter wont he just fight himself? Find himself in the middle then go oh shit lets go back to counter punching?

i guess its hard for me to explain what i mean with this. Maybe Meldrick Taylor could be an example....a guy who had the ability to hit and not be hit but chose to stay in range and go war. its in his character to go war.

when choosing between styles/coaches though it really depends on your strengths. especially when choosing between Tony or Mick. ya know?

EDIT: its a hot web cam slut.:D

are u serious-man i know u know better

i think picking a trainer is a)matter of their knowledge b)style and c) ability to communicate; but also d)their ability to get you to buy into what they are doing, if u don't have any faith or comfort w/said trainer it won't matter what they show you.

To keep it simple and get back on track:

what kinda style are you leaning towards to?

that's the best way to determine who will make a better fit

i really just want to be able to stay inside and be able to go to town on the body while evading punches. im new to boxing boxing, but thats what i want to do.

and dont jump all over me for saying "afro-american style" those were jenkins EXACT words. thats the only reason i said that. "afro-american style... i got that" is what he said.

There's just not really a such thing.

i really just want to be able to stay inside and be able to go to town on the body while evading punches. im new to boxing boxing, but thats what i want to do.

and dont jump all over me for saying "afro-american style" those were jenkins EXACT words. thats the only reason i said that. "afro-american style... i got that" is what he said.

See here's the thing - style doesn't really matter at this point does it? The basics of boxing up to a pretty intermediate level are the same, and a good coach should be able to teach whatever style. Sure Mexicans are known for tenacity and ferocity, but any coach will have a stable of fighters spanning the spectrum of styles. By definition in all sports, a good coach molds athletes based on the individual athletes' attributes and talents, not the coach's preference. He should be able to see what type of person you are.

I have a friend who was "mexican trained" so to speak, but his coach taught him an in-out style emphasizing footwork, because that was just the type of person he was.

Back