Help me make life decisions

facePuncher7

Founder of the militant wing of the Salvation Army
@Brown
Reaction score
Im 28, live in Australia, single, have a day job and 2 after-hours personal projects/businesses that I run.

I'm doing pretty ok, but I have a desire to drop everything I have going on here in Aus and move to Thailand for 6 months, using the time and isolation to dedicate specifically to 2 endevours - training/personal wellbeing and my app development business.

At present I have enough money saved to be comfortable over seas for 6 months, maybe a bit more, and that isn't taking into account the roughly $100 a week I have coming in from my business that happens wether I get out of bed or not.

The pros and con's of either side for me:

STAY HERE
Pros -
Established routine.
Friends.
Work going pretty well, getting skilled up.

Cons -
Little autonomy or variation in my work - bores me to tears.
Circle of friends dwindling as people move away for work/study/marriage etc.
Unsatisfied entrepreneurial/adventurous drive.

GET THE F#$% OUTTA HERE
Pros -
Love Thailand, food, people, muay thai etc. (Typical whitey)
Already have a handful of friends and connections there, both Thai and expat.
Would love the freedom to really invest in my pet project fully and hopefully see it flourish.
I've wanted to make a muay Thai based game for quite some time and being entrenched in the scene whilst working on it would be perfect.

Cons -
Leaving behind existing situations, friends and work etc.
If all fails, I come back broke with no place to stay and start over again.

Hard decision to make, and there is that cliche little voice saying you only live once, but I also fear ultimately making myself destitute chasing a dream on a shoe string.

Please weigh in with opinions and experience if you would comrades.

Do it. You're halfway through the good years of your life. If not now, when?

It sounds like you have friends in both places, so that's not the issue.

It seems to me you just don't like your day job. You did note you want to spend more time on your app development business. There's no reason you can't do that where you currently reside.

Why not take a 2,3 week vacation to Thailand, visit those friends and recharge the batteries, then go home, find a better day job, and work on your app development at the same time?

It appears to boil down to the reality you just don't like your primary job. Perhaps try fixing that first, and again throw in a holiday with that "6 months of money" you have, banking the rest to sustain you while you seek a new daytime position.

All the best man, I hope it works out for you

dude your internet is capped in australia that's reason enough to get the FUCK out of there

As far as I know we only get this one life to live.

If it were me, I'd go to Thailand.

I think you're fortunate in that you feel compelled to start down an exciting path.

Do it.

Sounds like you are imagining scenarios that are much worse than the likely outcomes even the plan goes tits up.

You could just order Thai food and a ladyboy.

As far as I know we only get this one life to live.

Yes, so why not make it as short and miserable as possible by scrubbing away at a Thai gym floor just because you're a whitey who decided to casually pick up muai thai in a hard core Thai gym at the age of f*****g 30.

TS, you do realise that there are better ways to treat dissatisfaction with your day job, with means other than abandoning your life and picking up that one thing you dreamed of doing as a teenager as a means of earning your daily bread?

Go vacation there for a month or so, try the lifestyle for a few weeks before you decide on either the boring option or the incomprehensibly stupid one.

Honestly. If there isn't someone in your life you feel is worth staying for. And I'm talking a s other/young nephew not a friend, go for it. I'd do the same to chicago but can't imagine being away from a few people at this point in life. You sound ready, kill it and let us know

If you're still there (Australia) you have made the wrong decision.

Better to go there for like a month or something before deciding, see if you like it and all that.

Also consider the ladyboys, is that a pro or con for you?

Focus on Mootor City. That was you, right?

If eating up all your savings is a big minus, why not save up for the 6 month adventure specifically? Might involve cutting costs or getting a different job to speed up the process, but at least you won't feel like you're wasting the savings you've cobbled together.

And yeah, I think it's a great idea. Soon enough you're likely to have real things that keep you in place. If freedom is what you have a lot of at the moment, use it.

It sounds like you have friends in both places, so that's not the issue.

It seems to me you just don't like your day job. You did note you want to spend more time on your app development business. There's no reason you can't do that where you currently reside.

Why not take a 2,3 week vacation to Thailand, visit those friends and recharge the batteries, then go home, find a better day job, and work on your app development at the same time?

It appears to boil down to the reality you just don't like your primary job. Perhaps try fixing that first, and again throw in a holiday with that "6 months of money" you have, banking the rest to sustain you while you seek a new daytime position.

All the best man, I hope it works out for you

Sounds like he's already done the 2-4 week vacation over there which is why he wants to extend for a 6 month stay (possibly longer).

I've already spent 1 month staying at a gym outside Bangkok, and another 2 weeks adventuring around/scoutibg areas I might like to stay.

My hope is to get my $100 a week income from apps up to a full time wage at least. The 6 months would be structured in some sense, I know what apps I want to work on and how long each will take roughly.

Whatever the outcome I'd be coming back, I'd just like to be comfortable when I return.

It seems like you're leaning towards going to Thailand but the con is very big.

Sounds like he's already done the 2-4 week vacation over there which is why he wants to extend for a 6 month stay (possibly longer).

And if the reason is because he wants to be there, then absolutely.
But the impression Im getting is that he just doesn't like his job and is looking for a means to fix that.

The issue is also not so much the job I have, but that I have a passion for something so everything else feels like a waste of time.

Not sure everyone can relate to that, some clearly don't.

Go. Follow your dream and make it happen. If you fail, at least you know you tried to do something and not regret doing nothing when you are old and still bored with your job.

The issue is also not so much the job I have, but that I have a passion for something so everything else feels like a waste of time.

Not sure everyone can relate to that, some clearly don't.

The truth is when you find something/someone to go after, do it. You'll spend the next months wondering why I you stayed in a place you felt was better giving up

Back