Help me find the gi I'm looking for

fighting.spirit

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I apologize if there are hundreds of these threads. I sent PMs to a couple of guys, but no reply.

The first good gi I purchased was the Vulkan Pro Light. Very light and comfortable, but a bit too light for my taste. The collar is very easy to manipulate. The next gi, I got as a gift, was the Venum Power gi (goldweave). Although the collar is very sturdy and very hard to manipulate, the gi itself is very heavy. I find that it restricts my movement during rolling sessions and I can barely breathe in it.

I've been looking for a gi that's not too light and not too heavy, breathable, comfortable and has a sturdy collar. I thought the Koral Classic would be the one, but when I got the chance to see it, it turned out to be an exact replica of the Vulkan Pro. Same weave, same lightness, same collar. I could swear it was the same gi, only with Koral patches (I hear they come out of the same factory).

What do you guys think? I was thinking of the Atama Mundial 9 and the Keiko Raca Limited Edition. If anybody that has experience with these two, can compare them to the earlier mentioned kimonos, that would be awesome. Any input would be great, also.

Thanks guys

After all those PMs, you still didn't get the Isami? :) Pull the trigger on that bad boy.

The mundial is a solid gi, and I don't think you'll hear much bad about it. Keiko is very hit or miss from what I've seen, and I think they suffer from quality control issues. I've seen plenty of them that look like shit, with fraying everywhere after only a few months. I even saw a past instructor rip somebody's collar in two demonstrating a choke, something I've never seen with any other gi.

After all those PMs, you still didn't get the Isami? :) Pull the trigger on that bad boy.

The mundial is a solid gi, and I don't think you'll hear much bad about it. Keiko is very hit or miss from what I've seen, and I think they suffer from quality control issues. I've seen plenty of them that look like shit, with fraying everywhere after only a few months. I even saw a past instructor rip somebody's collar in two demonstrating a choke, something I've never seen with any other gi.

Haha. Actually, the Isami is a done deal. I just haven't used it yet. A friend is bringing it back with him, for me. Would you say it fits the description, btw? I wonder why I barely see anybody using it for competition.

I've also never read anything bad about the mundial, but I wonder if it's what I'm looking for. Hmm, really? You wouldn't think so, knowing all of the top fighters they sponsor (Roger Gracie, Marcelo Garcia, etc..).

I think the Isami fits the bill and I could only see you not liking it much for competition if you prefer a more tapered cut.

The only thing I don't like about Atamas are the long skirts, but I'm a short dude and that probably doesn't help. Easy enough to have hemmed, though.

I'm sure the sponsored guys get new Keikos all the time so them wearing out probably isn't a factor. I'v seen some old ass Keikos that were still in great shape but I've seen a whole slew of newer ones just straight falling apart.

The Vulkan and Koral cut is almost identical as I believe they made by the same factory.

Gameness also follows the koral cut pretty much with slight differences. I believe the new OTM gis also have a similar cut. I just got the RSC420 gi and it is almost identical to the Koral Light weight gi except it comes with ripstop pants. The SLC420 is very similar to my Koral Classic but it is a bit softer and again comes with ripstop pants.

I think the Isami fits the bill and I could only see you not liking it much for competition if you prefer a more tapered cut.

The only thing I don't like about Atamas are the long skirts, but I'm a short dude and that probably doesn't help. Easy enough to have hemmed, though.

I'm sure the sponsored guys get new Keikos all the time so them wearing out probably isn't a factor. I'v seen some old ass Keikos that were still in great shape but I've seen a whole slew of newer ones just straight falling apart.

Yeah, I thought so. Is that why you don't really see it at comps? I wonder why they don't sponsor any big names.

I actually don't mind the longer skirts. I like the look.

Not cool.

i was recommend staying away from the mundial 9, if u dont like feeling smothered. i owned an a2 mundial 9 and it felt like a sauna, the carioca weave does not breathe at all and it was baggy in the chest. the keiko raca is a solid gi, decent collar and great looking. the only downfall is that they fade really fast, and the sleeves are judo style baggy. i'd recommend Fushida, Shoyoroll (if u can get one), and fuji (price cant be beat, great collar, cut is awesome, and the color holds great.

i was recommend staying away from the mundial 9, if u dont like feeling smothered. i owned an a2 mundial 9 and it felt like a sauna, the carioca weave does not breathe at all and it was baggy in the chest. the keiko raca is a solid gi, decent collar and great looking. the only downfall is that they fade really fast, and the sleeves are judo style baggy. i'd recommend Fushida, Shoyoroll (if u can get one), and fuji (price cant be beat, great collar, cut is awesome, and the color holds great.

Thank you for the input. The Fushida looks awesome. I'd like to read more about it. Thanks again.

Back