Help me choose...RTX 2070 or PS4 Pro w/ RDR2

Rygu

R.I.P. Obie
@Gold
Reaction score
I've done nothing but save money the last 9-10 months I feel the need to spend a bit, can't decide which to buy.

Help me.

I've done nothing but save money the last 9-10 months I feel the need to spend a bit, can't decide which to buy.

Help me.

Few questions:
  • What is your current video card?
  • Would you play more games on a PS4 Pro than RDR2?

Few questions:
  • What is your current video card?
  • Would you play more games on a PS4 Pro than RDR2?
Current card is a 970

Not sure, although NHL 19 looks pretty fun, not sure what PS4 exclusive game are coming out in the near future.

I've been an Nvidia fanboy since 3dfx went bust but the RTX launch has been such a clownshow. Get a PS4 Pro for not only RDR2 but the exclusives it offers.

If you have a 4k TV? I'd go with the PS4 Pro. It'll handle 4 output better than the 970.

That RTX 2070 will be fantastic for 4k though!

Just depends on what you plan on playing. I'd get an Xbox One X and Red Dead 2 if I was you.

Just depends on what you plan on playing. I'd get an Xbox One X and Red Dead 2 if I was you.

I thinking about getting a one x, and one of the pc cases I have is a core v21 which is “stackable” with another case , I’ve been contemplating gutting my current Xbox and putting it in another core case and stacking them, probubaly won’t do it but it’s something I’ve been thinking about.

I've been an Nvidia fanboy since 3dfx went bust but the RTX launch has been such a clownshow. Get a PS4 Pro for not only RDR2 but the exclusives it offers.
This. The 970 is still about on par with a GTX 1060 3GB, but with an extra gig of VRAM, and so remains in the sweet spot for PC gaming, right now, where the standard is still 1080p.

Did you buy a new 1440p or 4K monitor/tv? Do you already own a regular PS4? If no to both, this seems like a no-brainer to me. You can add a whole new ecosystem to your gaming, when from your OP, it's apparent you didn't mention any specific PC game where your 970 is bottlenecking your framerate or graphical settings.

Current card is a 970

Not sure, although NHL 19 looks pretty fun, not sure what PS4 exclusive game are coming out in the near future.

Your 970 not giving good enough performance?

Do you overclock your 970? If not just download an app Ike msi afterburner to get a few extra FPS out of the 970 and use the cash for a ps4 pro.

2070 if you have a nice monitor with a higher hz. If you dont, maybe the ps4 pro is the better option.

Ever since I upgraded to a 1440p 144hz monitor, my ps4 pro turned into the roku.

Help me.

You aren't going to want to hear this, but you must buy both. RDR2 on PS4 Pro is fucking amazing, just an overall epic fucking game,. I'm only about 2 hours in, but it just is.

That said, what card do you have now? You may get away with just the PS4 for now. I have a single 1080ti and the x2000 is honestly the first time since the x500 series where I don't even want to upgrade. I'm gonna wait at least another 6 months to upgrade but honestly if Metro game runs fine then I'll probably wait a year, when RDR2 finally releases on PC. :)

Honestly, the 2080ti is want you want for 4K. We kept being told the 1080 gen was the 4K killer and it clearly wasn't. The 2070 isn't even faster than the 1080ti.

Of course if you are ok with lowering things like AO, shadows, and AA, the 2070 could work pretty well.

Last edited:

Help me.
Get the PS4 pro and rdr2 and spiderman. Two great open world games that have a lot of replay value.

It's a good card but I'd like to play GTA5 at 4k at full eye candy.

Hate to break it to you, but the 2070 isn't powerful enough for that. My 1080ti can't even run it at 4K 60fps and it's significantly faster than the 2070.

You would need the 2080 for that which is on par with the 1080ti but has more memory and ray tracing support. But in reality, you would need the 2080ti to run GTA V fully maxed at 4K 60fps with mods. It's really that demanding.

If youre wanting to expand your game library, get the PS4 Pro. If youre wanting to play RDR2 with the best graphics, get an Xbox One X.

If your after playing rdr2 then id go xbox one x

As for the card id go 1080ti over 2070

But if i had to choose between the two .. Pc gaming over console everyday of the week

I wonder how all those people that spent thousands of dollars over the years in GTA5 will take it that a new king of the jungle has came out

Back