Help Karate Sparring

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by td82394, Oct 6, 2010.

1. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

Okay, so I was sparring, right? And I was doing pretty good at mid-range, but being a power puncher, I wanted to close the distance even more. So I did what I always do. I inch forward and block as necessary. And when I'm close enough to start pulverizing his body, he executes a hip toss and drops me on the floor. Now, this is perfectly okay. Throws are legal for those of the boxing/muay thai ilk. But they just tire me out like crazy. The second I get back up, I feel like Shane Carwin probably did after round 1. So here's what I'm basically trying to ask:

1. Do I need to be that close to land power shots to the body?

2. If so, how can I make sure that I don't get tossed around?

2. EVIL5150

EVIL5150 Brown Belt

You shouldn't need to be in clinch range to effectively strike to the body. When closing distance, try to use your footwork to counter time your opponent's attacks. Instead of inching forward, try working angles and coming in behind your opponent's attacks when he misses.

Maybe set up your body shots with shots from the outside, (jab high, straight to the body. Or, Overhand right, left hook to the body.)

I like to use kicks to help bridge the gap. (low right round-land forward in right lead, right jab, left hook to the body)

If you're getting hip-tossed, you're in too deep. Back out with your footwork, or work on using your own clinch and dirty boxing to keep your opponent from getting a penetration step on you.

3. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

Well, I mean, I only work the body cuz we don't hit each other in the face at my dojo. If we did, I'd be throwing overhand rights all day. In a real fight, I don't even really care about where I'm hitting, I just throw where I see an opening. But in Karate, it's just courtesy that you don't hit each other in the face. And I usually only use angles when I'm working against other power punchers. But I guess maybe I can use the clinch if it's ok with my sensei...

thank you, though, and I will keep a lot of that in mind.

4. Godhand13

Godhand13 White Belt

Tasmania, Australia. It's the little island at the
    try some kicks to put him on the defensive and to close in, then attack with punches. You don't have to be in clinch range to land good body shots

5. LEGS MAHONEY

LEGS MAHONEY genetically modified man shark

6. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

If you are easily getting hip tossed when you think you are close enough to power punch you are either getting way to close, or are not actually punching with power.

Considering the overhand right is not a technique used in Karate, and is much abused in MMA,(4 out 5 overhands should be crosses), have you Sensi check you sparring game plan. I know you are not using them becuase of no face punches, but based on your willingness to use them if face was legal, it makes me think you are using to much of a boxer's game in Karate. The close power punch for a good Karate fighter is the straight reverse/obverse/rear hand punch. It is really hard to close to a hip throw against good short straight shots.

On the other hand if you are stepping in and trying to throw close body hooks, you are giving the guy the hip toss. He step in to the rotation, jams a hip against you and grabs gi and pulls. You get laid out, he gets untouched.

7. mjw1

mjw1 Blue Belt

You shouldn't have to be in quite that close to power hit the body and knowing when to move in and out may help you not get tossed or counter throws like blocking the hips.

8. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

Well, it's true that I wasn't able to get a shot off before he tossed me... thanks, though. Maybe I am using to much of a boxer's game. I've always kind of done that. And I'll work on getting in and out, too.

9. EVIL5150

EVIL5150 Brown Belt

Hmm yeah, these guys may be right. I was thinking of kickboxing and mma, in Karate you probably shouldn't throwing too many hooks to the body. Keep your body shots straight. It's impossible for your opponent to get his hip past your if you're posting on his ribs with a short tight straight.

Also try changing levels to power punch the body. I know Karatika like to throw down from the shoulder, but the more you lower your hips the more powerful your attack will be. Changing levels also has the added benefit of evading high attacks.

10. mjw1

mjw1 Blue Belt

Try the crane kick jk

Just keep practicing eventually you will get it or ask the more experienced people at your gym to help you out. THe ones who say stuff like I just spent more time at the gym thats all aren't really willing to help you though as some people do because they want to stay on top so ask around if you encounter that.......

11. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

As afolow on to this, if you are fighting from a higher T or boxer esque stance, when you close to throw the straight rear give your self enough room to shift in to a long low front stance as you throw it. It will back a wallop, but be sure it is okay to really unload on your partner before you do this. It is one of the old power skills used to deliver power through the old japanese armor. The stuff was great against a lot of stuff, but you could still slam it hard enough to take the fight out of the wearer.