Help! I can't properly squat/activate glutes

BeLegit

White Belt
Reaction score
It's gotten better, but I have no glute activation, little hamstring activation, as well as core activation. It's like these areas are detached from my body and I don't even feel them.

My back takes over. I try to do lunges and squats but it's very awkward and I can feel that I'm not doing it right.

Can you guys please guide me? My ass is flat as a pancake for christ's sake.

Thanks!

Are you going below parallel? Low bar or high bar? Foot width? Toe angle? Can you provide more details about your form?

Regarding your back "taking over" it almost sounds like you need to concentrate on keeping your chest up too.

I actually use kettle bells but this issue goes beyond simply working out. When I'm bending over to pick things up I use my back rather than my legs. It makes yard work brutal.

I'll work on a video.

Baaaaahhhh

You say you can't squat / activate glutes but you don't actually squat?

Go squat a barbell for a few months, then come back here if you still have a problem.

My ass is flat as a pancake for christ's sake

Stop complaining if you're not doing anything about it. Go squat.

What worked for me, go DEEP on your squats.

Last edited:
Baaaaahhhh

You say you can't squat / activate glutes but you don't actually squat?

Go squat a barbell for a few months, then come back here if you still have a problem.

Stop complaining if you're not doing anything about it. Go squat.

The whole point is that when I do try to squat, my body mechanics aren't working properly enough to actually squat properly.

The whole point is that when I do try to squat, my body mechanics aren't working properly enough to actually squat properly.

Can you squat the bar to proper depth? What about box squats? If yes to either, practice that, and gradually refine your technique, and increase the weight. If no, then you probably have issues that are better dealt with by a doctor of sports medcine, a physiotherapist, or competent trainer or coach.

first go squat

next do othher things that use your legs go run sprints and such to get used to using them.

sumo deadlift high pulls while they do use your back use your legs well too.

Last edited:

It takes practice, and lots of it. Watch the Squat Rx series, and take whatever you can from that. Also you might need to work on flexibility, so start stretching those hip flexors.

T NATION | Neanderthal No More - Part 1
I have to credit miaou for linking me to that article a while back. You might want to read that, there are at least 5 parts. It takes a long time to read and some effort to diagnose yourself from the article but I personally found it helpful. Even if you don't follow the routine in part 4, you can still find out what your problem is and then address them in the weight room and with better habits. An example of better habits: this might sound funny, but if Im bending over any time, like when Im brushing my teeth, or to pick something up during yard work, I either push my ass back, lumbar spine and sacrum straight, and bend at the waist like I'm doing a romanian deadlift, or I squat down deep. When I sit at my desk at work all day, I try to keep my back straight, shoulders back, head back, and chin tucked. If I'm leaning against something like the back of chair or a wall, or laying on a bench, I keep my shoulder blades pulled together flat against that surface. You have to get in the habit of using correct mechanics and good posture.

Last edited:
Spread the floor with your heels, drive your knees outward, lock your spine in place and look up as if you are looking to the moon... If you do this exactly as i say there is no way in hell you WONT get hip flexor, glute, posterior chain activation:icon_chee

gtfo.jpg

if you can't squat with weights, or squat bw properly, do wall sits. then vary the height in which you're doing a wall sit. then do high box squats at bw, then lower the box till its gone at bw, then start adding weights with dumbells.

Not everyone can start off with an olympic barbell.

Forget going heavy and get the form correct first, or you'll just be practicing crap that will hurt you.

Just watch Rippetoe's vids on youtube. I never really knew how to do a proper squat. He advocates a wider stance with toes pointed outward slightly. Much different than what I was doing (squatting with my feet in a deadlift/overhead press position). Going deep in that stance and sitting back in your heels really activates the entire legs. Basically just watch some Rippetoe vids and really focus on your form.

Spread the floor with your heels, drive your knees outward, lock your spine in place and look up as if you are looking to the moon... If you do this exactly as i say there is no way in hell you WONT get hip flexor, glute, posterior chain activation:icon_chee

What he said. Except maybe the part about looking up. It's what i always thought you shoud do, but Rippetoe says look down or straight ahead.

Just watch Rippetoe's vids on youtube. I never really knew how to do a proper squat. He advocates a wider stance with toes pointed outward slightly. Much different than what I was doing (squatting with my feet in a deadlift/overhead press position). Going deep in that stance and sitting back in your heels really activates the entire legs. Basically just watch some Rippetoe vids and really focus on your form.

Not having a wide enough stance is one of the reasons I had problems with squats in the past. I think it's one of the reasons my knees gave me trouble. I've started squating again with a much wider stance and it just feels better, I can go down further and my knees don't give me pain on the way back up.

What he said. Except maybe the part about looking up. It's what i always thought you shoud do, but Rippetoe says look down or straight ahead.

I do not know rippetoe nor will i give you my powerlifting resume...ok I will... 590 at 181... not world class by any means. Looking straight MAY be ok but dont ever look down. You will release the tension in your spinal muscles causing you to lean forward.. very dangerous... Ive noticed some people citing elite FTS videos etc. I have yet to see a serious squatter ever look down... futhermore Louie Simmons ( if you know who he is) would slap your ass and say HEAD UP !!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_chee P. S squash your shoulder blades back and you will automatically tilt your head up!!

Back