Help! Half guard backwards roll sweep

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by CasualBJJ, Sep 16, 2013.

1. CasualBJJ

CasualBJJ White Belt

I am looking for online video/instructionals for a half guard pass counter where you are on the bottom and the opponent switches hips to face your legs, and you do a backwards roll before he can yank his leg out.

It's explained here, but I'd like several walkthroughs to get different variations/perspectives:
    Shortcut to the actual roll: http://youtu.be/laFnNsrbgjM?t=1m44s

Does anyone have any favorites?
    Thank you!
    [YT]laFnNsrbgjM?t=1m44s[/YT]

2. Solidus Snake

Solidus Snake Purple Belt

My favourite is definitely not getting caught there :) . It's the HG pass that I feel the most difficulty to contrast if the opponent knows how to put his hips..

In nogi, I find it a little more easy to defend it, especially if they leaves the free leg too near my arms, I can often grab it and scramble into a leglock position.

3. DVD review guy

DVD review guy Green Belt

Marcelo covers the "back step pass" weekly. So, MGinaction. You will get both, top and bottom techniques. Tons of material!

Caio Terra's half guard dvd covers it, he calls it the "inverted half guard"

Ryan Hall covers it in both his dvd's, "back takes" and "deep half guard"

4. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

I think I know what you're talking about. It's not a backwards roll though, it's a shoulder roll. Basically it's just a berimbolo. I use it all the time when guys try to pass my DLR guard by sitting to reverse half guard. You just go right into the berimbolo roll as soon as you feel him starting to sit down.

5. codemonkey76

codemonkey76 Black Belt

Other than the backroll sweep, here is another couple of options.

OK, So the guy on top will either have head control or have his elbow under your armpit, and the technique varies depending on that.

1st, assuming head control
    • grip his pants at the knee and glue his knee to your stomach so he can't switch around and go to knee slide or get a lot of separation.
    • Your other hand will grip his lapel behind his neck.
    • Switch your halfguard to a butterfly hook with the outside leg, and close your other leg over the top to prevent him stepping out.
    • Pull the lapel grip backwards at the same time you lift your hook and get your head on the inside (on his chest), turn your face towards his chest
    • Keeping your hook in the air step your other leg on the floor and hip escape and come on top.

2nd he is under your armpit
    • turn your belly slightly to the floor and get your bottom elbow underneath you.
    • reach across his back gripping his belt with your forearm along his spine so you can press your elbow into his upper back
    • In one motion let your half-guard go, hip escape and slide your knee under your opponents hips and hip escape to the back (your elbow should be applying pressure to push the opponents face towards the mat.)

6. ben35

ben35 White Belt

Is there a good no-gi option?

7. codemonkey76

codemonkey76 Black Belt

you can do both in gi or no-gi, instead of the lapel grip in the first one, u cup the shoulder/neck, and at the knee i just cup behind the knee and hold it against my body.

for the second one it's a little harder without the belt grip, but it's also easier to sneak out, just a little riskier for them to take your back. Use the same hand positioning but you need to hip escape a little more agressively to keep moving to the back.

8. YellowFury

YellowFury Blue Belt

did i just get tricked into watching a submissions 101 video?

9. DVD review guy

DVD review guy Green Belt

Ironic, the video I just watch on MGinAction, Marcelo sparring with Bernardo Faria (newest video) at the 4:33 mark, Marcelo steps out landing in the north/south.

TS, Get a promo code from someone. Like I noted in a earlier post, he ends up in this version of the half guard almost every sparring session.

10. CasualBJJ

CasualBJJ White Belt

Thank you!

11. CasualBJJ

CasualBJJ White Belt

These are good options. I did not have some of the detail on the first one, and have not really tried the second one.. Thanks!

12. CasualBJJ

CasualBJJ White Belt

:icon_lol: Well, that's the only one I could find with the sweep I had in mind. Why, do Sub101 guys have a bad rep?

13. jr jr

jr jr Purple Belt

Caio's stuff from here is money

14. codemonkey76

codemonkey76 Black Belt

Also that same sweep works when they back step your half-guard to reverse half-guard. It works brilliantly if you can hit it in transition. This is very high percentage for me.