Help-getting wrist locked while getting armbarred

TexDeuce

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Ok was rolling with one of my partners and was in his guard when he started to get an armbar on my left arm. I stood up to stack him and I grabbed my left wrist with my right hand to prevent my arm from getting 'barred.

I wasn't in to much danger and was pulling out of it when he just puts his hands on my wrist and starts pushing it straight down into a wristlock. It didn't hurt to bad but enough for me to tap to prevent injury. I went the next day with him, and he got an armbar on me from him being in the mount. I grabbed my wrist again to prevent the bar, when he wristlocked me again. I was pretty pissed to get tapped by a damn wristlock that took no effort other than to just push my wrist down.

My question---------how do I prevent this? I'm a blue belt but have never been wristlocked before and am really unfamiliar with them. If someone could tell me how to prevent this that would be great. Thanks.

I believe this method is shown in Mike Swain's Complete Judo tapes as a way to straighten the arm out. It's illegal to do a straight wrist lock in competition because it's small joint manipulation, and the move itself is supposed to make you stop struggling to fight the bar. Your best bet is to prevent the armbar by moving your body and turning, instead of brute strength.

wrist locks are legal in competition, just not at white and blue belt i believe.

to answer your question, dont defend the armbar that way

i believe the grip your using exposes your wrist.

until lately you probably never even needed to have awareness there.

you got to hide your wrists man.

At that point u think it is possible to peel of the fingers of his sole hand holding ya wrist, ayt the same time still pulling 2 get out of the armbar?

Ball you hand into a tight fist, like a punch, when you are going for the escape.

If you keep your wrist too limp, it leaves you open for the wrist lock, and if you get wrist locked it hurts, then you concentrate on that and forget about the arm bar. Then all of the sudden you find yourself in an arm bar.

tequilaman said:
Ball you hand into a tight fist, like a punch, when you are going for the escape.

was going to say this. The onyl way I can stop someone from getting a wrist lock on when they are trying a armbar or kimura is by doing that.

In BJJ and subwrestling the wristlock is legal. It is also one of many legitimate moves to make you release your grip so they can get the armlock. The defenses for it are just like any other submission, don't get put in it. If you start to feel the wristlock you are going to need to switch to a different defense. Using the lion killer grip to defend against the armlock is much better than hand-to-hand defense. At least using the lion killer grip you won't get hit with the wristlock,

Defend the armbar using proper technique.

I like to defend the armbar by doing a grip like the
one where your standing arms crossed all confident.
that hides your wrist.

It is quite amusing how some time ago people did not believe in wristlocks at all, thankfully people like Garcia proved them doubters wrong, anyone else noticed?

So what would be the proper way to defend the armbar as a last ditch effort? Obviously not to get there is the answer, but I am talking about when shit has hit the fan and the only thing saving your arm is you holding it with your other hand. What is the lion killer grip? Is it when you hook your hand in between your forearm and bicep? As for making a fist, that sounds like a good idea.

Cynic said:
It is quite amusing how some time ago people did not believe in wristlocks at all, thankfully people like Garcia proved them doubters wrong, anyone else noticed?
anyone who has rolled with a tradional jiu jitsu person understands that wrist locks are VERY effective.

my instructor is a bb in tjj

and when we are rolling for self defense and not judo. You've got to watch EVERYTHING. He's really good at doing thumb submissions.

its not exactly last ditch when you're holding your arm. its last ditch when its being extended, and you can try to pull a hitchhiker escape. if i have time to grab my own arm, i will use an arm triangle grip as someone already said.

Use another grip.
Like a closed three finger grip or a "grab fingers with fingers". You can also use a bicep grab, like when you make a RNC and use your free hand to grab his leg that's across your neck.

i got caught into that too. its just a part of the game, no reason to get upset about it.

when you're on your back and his legs are cross your face and body with him going for the armbar, you're pretty much fucked anyway.

Back