help from New Yorkers

T

thaiking

I putting this thread on all the rooms for maximum results

Whats up I haven't posted here in a while, but I wanted to ask the forum, I just moved back to NYC (BROOKLYN) and am looking to get back into training does anyone 1 know any good gyms in brooklyn queens for MMA, Thai Boxing or BJJ. I Know there is a lot of gyms in Manhattan but I hate taking the trains for an hr. to get to the city.

Also does someone know any inexpensive gyms because I forgot how expensive the gyms in NYC can be lol. Seriously it is rediculous and everyone has the same excuse "rent, nyc is the most expensive place in the world" helll ATT facility in Coconut creek, Fl is a very expensive area in south florida and they still manage to charge 110 month for unlimted training. Go to San Fransisco and there 20-30% cheaper than NYC and SF is kown to be the most expensive cost of living in the US lolol it's crazy sometimes.

Does anyone train here in Vee jitsu because I saw a new gym not too far from me called Vee jitsu school in Broolyn and wanted to know there take on the system, I have heard of it over the years but never knew what the system was fully about.

I believe that one of the instructors at my karate school is from the Vee Jitsu lineage. To my knowledge it is a style more akin to Aki Jiujitsu, though I do believe that some of instructors from the Master Vee lineage may have added other aspects tot he style. I do remember searching for MT schools in NYC and seeing something about Vee Thai or something along those lines. I found this link for vee jitsu:

http://www.veearnisjitsu.com/system.htm

Karateka666

I hear there muay thai is just for conditioning nothng more, it just ag work , more like a tae bo no sparring

thaiking said:
I hear there muay thai is just for conditioning nothng more, it just ag work , more like a tae bo no sparring

I think it would depend on the particular school and who is teaching. I heard that David James has a very impressive school (never been there or seen it) by a guy who used to be a NYC bouncer. He also told me that they got Frank Shamrock to do a seminar there. I never verified either of these statements, so I can't tell you if they are true or not. But from what the bouncer told me, it did sound like he did alot more than just the traditional aki-jiujitsu stuff.

I think vee jitsu is over complicated self-defense system, if I would do self-defense i would much rather go with senshido or ww2 combatives know what I mean

By the way in Astoria queens, I know of two MT places on Steinway street. The first one is Sitan Muay Thai 9or at least I believe that is the name of the place). It is a TKD/MT school (though from every time I passed by it seems a little more MT than TKD). The other place is another school over on the same block as a BlockBuster. It should be a block away from Kai Leung's Shotokai school. That place has boxing, MT, BJJ and some other stuff. They even tried to have wrestling also, but I don't think they could get enough students (too bad). They have a kind of weird sort of set up. You pay for membership( I believe that they have different plans (monthly/quarterly/yearly). Then you also pay for the classes. I believe it is a sliding scale such that you will pay more for BJJ than you would for Aki-jiujitsu or karate ( I think they also teach kempo).

I don't know how far away from you these places are or even how good they are. If they aren't too far away maybe you should check them out.

KarateKa666

thaiking said:
I think vee jitsu is over complicated self-defense system, if I would do self-defense i would much rather go with senshido or ww2 combatives know what I mean

While I couldn't argue that any or the aikido or akijiujitsu schools or techniques being complicated or taking time to master, depending on the situation I am not sure how great it would be to use senshido or ww2 combatives in certain situations. While I assume from their website that senshido is pretty effective in stopping and dropping an aggressor (at least on my knowledge of reality based MA) and ww2 combatives are sure to do the same, I wonder if they might be a bit limited in options.

WW2 combatives were created for people in a kill or be killed situation. US soldiers had very few limits put on them in reguards to killing Axis soldiers (for the most part this was a highly rewarded activity). Likewise, from what I can see from the senshido web site, they seem to teach a very brutal and tough style of art that seems to deal with the situations that are pretty much endgame (win or die) situations. And that is all good, if you only expect to fight in the street (outsided of the academy/dojo/dojang/ring) in an all or nothing scenerio (or if you plan on going to irag or aghanistan). If you do ever wind up in a situation that is less than a lose or die situation, you might have to deal with the legal reprocussions.

For better or worse society has limited what is a self defense scenerio and what you reasonably can do. For example, if you are trapped in a back alley with no place to escape and are confronted with an armed attacker that you have a reasonable belief that they will harm you (beat/kill/rape) I doubt that you will generally have any legal problems with gouging out their eye, fishhooking them and then breaking their spine. They would have just picked on the wrong person. On the other hand, if some giuy disrespects your girlfriend in a bar or club, they law is going to take a grim stance on you gouging out their eye, fishhooking them and then breaking their spines.

As for Vee-jitsu and its spin offs: I knew one person who studied under a student of Master Vees who told me that it took around five years to earn a black belt under their system if you train hard. This is not a relatively not a long time to learn most arts. Furthermore I also know that they aren't a mcdojo: if you have a bb from these guys, while you won't be death incarnate you will be pretty profficient in their art.

Finally not to put down arts like senshido or ww2 combatives, they both seem pretty interesting and could really round out your total knowledge adn are pretty useful in the right situations. The thing is, IMHO, they don't necessarily fit in all situations: would you really want you cousin using senshido to subdue you uncle wilford who has been drinking a little too much at the family reunion and has gotten a little out of hand. On the other hand, if happen to wind up on the subway fighting a suicide bomber who is about to kill you and everyone on the train are you really going to try to subdue them. Personally, if I was about to go to Iraq, Aghanistan or prison I would be training everyday at a place similiar to senseido ( maybe the Russian System) or WW2 combatives.

Well good luck anyway and happy fighting,
Karateka666

karateka666 said:
While I couldn't argue that any or the aikido or akijiujitsu schools or techniques being complicated or taking time to master, depending on the situation I am not sure how great it would be to use senshido or ww2 combatives in certain situations. While I assume from their website that senshido is pretty effective in stopping and dropping an aggressor (at least on my knowledge of reality based MA) and ww2 combatives are sure to do the same, I wonder if they might be a bit limited in options.

WW2 combatives were created for people in a kill or be killed situation. US soldiers had very few limits put on them in reguards to killing Axis soldiers (for the most part this was a highly rewarded activity). Likewise, from what I can see from the senshido web site, they seem to teach a very brutal and tough style of art that seems to deal with the situations that are pretty much endgame (win or die) situations. And that is all good, if you only expect to fight in the street (outsided of the academy/dojo/dojang/ring) in an all or nothing scenerio (or if you plan on going to irag or aghanistan). If you do ever wind up in a situation that is less than a lose or die situation, you might have to deal with the legal reprocussions.

For better or worse society has limited what is a self defense scenerio and what you reasonably can do. For example, if you are trapped in a back alley with no place to escape and are confronted with an armed attacker that you have a reasonable belief that they will harm you (beat/kill/rape) I doubt that you will generally have any legal problems with gouging out their eye, fishhooking them and then breaking their spine. They would have just picked on the wrong person. On the other hand, if some giuy disrespects your girlfriend in a bar or club, they law is going to take a grim stance on you gouging out their eye, fishhooking them and then breaking their spines.

As for Vee-jitsu and its spin offs: I knew one person who studied under a student of Master Vees who told me that it took around five years to earn a black belt under their system if you train hard. This is not a relatively not a long time to learn most arts. Furthermore I also know that they aren't a mcdojo: if you have a bb from these guys, while you won't be death incarnate you will be pretty profficient in their art.

Finally not to put down arts like senshido or ww2 combatives, they both seem pretty interesting and could really round out your total knowledge adn are pretty useful in the right situations. The thing is, IMHO, they don't necessarily fit in all situations: would you really want you cousin using senshido to subdue you uncle wilford who has been drinking a little too much at the family reunion and has gotten a little out of hand. On the other hand, if happen to wind up on the subway fighting a suicide bomber who is about to kill you and everyone on the train are you really going to try to subdue them. Personally, if I was about to go to Iraq, Aghanistan or prison I would be training everyday at a place similiar to senseido ( maybe the Russian System) or WW2 combatives.

Well good luck anyway and happy fighting,
Karateka666

I know what your saying at you have a point to what your saying, but you also stated that vee arnis takes 5 years to acheive a black blt , I am not arguing that it is a good system, but the point of WW2 combatives and senshido is you can learn it alot faster in a short amount of time where you can defend yourself compared to 5 years.

Oh no doubt about that. I am know there is the same claim with krav maga. Though I kind of assumed that you were in for the long haul and that you already have a good MA base already. Personally, I kind of go by the Jeff Thompson school of thought: that really alot of MA people arleady have a good base they just have to modify it for good self defense. Therefore I am sure that w/ a boxing/thai boxing base that you want have problems w/ the average ruffian in a fair fight. As for the unfair fights I would think that maybe senshido/krav maga/system/etc would be a little better to use. Then again, do you really want to learn to defend yourself (which I am kind of assuming that you can probably do really well) or do you want to round out your knowledge and by how much? For example the reality MA styles usually have really good self defense against knives, probably better than most martial arts styles, except when it comes to knife fighters who really know the strengths and weaknesses of a knife. I mean are you trying to learn a few defense drills or work on a new skill set? I guess that is my real question.

By the way I see that as an occupation you put down doorman. Do you mean apartment building doorman or club doorman. I work a little light security in NYC. According to the other bouncers that I meet joint locking skills such as the ones found in styles such as aikido, aiki jujistu, chin'na and the like (I am sure that senshido must use them also) are in high demand. As you probably know if you are a bouncer, you cant rough people up like in the old days.

I used to wrk security as a bouncer when I was 18 for a club alled Carbons on 55 and 11 ave in the city this is like 8 yars ago, I am workin as a regular doorman part-time since I moved back in the city plus it pays well. But I am looking for a bouncer job again but thee hard to come by especially since I got out of shape not training lol

great thread and conversations guys, i'm also vastly out of shape and practice. will be moving to new york from LI and want to go learn MT and BJJ. but like thaiking, am more interested in ww2 combatives to get my readiness to where it needs to be.

i come from a wrestling & kung fu background

causeiambetta said:
great thread and conversations guys, i'm also vastly out of shape and practice. will be moving to new york from LI and want to go learn MT and BJJ. but like thaiking, am more interested in ww2 combatives to get my readiness to where it needs to be.

i come from a wrestling & kung fu background

Thanks, from what I hear about ww2 is it is real easy and most importantly effective in a short amount of time, the problem I have is the only school that offers true ww2 cmbatives is deep into NJ which is well ove 1 hr. drive away under carl Cestani, so if you know of anything let us know here bro.

karateka666 said:
Oh no doubt about that. I am know there is the same claim with krav maga. Though I kind of assumed that you were in for the long haul and that you already have a good MA base already. Personally, I kind of go by the Jeff Thompson school of thought: that really alot of MA people arleady have a good base they just have to modify it for good self defense. Therefore I am sure that w/ a boxing/thai boxing base that you want have problems w/ the average ruffian in a fair fight. As for the unfair fights I would think that maybe senshido/krav maga/system/etc would be a little better to use. Then again, do you really want to learn to defend yourself (which I am kind of assuming that you can probably do really well) or do you want to round out your knowledge and by how much? For example the reality MA styles usually have really good self defense against knives, probably better than most martial arts styles, except when it comes to knife fighters who really know the strengths and weaknesses of a knife. I mean are you trying to learn a few defense drills or work on a new skill set? I guess that is my real question.

By the way I see that as an occupation you put down doorman. Do you mean apartment building doorman or club doorman. I work a little light security in NYC. According to the other bouncers that I meet joint locking skills such as the ones found in styles such as aikido, aiki jujistu, chin'na and the like (I am sure that senshido must use them also) are in high demand. As you probably know if you are a bouncer, you cant rough people up like in the old days.
Where do you work as a bouncer? How long are you doing it? and what system you tain in?

For muay thai, you could train with The Wat, Master K (but I think that he might be retiring from his city gig), , 5 points gym, Borodin's, etc...There are others like Ultimate Gym that I do not know much about and Extreme lacosta out in Long island

For BJJ, there is always Renzo's...great instruction at a great price :)

Accally I like gene dunns school I am taking a class thre this week they have good stand up also from what i hear

thaiking said:
Accally I like gene dunns school I am taking a class thre this week they have good stand up also from what i hear
What is the cost?

Thats the only problem they make you go trough a trial class and then talk prices I am sure it is not cheap but it is close to me and the training I hear from other people is top quality. I think I heard it is 150 month ut contract that is what I hate, but you cant run from it no matter what. I will give a full report on this thread later tonight

Well I just came back from Gene Dunn's gym in Broklyn called "Brooklyn Brazilian Jujitsu" The gym seems really good but the probem is it is contract a contractprice range I was tld was 150-200 month too far off from what I am looking for to train. I dont mind paying 150 but not a to a purple belt instructor, but he will get his brown belt soon from Renzo I was told. The Thai Boxing instructor is very very knowledgeable but for me the class is 2 years behind my level this is what he told me from his mouth it is still in the begining stages because no one has muay thai experiance so it might be to slow for me. If you got the money and the time to commit to a contract it is a great gym, but for me wher i attend school,and work 2 jobs I cannot commit to a contract. and to ay 150 or 200 month for 2x and maybe once a week is too much for me. I can not knock the school down it is new and growing excellant mat space nice facility, but again I would much rather pay Renzo 150 or 200 MONTH....

Back