Help defeating Combat Base from the guard

FightMonkey.com

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a pretty good open guard so ive been trying to work on my full closed guard instead but I keep getting dominated by people starting in combat base. I can even establish my closed guard because of it. Any ideas, tips, sweeps or anything that will help me beat the combat base easily?

Combat base is one knee up. Guys use it split the guard so it puts their knee between you and them, making it hard to set up your regular submissions like armbars and triangles.

If somebody is getting into a combat base, I usually just try to slide to a hip and get onto my knees again. I'd rather not mess with the combat pose, as I don't know many sweeps or anything.

If you mean he postures up in your guard and gets combat base, then there isn't really much you can do. That is a very strong guard passing position. You should immediately open your guard when someone gets a posture like that and try to sit up.

If you mean you are sparring from the knees and your opponent takes combat base, you have more options. Since his position is very strong for passing the guard, you want to attempt to get top position. His posted leg is vulnerable, so grab it. Grab the pants for gi or pin the ankle for no gi. Then sprawl yourself out so all of your weight is pinning his leg to the ground. If you can get a hold of his other leg, try to do the same thing. Once you are sprawled and pinning your opponent's legs, you can just walk around his legs into the side control.

when the guy pushes the knee forward to split your guard hook your foot over the calf and under the thigh. then use the same side arm and grab the back of his heel. there are a lot of moves from there that i am too tired to type but thats the start of several sweeps.

yeh like batman was saying , sit up, grab the heel and yank it under you , then take side control or half mount.

or grab the heel and push him over .

or if his knee is outside of your legs (not really combat base) , underhook the leg with the arm on the same side, and turn ur head towards that leg and ur legs towards his other side leg and push him over using that leg to roll him. probably did a crap job of explainin that last one , somebody will do it better.

thats all i no to do against combat base and those attacks keep coming off again and again.

LOL @ "combat base". First time in 3 years I've heard that term.

There are lots of sweeps when your opponent goes into that position. When one of his knees is up, think about which side he is susceptible to getting swept (depends upon which way he's leaning). Play around with that.

De la riva guard (what Batman suggested) is a very good idea in that position.

combat base?? where do you guys get these names from? do you guys make them up as you go along?

2om30 said:
combat base?? where do you guys get these names from? do you guys make them up as you go along?

Everyone ive ever talked to calls it combat base. What should we call it?

I like using the DLR guard if the other guy goes for combat base. Upkicks are useful too if you're using strikes.

COMBAT BASE???? how bout knee in but or one knee up when i heard combat base i thought someone was raining punches down anyways, DE LA RIVA is very good but a simple scissor sweep will do the trick just time it right, grab a wrist, get on your side with your hips on the ground and the top leg across the belly ankle hooking on the hip pull the wrist toward you and scissor your legs... hell either go won or do something to avoid it so you can pull guard or sweep or submit....

TapouTime said:
COMBAT BASE???? how bout knee in but or one knee up when i heard combat base i thought someone was raining punches down anyways, DE LA RIVA is very good but a simple scissor sweep will do the trick just time it right, grab a wrist, get on your side with your hips on the ground and the top leg across the belly ankle hooking on the hip pull the wrist toward you and scissor your legs... hell either go won or do something to avoid it so you can pull guard or sweep or submit....

Scissors sweep is also a good idea... just watch out for ankle locks if you're going to try it. I like baiting guys with a scissor sweep... especially from that top position. If the guy fails his sweep attempt, I'm in perfect position to lock in an achilles lock.

FightMonkey.com said:
Everyone ive ever talked to calls it combat base. What should we call it?
i don't know......? to be honest this is the first time I've heard of it. Just wondering.

How about "knee inside"? That's what Rickson and his school call it. Like, "you have one knee inside" or "knee up the middle". Not "Combat Base", however, I assure you. That sounds incredibly McDojo.

haha
combat base?
That's classic
I say don't try and play close gurad. Mainly because you're not really going to be able to close it

when someone does that in my guard, I just twist my hips to the directing of the knee that up. You also have to grab the wrist or sleeve on the same side.

You have to be tall enough to get your legs around him when he's doing it though.

It sounds like you are good with open guard, and tryign to work closed and the guy is trying to keep you form closing it... So why look to close it if that's specifically what the guy is fighting against?

That's silly, and goes against all the philosophy behind the art. If your open guard is so good you were actually tryign to work closed, but the guy tries to split it and lands in Ninja Base, just blow him out of the water with your open guard game.

That's like saying "I've got an awesome top game, so I was trying to work my guard, but once we start, everyone just jumps to guard on me. What do I do?"

Work your game, OR, tell the guy "Hey, I want to work *blank*.."

In this instance, say "Hey, I want to work my closed guard", and maybe he'll let you close it. Then you have to keep him from splitting it, which if your open is that good, he should maybe be looking to just posture and work something else anyway.

Back