Help Clarify the Rules on Flaming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vashgun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like how lenient sherdog is, i like the trolls, the shoops, the mods have thick skin and are ready to help if you have a question or problem, and I have made an unsavory comment about josh barnett in the heat of the moment where i got double yellows even though by the rules I could have been outright banned.

But help me to understand this:

Listen man, I can't imagine what its like being in your situation, but maybe you aren't meant to be a professional fighter, because simply put, you aren't being very professional.

You expect insurance companies to cover your bills, when you are boasting about being crazy enough to take a professional MMA fight 9 days after you get off crutches?

That is just an unfair thing to expect. The odds of you being seriously injured again are extremely high. You are abusing the insurance company and then trying to make them look bad. If the Zuffa insurance company saw this thread, I can almost guarantee you would no longer be covered if you ever fought under Zuffa again.

If you want to be covered for injuries by insurance, you need to be taking all the steps you can to avoid injury. You are obviously not doing that. I know money is probably tight right now for you, but remember that you chose this profession. It isn't too late to get a job somewhere less dangerous that suits your personality better.

I just don't think being an MMA fighter is for you. To be honest, you aren't a good enough fighter to be getting a $200,000 medical bill. You will be injured again. You won't win your next fight. You will never be a champ in a Zuffa organization. This is the reality. If you can't afford your medical bills, get better insurance, marry a Canadian, or stop being a professional fighter.

I ain't here to coddle you and baby you. I am the voice of reason. Most of your wins come against guys with losing records. You are 1-3 in your last 4 fights, and you are telling us about hopping off your crutches and becoming the champ. That isn't living in reality.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/zu...2340971/showpost.php?p=77710239&postcount=267

this guy jmarc literally harrasses, mocks and belittles a professional fighter out of what appears to be jealous rage. I dont agree with conor heun coming in here to beg for money but i understand his position. That doesn't mean he's fair game to put him down so viciously.

I reported this post b/c its just too extreme even for these forums, imo. However, I'm not a mod, so maybe I just dont understand the rules here.

I think his post qualifies for :
[*]Flaming: Do not post any messages that harass, insult (name calling), belittle, threaten or mock other members. Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks are not permitted.

From M-w.com: Harass: to create an unpleasant or hostile situation for especially by uninvited and unwelcome verbal or physical conduct
Belittle: to speak slightingly of
Mock: to disappoint the hopes of; to treat with contempt or ridicule
and

[*]Fighter Bashing (including refs, promoters and the like) won't be tolerated anywhere on the board. Criticism is fine, flaming isn't. Minor bashing such as "so and so sucks, is a dick, etc." is a double yellow, while extreme bashing like "so and so is a pile of shit, *********, etc." will result in a ban.

Should I even elaborate?

Even though this guy claims to be Conor Heun but may not be Conor Heun, the post in question is aimed at Conor Heun.

This is an mma forum, deriding a fighter to the point of telling him he should quit b/c of his record is antithetical to the spirit of an mma forum. I dont think he should suck up to him, but there is something called tact. This was an aggressive personal attack that could have been handled differently. I can't be the only one who thinks so.

You obviously owe me no explanation, however my panties are still in a bunch. I think at least a single yellow card is in order. But if not, I'm certainly confused

His post didn't seem out of line to me given the context, but I'm not a mod.

Calling out his post and posting it in here prob wasn't the best idea.

But he did get pretty harsh in the last few paragraphs.

Posts like that are the reason most fighters don't post on Sherdog.

Where I live, this is called "dry snitching."

If snitches get stitches you deserve to be sewn up with power lines.

He's already been reported, this is about what exactly the rules are for flaming. some people seem to think jmarc's post was ok, including the mods.

I dont have a history of using the report button, but this isn't one troll to another, this is a guy who's been here for 3 years talking shit to a pro fighter. Next time a pro fighter comes here, i might like to talk shit to him in a similar manner. so I'm just making sure this type of posts are ok

He's already been reported, this is about what exactly the rules are for flaming. some people seem to think jmarc's post was ok, including the mods.

I dont have a history of using the report button, but this isn't one troll to another, this is a guy who's been here for 3 years talking shit to a pro fighter. Next time a pro fighter comes here, i might like to talk shit to him in a similar manner. so I'm just making sure this type of posts are ok

So your question isn't if Jmarc was out of line, but if you can act like him?

So your question isn't if Jmarc was out of line, but if you can act like him?

Was Jmarc out of line? I think so, but maybe my line is offset. I'm asking if I have it all wrong and this is completely ok, so that, yes, I may also put down others. If nothing else, it was a glorious and brutal attack that needs special attention b/c he was not punished.

The implications here are profound. :D

So your argument is that everyone should be allowed to be a jerk to fighters? In fairness, you're right. If Jmarc can do it, you should be able to as well. My only question is, why would you want to? I know it's annoying to see someone get away with something that you were punished for, but such is life, bro. I definitely would NOT have taken this approach. From certain points of view, this makes you look worse than those you are criticizing.

Last edited:
So your argument is that everyone should be allowed to be a jerk to fighters? In fairness, you're right. If Jmarc can do it, you should be able to as well. My only question is, why would you want to? I know it's annoying to see someone get away with something that you were punished for, but such is life, bro. I definitely would NOT have taken this approach. From certain points of view, this makes you look worse than those you are criticizing.

Exactly, just because an asshole is allowed to be an asshole, should you be one?

This forum is full of immature people, just gotta deal w/ the BS if your gonna post here. People will get banned for the slightest offence & mods will lets blatant threats & harrasment go w/out a blink of an eye. Sherdog!!!

I doubt i would ever bash a fighter who comes to post, but should I not report this?

apparently not. so its more than one question being answered here.

I dont want to waste my time or the mods time for no reason. Its not about me getting carded and someone not being carded, this is about what exactly are the rules. And i think this is a perfect example of a situation that confuses them

Meh, i've seen you do way worse

What is this?

this is the support forum, not the troll forum. If you aren't here to support this issue, please find another field to graze in.

@da speeit

If i did any worse i would have been carded. I've only got two dubs, one for blatantly fighter bashing and the other i can't remember. I agree with jmarc's points in his post, but it jumped out as way too extreme.

I'm more than ready to just ignore this and get back to business as usual.

this is the support forum, not the troll forum. If you aren't here to support this issue, please find another field to graze in.

@da speeit

If i did any worse i would have been carded. I've only got two dubs, one for blatantly fighter bashing and the other i can't remember. I agree with jmarc's points in his post, but it jumped out as way too extreme.

I'm more than ready to just ignore this and get back to business as usual.

So you feel what he posted was within the limitations and just made this thread because...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back