Help choosing between BJJ schools!!!!

JMSanchez

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm looking for a bjj school to train at near my campus (Chapman university) My current options are: 10th planet, Gracie barra, or Carlson Gracie. My goal is to get into competition jiu-jitsu and I'm curious as to which will set me up the best for this.

Note: I've been told to visit all three and choose which one I "like" the best...but that's not my major concern. My focus is more in finding a place with top notch training and instructors who will really push me.

Any advice/opinions are apreciated!!!:)

Carlson Gracie or 10th Planet.

I originally came from the Carlson lineage and the train was always top notch. These days, 10th Planet guys seem to have a varied game and do quite good in competition. Just my two cents.

I hate to tell you what you already heard, but you really do need to look at each one and see which one you want to stay at long-term, especially if contracts are involved (they usually are). You have no idea if you'll be as into competing as you hope, so joining a school based in that right out of the gate is silly. Unless you already have some experience, this shouldn't be your main concern.

Furthermore, nobody here is going to be able to give you much advice about specific schools without knowing the specifics of them. Naming teams isn't necessarily the best information for feedback.

I hate to tell you what you already heard, but you really do need to look at each one and see which one you want to stay at long-term, especially if contracts are involved (they usually are). You have no idea if you'll be as into competing as you hope, so joining a school based in that right out of the gate is silly. Unless you already have some experience, this shouldn't be your main concern.

Furthermore, nobody here is going to be able to give you much advice about specific schools without knowing the specifics of them. Naming teams isn't necessarily the best information for feedback.

Good to know! I appreciate the tips:)...and yes I do have prior martial arts training/ competition experience, just not in grappling.

10 planet instructors: Ron turner, Andy balmore, kyu hyun, and Alex nguyen
Carlson Gracie: Troy acker, mark pagano, and Andy Keller, fumi fujimoto
Gracie barra: Roberto alencar, Ramses patino, and David colon

Where you live, GB is way better than the alternatives you listed. GB you can go train with the other gyms near by as well. Its gonna cost you though champ.

That being said, where you are located, there are much better teams within a very short drive IMO. Not that the schools you listed are bad, but drive ten minutes and you have better value.

Get a free week from all three and see which one you like the best. I wish I had your problem, 3 awesome school. I will be lucky to find one near me unless I want to drive hour in traffic

Maybe you also need to take note of the comps that you'll be joining, if you're strictly IBJJF, then 10P might not be the best fit, not saying they're bad though.

I'm looking for a bjj school to train at near my campus (Chapman university) My current options are: 10th planet, Gracie barra, or Carlson Gracie. My goal is to get into competition jiu-jitsu and I'm curious as to which will set me up the best for this.

Note: I've been told to visit all three and choose which one I "like" the best...but that's not my major concern. My focus is more in finding a place with top notch training and instructors who will really push me.

Any advice/opinions are apreciated!!!:)

Competition BJJ is a different beast and you may not enjoy the kind of training required by a top-level competitor.

Id say gb or carlson... IMO you should start with Gi... especially if youre a big guy..

Where you live, GB is way better than the alternatives you listed. GB you can go train with the other gyms near by as well. Its gonna cost you though champ.

That being said, where you are located, there are much better teams within a very short drive IMO. Not that the schools you listed are bad, but drive ten minutes and you have better value.
Thank you for the input!! Can you please give an example of a place you are refering to? You've sparked my curiosity:)

Thank you for the input!! Can you please give an example of a place you are refering to? You've sparked my curiosity:)

Checkmat HQ is 20 minutes away and is by far the best option for a mile

Checkmat Buena Park is 20 minutes away and is really, really good

AOJ is about 15 minutes and much better than any choice you were thinking of

Checkmat HQ is 20 minutes away and is by far the best option for a mile

Checkmat Buena Park is 20 minutes away and is really, really good

AOJ is about 15 minutes and much better than any choice you were thinking of

Ah, but which school is really best for OP? I mean he wants to complete very seriously, even though hes never trained grappling and is going to be going to college at the same time.

I mean, one of these instructors will clearly be better at making him super good.

Ah, but which school is really best for OP? I mean he wants to complete very seriously, even though hes never trained grappling and is going to be going to college at the same time.

I mean, one of these instructors will clearly be better at making him super good.
I compete for Checkmat, so obviously I would want him to go to Checkmat. The thing about us, if you train at one place, you are welcome at the others, and they are somewhat close. If TS wanted to come train with Pantcho who I train with, he can walk right in.

I'm from Oramge County and familiar with all those schools you mentioned. I'm a Carlson black belt and help teach at Carlson Gracie in Irvine. Check em out if you get a chance. You won't be disappointed.

15 minutes from AOJ? I'd say thats an easy decision.

AOJ and Checkmat HQ close by? I would make that drive all day. Excellent options.

You won't be disappointed with any. I am a Carlson guy and would pick that

Also if you choose Carlson you can visit any of the schools.
I am at the Temecula, Murrieta school and we have classes 7days a week.

We compete a lot!

I have meet all the instructors at that school and they are all good.

My next pick would be check mat HQ. I am close to the school were Holt is at and have trained with a few of the Browns and black belts from his school (I'm a brown belt) and loved it.

I wouldn't do AOJ just because I like training judo, wrestling and stand up and as far as I know they don't do that. (Also price!!!$$)

I've done all my belts thus far under Carlson team (brown) and I would still probably pick Checkmat HQ tbh. AOJ is too weird for me and the price is pretty high. None of the other choices have nearly the same repute as those two if your goal is truly competition.

Back