help choose between these 2 schools

shouldercharge

Dave Camarillo idoliser
Reaction score
Tu Kaha Brazilian Jiu Jitsu | Tu Kaha [Maori : tu, to stand + kaha, strong] Jiu Jitsu [Japanese : jiu, soft + jitsu, art.]

here i could make atleast all 5 morning classes 3night classes 3mma classes and the saturday open mat.

or
http://www.oliverfitness.co.nz/
here could make 2 lunch time classes 1 begginner class 2 night classes open mat wensday and mma saturday,the instructor just took silver at the no-gi worlds black belt absolute.

so basically 8 classes plus open mat as oposed to 5 classes and an open mat both coaches are black belts but the 2nd is world class.

basically for a begginner am i better off training somewhere i can get 8-10 classes in a week or where i can train 5 classes but the instruction is a bit better.

i'll be training at either for 4 months.ive trained in judo for 18months cross training on average once a week in bjj and mma.

Right now while you're just starting out there is no reason to have a world class trainer, I could train you with my white belt and you would get exponentially better so that shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Go and take a few classes at both gyms and see which instructor you like better, which is a nicer gym and what the other people training there are like. Those things are far more important than whether or not the instructor just won a tournament.

I don't think you should be taking 8 classes a week until you start to advance a little. You're likely to get tooled around and burn out with that much mat time all the sudden.

Thats my take on it, go out and try both gyms first. You never know, one instructor could be a world class douchebag while the other is a really great guy.

I think the decision will have to be based on location as well.

Tukaha is downtown CBD while Steve is in West Auckland.

Right now while you're just starting out there is no reason to have a world class trainer, I could train you with my white belt and you would get exponentially better so that shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Go and take a few classes at both gyms and see which instructor you like better, which is a nicer gym and what the other people training there are like. Those things are far more important than whether or not the instructor just won a tournament.

I don't think you should be taking 8 classes a week until you start to advance a little. You're likely to get tooled around and burn out with that much mat time all the sudden.

Thats my take on it, go out and try both gyms first. You never know, one instructor could be a world class douchebag while the other is a really great guy.

lol... SAY WHAT?

anyway, rest of your post was good.... please dont confuse a world class competitor with world class teaching, the worse competitor MAY have better teaching, but not always.

Go check both schools out and pick which you like more....

@shouldercharge, I think Tu Kaha's schedule is great as they have morning, lunch and evening BJJs plus no-gi and MMA lessons, however, the pricing is quite higher than Steve Oliver's if you only get a minimum of 3 months contract.

I've attended Tu-Kaha's lunch session and I think Elliot (purple belt) the trainer that time is an amazing guy, although during lunch time you only get perhaps one or two students attending.

I wonder how about Paulo Sorriso's BJJ in CBD as well?

There is another one in West Auckland called SGMA, have you checked that as well?

lol... SAY WHAT?

This is guard, this is mount, this is side control, this is knee on chest, this is back mount, this is how you tap, this is how you pass the guard, this is how you reverse all these positions, this is how you improve on these positions, this is how you triangle someone, this is how you armbar someone, this is how you kimura someone, this is how you cross collar choke someone, this is how you RNC someone, this is how you defend against those submissions(I could go on)...congratulations, your knowledge has increased exponentially! you are now a Mid level white belt!

This is guard, this is mount, this is side control, this is knee on chest, this is back mount, this is how you tap, this is how you pass the guard, this is how you reverse all these positions, this is how you improve on these positions, this is how you triangle someone, this is how you armbar someone, this is how you kimura someone, this is how you cross collar choke someone, this is how you RNC someone, this is how you defend against those submissions(I could go on)...congratulations, your knowledge has increased exponentially! you are now a Mid level white belt!

I disagree, i dont think a white belt can replace showing all of those things over a blackbelt...especially over a complete beginner who has a ton of questions that only an experienced instructor should answer/knows the answers to.

No disrespect but at my club..no white belt are allowed to show any techniques at all. Even the blue belts should refrain as well.

It always makes me cringe when I read about blue belts being assistant instructor.

Maybe I'm not making myself clear, I'm not saying I can show someone how to pull off the perfect inverted reverse triangle with the leg in, I'm just saying that I could show someone with no knowledge of BJJ how to at least recognize and react to these situations, I'm not going to be the best teacher but the newbie is sure as hell gonna know a lot more after I get done with him.

This whole argument is beside the point, my main point was that a world class trainer isn't necessary for someone who is just starting out.

Go take a class at both places. Get to know the culture of the clubs. How hard they train, the BBs teaching style, are they more of a gi school or no gi school, is competing important, how formal things are, quality of your training partners, etc. That's what really important. If your more of a serious bjj player then you might do better in a place that trains a bit harder and competes a lot. If you are more of a hobblist, then a place like that might intimidate you. It just really depends on what you are looking for and the kind of instruction.

Maybe I'm not making myself clear, I'm not saying I can show someone how to pull off the perfect inverted reverse triangle with the leg in, I'm just saying that I could show someone with no knowledge of BJJ how to at least recognize and react to these situations, I'm not going to be the best teacher but the newbie is sure as hell gonna know a lot more after I get done with him.

This whole argument is beside the point, my main point was that a world class trainer isn't necessary for someone who is just starting out.

Dude, it is important to see the achievements of a potential instructor.

Saying that it does not matter because you assume that TS is a beginner is wrong.

Once you sign a contract and start training with a team, you are locked in.

No disrespect but at my club..no white belt are allowed to show any techniques at all. Even the blue belts should refrain as well.

It always makes me cringe when I read about blue belts being assistant instructor.
Hi mate, where do you train?

i would say i'm already a fairly decent whitebelt,i trained bjj for 6 months then switched to judo which i have been training at in a school with good newaza for 18months and continued to cross train in mma.i competed at a gi grappling tournament won two fights against whitebelts and lost to a blue after 3mins by an armbar whilst up on points.

i dont think over-training will be much of a problem i currently train every day plus weight training and work a fairly physical job.
over these four months i'll be working less hours in a far less taxing job and will be focussing on improving technically and not worry about the strength training so much.

Last edited:
Back