Help Building Muscle

OldVet61

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I want to start putting on some muscle mass but have had trouble in the past doing so. I think this was mainly because I do not eat enough. I'm 22 years old, 5'11 and 165lbs currently... Can anyone help me out with a routine and diet to get me started or point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Eat 5 to 6 meals each day. Up your protein intake. Lift consistently (3 days a week).

Try going for hypertrophy. Lift 60-70 % of your 1 rep max, 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps, 3-4 times a week. Do this for about 6 weeks, rest, then increase the weights used.

Make sure your diet has the following at every meal: 20-30% Healthy fats, 30-40% Carbohydrates, 30-40%protein.

Do exercises that work all your major muscle groups. Such as: Bench Press, Squats, Dead lifts, lat pull downs, bicep curls, leg extensions, hamstring curls, pec flys, triceps extensions, t-bar rows, leg press, cable crunches, roman chair, reverse hypers, bicycle manouver, hanging leg lifts and crunches.

Lift your ass off and eat clean and alot.

there's no science in it I think if you're a beginner.

that comes later.

Eat lots of food. Eat so much food that you start getting strange looks from people. If your friends and family don't start making comments about how much you're eating...then you know you haven't really changed your intake.

Eat as much protein as you can afford or stand. Eat a BIG ASS breakfast. Eat some meat with that big ass breakfast. If you don't eat a big breakfast then you're kidding yourself. Supplement that meat with plenty of milk.

Get some sleep. Sell your TV and computer and try to get 10 hours of sleep per day. 8 hours is a minimum. If you're getting by on 5 to 7 hours sleep...then you're probably working against yourself in terms of gaining muscle. Sleep so much that people start thinking you're a lazy shit. Take naps. Sleep builds muscle and burns fat. Just trust me.

Lift heavy weights. Stick to the big lifts. Presses, squats, deadlifts, rows, chins, and dips. Lift to get strong and the muscle will come. Do the research and find a program that is simple and logical. Read the stickies here on this board.

Eat protein, a good amount, but you don't need tons of it. Make sure to eat enough fat to go with it.

Dash_Riprock said:
Eat lots of food. Eat so much food that you start getting strange looks from people. If your friends and family don't start making comments about how much you're eating...then you know you haven't really changed your intake.

Eat as much protein as you can afford or stand. Eat a BIG ASS breakfast. Eat some meat with that big ass breakfast. If you don't eat a big breakfast then you're kidding yourself. Supplement that meat with plenty of milk.

Get some sleep. Sell your TV and computer and try to get 10 hours of sleep per day. 8 hours is a minimum. If you're getting by on 5 to 7 hours sleep...then you're probably working against yourself in terms of gaining muscle. Sleep so much that people start thinking you're a lazy shit. Take naps. Sleep builds muscle and burns fat. Just trust me.

Lift heavy weights. Stick to the big lifts. Presses, squats, deadlifts, rows, chins, and dips. Lift to get strong and the muscle will come. Do the research and find a program that is simple and logical. Read the stickies here on this board.
Carnal would be proud.

Thanks for the tips guys. I apologize for not reading through the stickies, there is a great amount of information there.

Dash_Riprock said:

This is a 10 weight post.

First there is a difference between trying to gain mass or lean mass.

Second, Can you give a general sketch of your lifting scheme and diet and rest etc.

I was in the same boat as you about 5 months ago. I am 6' and used to weigh 160, and now I weigh 195. Just eat shitloads of food extremely often, workout 3 days a week consistently, and get lots of sleep like up to 10hours a night if you can, and even throw in some naps if you can.

Metafour said:
I want to start putting on some muscle mass but have had trouble in the past doing so. I think this was mainly because I do not eat enough. I'm 22 years old, 5'11 and 165lbs currently... Can anyone help me out with a routine and diet to get me started or point me in the right direction? Thanks!

if you seriously wana pack on mass and fast, up your carbs. when bulking your carb intake should always be higher then your protien.

Ted-P said:
First there is a difference between trying to gain mass or lean mass.

Second, Can you give a general sketch of your lifting scheme and diet and rest etc.
Well this is the deal with me. I'm pretty thin I am 5'11 165lbs and 15% body fat. I haven't been lifting period for probly close to 5 months I've just been working on my MMA & Muay Thai and doing body weight exercises only. I would like to gain some solid muscle and if gaining mass and cutting is what I have to do that is no problem. Honestly I only eat 2-3 meals per day so I know this is something I have to change. I have a bench with about 150lbs of weight plates at my house and some dumbells that are 20, 25 & 30 lbs I use. When I used to lift I would do pure upperbody stuff such as benchpress, curls, over and underhand wrist curls, butterflies, small deadlifts with my dumbells, and upright rows. I would usually do 3 or 4 sets of 10-12 reps. I do have weight room access at my gym where I train MMA but have never used it. It would be more convenient if I can train at home I don't have a problem with buying more weight plates or heavier dumbells if need be. If anyone can give me help or help me put together a better routine than I was using in the past let me know. Thanks everyone.

Hire a CPT. That's the only thing they're good for.

lift big, eat big, BE BIG. if you eat enough you will get bigger

Dash_Riprock said:

this post warms my heart.

Metafour said:
TTT can anyone help me with some type of routine?

how many days a week do you have for lifting? how much time?

if youre not adverse to spendin some chedda, go and buy a barbell and 300 lbs of weights for about $150 (thats u.s. dollars, dont know bout you crazy canadians). if youve got a larger budget, get a power rack and bench to go with that.

rEmY said:
how many days a week do you have for lifting? how much time?

if youre not adverse to spendin some chedda, go and buy a barbell and 300 lbs of weights for about $150 (thats u.s. dollars, dont know bout you crazy canadians). if youve got a larger budget, get a power rack and bench to go with that.
LOL @ the crazy canadian comment :) I got all the time in the world for training brother I got a barbell with about 150lbs and a bench with some 20, 25 & 30lbs dumbells. I have been doing Muay Thai, BJJ & Wrestling like 4 times a week so I want to add in some lifting to gain some mass. I have about 15% body fat as I was stating and would like to try and maintain that if possible while gaining mass. If thats going to be difficult I have no problem bulking up and then cutting. If you can recommend a routine for me please do so with sets, reps & exercises included. I would really really appreciate it.

Back