Help A Noob~

1. no cup = most of class
2. too advanced for you
3. welcome to bjj

#1 cup makes it easier to do armbars (sicnce you get a LITTLE extra leverage from the cup), but it's not always necessary, i almost never wear a cup when i grapple, only wear a cup for striking
#2 you roll so the choke gives you more leverage
#3 do a can opener or wait for them to do a submission, they will let go of teir legs eventually, or, like others have said, dig your elbows as hard as you fracking can into their legs, they'll eventually let go, or, grab one of their arms at the wrist first and stand up, then push down on one of their knees to open up the guard.

1) I don't wear a cup.
2) The twist is to apply more pressure to the neck. But you shouldn't be worrying about this choke if you're new.
3) Go to class, they will teach you how to pass the guard.

1) Wear a cup
2) The twist is to put you in a position where you'll have more leverage to finish the choke.
3) Too many ways to discuss. General rule of thumb, a tight guard is easier to open when you stand because gravity is now assisting you.

Milton Vieira's a genius, I wanna discuss this with him more. The Anaconda choke is very easy to do and catches your opponent off guard most of the time. Rolling to your back is recommended but not a necessity because you can still finish your opponent with it even if he doesn't fall to his back. But once you get him down and torque your hips into position there's no escape.

Oh don't ever wear cups when rolling with the girls. It's much more fun that way. :)

Back