Helio's Jiu Jitsu...

July08

White Belt
Reaction score
How would you describe it?

There is a lot of talk about modeling your game after some BJJ great of your size etc. I am a new blue, 44 years old, and am exploring what it would look like to model my JJ after Helio's.

Give as much detail as you like.

Peace

Last edited:
go and look at Gracie online - Combatives programs for details.

In a sherdog radio interview, Ed O'Neil said rolling with Helio was like rolling with a corpse - right up until he started choking you out. It sounds like he was very efficient with his movements.

In a sherdog radio interview, Ed O'Neil said rolling with Helio was like rolling with a corpse - right up until he started choking you out. It sounds like he was very efficient with his movements.

I laughed hard at that but felt bad about it.

I used to be very skeptical about Helio, but the more I read up on him and learn the facts, the more respect I have. He was the family champion back in the day, and fought a lot of fought dudes at the time. He took the judo/jujitsu he observed and became very good at very basic stuff on the ground. A lot of the principles we take for granted are things he preached, even if he didn't invent them. He also trained the likes of Carlson, Rolls, and Rickson, despite the fact that Carlson and Rolls were not his sons. And those three are legends themselves.

Helio's jiu jitsu was designed for self protection, and it was pretty good for that. Efficient, patient, and technical.

the more I read up on him and learn the facts, the more respect I have.

Helio's jiu jitsu was designed for self protection, and it was pretty good for that. Efficient, patient, and technical.

There is a lot of talk about modeling your game after some BJJ great of your size etc. I am a new blue, 44 years old, and am exploring what it would look like to model my JJ after Helio's.

Would appreciate and specifics that you could contribute.

Thanks so far,

Peace Under Pressure

W

I understand that his defense and chokes were unreal.

Apparently he rolled with numerous world champions in his 80s and (although they didn't use strength and relied on technique) they were not able to tap him. I find that impressive.

I understand that his defense and chokes were unreal.

Apparently he rolled with numerous world champions in his 80s and (although they didn't use strength and relied on technique) they were not able to tap him. I find that impressive.

before class i was admiring this picture of helio on the wall of our academy and i couldnt help but notice how big his wrists were, i thought to myself, "wow, helio would choke the shit out of somebody with those wrists" and he did, many, many times

here is the pic:

helio_gracie.jpg

i love this picture, even at that age, he was a badass mo fo

Hades I couldn't help notice your lineage. It's so sick that your so close to Rickson, Helio and Maeda. Do you ever see Rickson at your gym helping Kron out?

Hades I couldn't help notice your lineage. It's so sick that your so close to Rickson, Helio and Maeda. Do you ever see Rickson at your gym helping Kron out?

yeah i see him about 4-6 times a year, that's why i make sure i go all the time, haha, u never know when he is gonna pop in, when he teaches a class, i feel like i won the lottery, watching him in action is amazing, tournament season he is usually around helpin kron out

i know he spends most his time loungin in rio or for some extra cash, he does seminars worldwide, he also visits his affiliate schools and his other blackbelts from time to time, he's pretty much retired from teaching

yeah i see him about 4-6 times a year, that's why i make sure i go all the time, haha, u never know when he is gonna pop in, when he teaches a class, i feel like i won the lottery, watching him in action is amazing, tournament season he is usually around helpin kron out

i know he spends most his time loungin in rio or for some extra cash, he does seminars worldwide, he also visits his affiliate schools and his other blackbelts from time to time, he's pretty much retired from teaching

This makes me so jealous.

This makes me so jealous.

if u ever have the chance come out to so cal for the worlds, ull probably see him if u train with us before the worlds, and then u get to see him at the worlds, u and a few buddies would have a great time im sure, plus u can go chase tail in ucla area

if u ever have the chance come out to so cal for the worlds, ull probably see him if u train with us before the worlds, and then u get to see him at the worlds, u and a few buddies would have a great time im sure, plus u can go chase tail in ucla area

I would love to go there, I would love to meet Rickson even more.

Instead of Helio you might want to model you game after someone currently practicing BJJ. There is not a lot of video of Helio rolling and it is not like you can go see him in person at a seminar.

before class i was admiring this picture of helio on the wall of our academy and i couldnt help but notice how big his wrists were, i thought to myself, "wow, helio would choke the shit out of somebody with those wrists" and he did, many, many times

I have heard this as well, not just his wrists but his hands. Helio was reputed to have excellent chokes.

Back