Helicopter civiln/cmbat flight simulator that allows joystick/keyboard for tailrtr

LeoGyakazuki

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you guys know any good helicopter simulation that lets you assing keyboard or joystick for tail rotor cntrls?

I think so, as long as it's not the banking controls left or right, you know not the cyclic. The one that lets you control the tail to do deep turns, 180 degree turns.

See my problem is I'm reliving old dos games like Gunship 2000. Before I didn't have joystick so I wasn't able to control the TAIL : .
Any turns left or right is with the cyclic controls so it BANKS left or right, in expense of altitude. The altitude is mantained by the collective, how hard the main rotor rotates which you adjsut by +,-. You just press and it adds up.

When you use keyboard controls for cyclic it doesn't give you any option for rudder controls. When I go the joystick, it gives you the option of using joystick for the cyclic ( my left analog stc main rotor, forwards,back left or right bank ) and rudder pedals or keyboard, or anothr joystick ( I used my right analog stick ) to control the left or right movements using tail rotor or yaw.

The big problem is, when you use a joystick for cyclic ( maint rotor ), and joystick or keyboard for rudder ( tail contro, yaw ), it automatically assigns the collective control *adjusts the altitude up or down* to the same input device your using the tail rotor. so in essence it becomes a collective control (up,down arrows, joystick) and left right rudder (left,right arrows joystick )

The problem is you have to hold up to mantain that certain collective ( altitude)of the main rotor, if you let go, the collective will go down and you will lose altittude crash.

In stark contrast with only the keyboard control, you just adjust the collective by pressing + and it stays in that particular collective. In short the controls are all fucked up.

I hope it made sense, it's hard to understand specially if you don't play gunship

I do fly helicopter sims and DCS UH-1H is the closest the the real thing as far as I know. You can assign pretty much any key or axis to what you want. My joystick twists so I just use that for the tail control.

I do fly helicopter sims and DCS UH-1H is the closest the the real thing as far as I know. You can assign pretty much any key or axis to what you want. My joystick twists so I just use that for the tail control.

Do you play Heli's in the multiplayer FPS's? Like Battlefield?

Back