Height was not the main issue in the JJ/DC fight

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by albinoking, Jan 6, 2015.

1. albinoking

albinoking Orange Belt

Height had nothing to do with the fight. Big foot, Mir, Barnett are the same height or even bigger than Jones. The fact that Jones' clinch game is too good. A combination of wrestling, Muay Thai, judo clinches made DC looked like a bitch.

2. EXlLE**

EXlLE** Orange Belt

>Still a white belt after 5 years
    Opinion Discarded.

3. Blicious

Blicious Blue Belt

DC said that bones felt bigger in the clinch than he had imagined. That probably also has to do with the height difference.

4. Blicious

Blicious Blue Belt

thanks whitebelt...

5. Sirwastealot

Sirwastealot Red Belt

It was really technique more than height, reach, size or any of that.

I've always said that reach is an advantage for Jones, but it's not what defines his game. His technique allowed him to nullify cormier's strengths and always get in favorable positions. Height and reach helped.

6. NoBiasJustMMA

NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

Height is absolutely a factor, look what happened when DC tried to take him down from the clinch, he couldn't get the leverage to get Jones up and off the ground and turn him sideways so that he wouldn't just land on his feet.

His clinch is absolutely better than Barnett's and Mir's but if Jones wasn't as tall as he is he would have been easier to take down for DC.

7. Rucks

Rucks Blue Belt

It's not just the height and reach. I was surprised at how small DC looked in there. Jones' body (shoulders, back, torso) just looked so much bigger. DC looked smaller than Sonnen and Vitor did against Jones. At first I thought it was a joke, but now I agree with some people that DC should make a run at MW.

8. Taric

Taric Gold Belt

Jones used his height smart in the clinch. Kept his legs way out, putting way more forward pressure than if he was tighter.

9. west42

west42 Brown Belt

Agreed. MMA has progressed to the point where if you're coming in with some jiggle in the midsection in a title fight, you probably need to move down a class to take the belt. exc. HW of course.

10. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

That's a very good point! I mean, if Jones hadn't been the fighter he is, things would have looked very different.

11. servel20

servel20 Brown Belt

Jones just outlasted DC, DC was dominating in the clinch up until he gassed. Jones systematically out worked DC from the first round until the last.

I always said it would come down to whether DC could KO Jones quickly or have enough gas to outlast Jones. Jones doesnt have Nick Diaz, Cain Velasquez cardio, he's elite nonetheless.

DC just didn't do enough, you can't be effective in spurts and expect it to win you the fight

12. DarthChen731

DarthChen731 Gold Belt

A. Made me lol
    B. Also a whitebelt
    C. Dubbed in less than 6 days lol

13. Phisher

Phisher Gold Belt

LOL Most of this forum was convinced that Cormier's feats against large HWs meant that Jones had no chance. Now, he was just too big for Cormier in spite of the fact that he's smaller than several of the guys that Cormier dominated at HW.

This sport's fanbase is full of clowns.

I can't wait to see the incoherent excuses that you people come up with after Jones beats Gustafsson in the rematch.

14. NoBiasJustMMA

NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

Using your height and reach well doesn't mean that height isn't a factor. Or are you suggesting it does? Compare how Jones did in the clinch with Gus and how he did in the clinch with DC. Leverage is/was certainly an important aspect of both of those fights.

15. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

couldn't believe how huge Jones looked against DC once they got started

16. kdday

kdday Brown Belt

in before youre accused of being a jones hater

17. HeexX

HeexX Silver Belt

Dubs after 30 posts.
    Opinion discarded.

18. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Steel Belt

Those long arms have to be hell to clinch against. I'd imagine jjs forearm is like 3 inches longer than anyone dc has ever clinched with. That's a hell of a difference and 3 inches is a big deal when you're trying to close the distance

19. NoBiasJustMMA

NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

I don't like Jones but I don't really hate anyone in MMA.

I thought DC would win but I underestimated how much of a factor his lack of leverage would be in the clinch.

After watching that fight and watching the Gus fight again it's obvious that leverage was a major factor. For example the takedown that Gus landed on Jones wouldn't be possible for a shorter man, he grabbed him around the waist and used his head to put pressure high up on his body for a sort of push/pull takedown where he pushes the head away with his head and pulls in the waist. DC isn't tall enough to do this to Jones.

20. Tsar

Tsar Brown Belt

that probably has to do with technique. barnett and mir are way bigger, but in terms of wrestling both are technically inferior to bones. and cormier horsed them in those matches.