Heel hooks are NEVER EVER legal in gi BJJ

I've had two relatively serious injuries in BJJ training, and one of them was definitely a purple belt who asked to go "light" in the gi, I gingerly pull half guard, he immediately spins for a kneebar which I turn out of then he goes for a heel hook which I turn out of and then he locks in a toe hold and cranked it so hard it dislocated my ankle and partially ruptured my lateral collateral ligaments.

Bad training partners + leg locks = bad results always, it's an inevitability.

Cranking on a heel hook in a GI is always a bad news. He is a purple belt so he should know better.

i would ask your instructor to have a man-to-man talk with that shithead in the lockeroom after class.

I just read the first few pages, so this was probably said. It is the coaches fault (errr, "professor", sorry GB). If an unknown guy shows up it is the "professors" job to;
Introduce himself
Get a waiver signed
GO OVER THE HOUSE RULES!

The moment a stranger steps on the mat the "professor" has an additional responsibility to his own students and the stranger.

I bet the "professor" collected a mat fee as well..

Sucks you got hurt. I had someone put me in an inside heel hook and barely turned. My knee popped instantly and I couldn't walk right for about 3 months.

I just read the first few pages, so this was probably said. It is the coaches fault (errr, "professor", sorry GB). If an unknown guy shows up it is the "professors" job to;
Introduce himself
Get a waiver signed
GO OVER THE HOUSE RULES!

The moment a stranger steps on the mat the "professor" has an additional responsibility to his own students and the stranger.

Agreed. Seems like a lot of places are too vague about the rules.

Introduce himself
Get a waiver signed
GO OVER THE HOUSE RULES!

I agree with this, the instructor needs to establish rules and enforce them. It's one thing for another student to complain about his behavior, he will just shrug it off and think "he's being a wuss". If the instructor corrects the behavior it has a much more meaningful affect. He's probably not the prick he's being made out to be on this thread, his ego probably got the better of him and that is the time for the instructor to make sure he understands that there is no "winning" in practice. The tone of the gym is set from the top down. If he was corrected by the instructor and paid no attention then he is a d-bag that should not be allowed to train at the gym.

I tap to heelhooks even to white belts.

I want to walk, fuck pride.

16794460.jpg

We train with all leg locks daily and no one gets hurt.

But it's probably because... We train with leg locks daily.

Cranking leglocks other than a straight achilles lock is a dick move. Agree that the instructor should go over the house rules first with someone dropping in. My old instructor banned several people who didn't have basic mat courtesy. One guy was a big 230lb judo bb who was going hella rough, another guy was going rough with girls. But he would always lay down the law from the beginning: don't heel hook unless you and partner agree first, no twisting kneebars and toe holds, no RNCs on the jaw, no pulling the gi across the mouth. Fist to throat is OK, but no fingers. Basic stuff. A guy like that should be spoken to or asked not to return.

This topic is heading for deep water. Gracie Barra IS the IBJJF. By saying "whatever whatever" are the rules of the sport and than saying "suchandsuch" is a such and such gym, than that would imply that "Gracie Barra rules are BJJ rules" when that isn't always true.

I'm not saying heel hooking strangers is right. I'm just pointing out that BJJ doesn't end with the IBJJF, no matter how much El Presidente wants you to believe it does.

So by your reasoning it would be okay for somebody to start blasting you with punches in gi class since vale tudo is a component of the martial art?

i'm a purple belt, i go for heel hooks on guys that i know aren't stupid enough to have their knees torn apart by not tapping. i don't ever crank them.

i don't see why i should abide by the rules of IBJJF while i'm training. we generally tell our guys to avoid leglocks alltogether in competition because the rules are so crappy that just careless leg positioning gets you DQ'd. but why in the hell should we be enforcing those same nonsensical rules in training? it's a legit technique, it's actually one of the purest examples of the bjj philosophy: using technique to overcome strength.

and to be fair, i don't do heelhooks that often. but i do go for kneebars and toeholds, and as far as IBJJF is concerned those are illegal for me, too. i say fuck them, i'm training to learn how to fight on the ground, not how to conform to their idiotic views on what should or shouldn't be done.

i don't teach leglocks in general class though, because we have quite a few knuckleheads that would sooner or later tear someone's legs clean off.

just sayin'.

as far as I am concerned you NEVER go for a heel hook during sparring unless both parties are more advanced and are fully aware that they are ok. if you dont know the guy you are rolling with then no way in hell should you be attempting one. this guy just sounds like an asshole and may have wanted an easy tap.

Back