Heel Hook in practise/sparring

Keiron

This gun's for hire
@Blue
Reaction score
How many of you use the heel-hook in sparring? and if you do use it, how do you apply it? extremely careful, or just like any other submission?

The reason I ask is that i feel the heel-hook is so much more dangerous that most other subs, theres close to NO pain until the damage is done, and i clearly feel that it should not be allowed in sparring, unless you just set it up, and then let it go, never squeese it... I'm curious to what is the common practise among you guys around the world?

(i'm currently using crutches bc of a heel-hook :p )

Keiron said:
How many of you use the heel-hook in sparring? and if you do use it, how do you apply it? extremely careful, or just like any other submission?

The reason I ask is that i feel the heel-hook is so much more dangerous that most other subs, theres close to NO pain until the damage is done, and i clearly feel that it should not be allowed in sparring, unless you just set it up, and then let it go, never squeese it... I'm curious to what is the common practise among you guys around the world?

(i'm currently using crutches bc of a heel-hook :p )
my instructor taught them to us

then said

ok, never use them unless the attack is going to kill you :-D

sparring with them is not wise unless you are at a higher level of refinement. Too many noobs will crank the piss out of them.

exactly what happened to me, noob cranking the piss.... I'm a noob myself, but i know the danger of them and never apply them at all.. kinda irritating..

lol i personally dont use them because in some tourneys they are not legal (i.e. why train something i cant use?) but we do have this one guy who just does not know his own strength and cranks them all the time because of that no one really likes rolling with this guy

im probably in the minority, but everything goes where i train, even in the gi. i can understand why heelhooks may be especially dangerous to newbie's who don't know how the submission feels when its on. however, once you learn how it feels - that twisting/pressure feeling in your knee and ankle - i think you're less liable to get hurt because you "didnt see it coming." I'm happy i train heelhooks because they come out come tournament time and you need to know how to escape them at least.

i agree colinm.

I'm glad we train them as well, but I do understand where some instructors and fellow grapplers are coming from.

i train with them, however, if the person im rolling with is a spaz ill tend to tell them no leglocks

Basically in our school ,we only lock heel hooks, and if the other guy doesn't notice, point out to him that you have his heel, and they will tap.

Never. Now and then if someone makes a very basic mistake I will catch them with one but never crank it.

I think they are worth drilling and "catching" as proof you can get them but I don't go for them and crank them in sparring ever. Since the majority of us have lives that we need to attend to outside of class and our responsibilities involve us needing the ability to walk, it's just not worth the possible damage.

i personally dont use heel hooks because a lot of noobs i roll with dont actually know when to tap it to it and i dont want to take anyone out for a long time... but i understand how to use them and hwo to escape them.

I agree, the "catch and release" is a pretty good policy here. Unless you're training with an ego inflated schmuck, you can bring it to the attention of your training partner that you've got him in a heel hook, and most of the time they'll concede. The first few times I learned the heel hook I had it applied very slowly to me so I could feel how wicked they could get and how fast. Generally in our sessions with a heel hook you just catch it and pass on.

Catch and release at my club.

You can go for them at any time, but you can't apply the submission. If you properly isolate the leg and hook the heel, it is considered a submission. Just point this out to your partner and start again.

Millions of threads on this subject. You could do a search first.
But to answer your question. I don't use them in sparring. And no one I spar with uses them. IF we were to use them, we'd only use em to sort of show we could go for it if we wanted to. Even if they were to be "applied" we'd never twist the ankle, at all. Like you'd go for an armbar but released it right away.

If I catch someone with a heel hook I will apply the pressure slowly and usually they will tap quick, if they explode out of it, so what at least I know I could have had it, and also my partner can still walk.

im still new to leglocks. the only leglocks we use in sparring are the ankle lock/achilles lock and the toe hold.

achilles lock is OK imho... can't do mani dmg.

in my school we use everything . so you can use heel hooks . i use it sometimes and if i get caught i tap fast . is better tap that your ankle or knee broken. most of the people uses them carefully

Back