Heel Hook Damage from competition

TKDGrappler

White Belt
Reaction score
Everyone I talk to basically mentions the extreme danger of heel hooks in competition. My question is, are fighters often permenantly damaged by heel hooks in competition? Or are they basically just injured for a long period, but it is possible to gain close to 100 percent function after.

Watch some Imanari fights if you want to see the severe effect heel hooks/leg locks can have on someone. Gurgel had his ACL completely blown out I believe when Imanari got one locked on him but he has recovered and obviously fights today.

Also, check out Imanari's most recent fight against Jean Silva. It's on youtube. Brutal heel hook (to the point where Jean had to be carried out of the ring and was in obvious pain) and awesome technique.

What a nasty submission. I really don't think I have it in me to crank a heelhook on someone. Ever.

Ya, to be honest thats one of the reasons I don't do no-gi very often. I can use them, I do them in practice, I know how to defend against them, but unless you're a professional and theres something on the line. I mean hell, don't we all got jobs. A broken arm is one thing, a broken leg....thats something else

A broken leg is worse than an arm?

I'd rather be limping than not be able to use my hands.

That being said, heel hooks are nasty. That's why they rock as submissions.

I think it would be tough to use your hands when you're carrying two crutches around.

A broken leg is worse than an arm?

I'd rather be limping than not be able to use my hands.

That being said, heel hooks are nasty. That's why they rock as submissions.

having broken both my arm and my ankle, I will say that not being able to walk is 10x worse than having a cast on your arm.

Little things like going up steps or trying to crutch through ice and snow make it horrendous.

has anyone ever been seriously injured by a heel hook that can explain the recovery process? time etc?

Back