Hector Lombard won, but I wasn't impressed

Motivated Penn

White Belt
Reaction score
I've read claims from people on here that Lombard is to be the next welterweight champion.

I've thought for a while now that he's not as good as a lot of people think he is.

He's ridiculously muscled, explosive (not THAT kind of explosive...) and excels in brawls. But his striking is sloppy - he never seems to throw straight punches, and has the Shogun-style of curling all of his punches.

He's seen success with this because he so fast and powerful, but he's clearly ineffective at long range.

Josh Burkman was doing well in the stand up before the second round where he got blitzed by Lombard.

Not saying that Lombard is bad, but if you're technically beaten by Burkman, you're not championship material.

He would get badly beaten by Macdonald or Lawler. I think Hendricks takes it, but the match up would be interesting.

he still follows his opponent, like he did against Boetsch, rather than cutting them off. was looking to go that way again (though Burkman put up a much better fight than Boetsch, and Hector fought better than he did then) until Hector got in close in the 2nd.

That seems to be the pattern with Lombard. He'll either absolutely blast you in the opening rounds or he'll come off as pretty underwhelming. He just seems a bit inconsistent. It's part of the reason why I would favor Rory against him if they ever have a match.

I'm no longer expecting good things from Lombard. I don't see him beating Rory, Condit, or Matt Brown. I don't see him faring well in a 5 round fight.

I've read claims from people on here that Lombard is to be the next welterweight champion.

I've thought for a while now that he's not as good as a lot of people think he is.

He's ridiculously muscled, explosive (not THAT kind of explosive...) and excels in brawls. But his striking is sloppy - he never seems to throw straight punches, and has the Shogun-style of curling all of his punches.

He's seen success with this because he so fast and powerful, but he's clearly ineffective at long range.

Josh Burkman was doing well in the stand up before the second round where he got blitzed by Lombard.

Not saying that Lombard is bad, but if you're technically beaten by Burkman, you're not championship material.

He would get badly beaten by Macdonald or Lawler. I think Hendricks takes it, but the match up would be interesting.

Not impressive, but careful, and with what Burkman did to Fitch, I don't blame the guy.

Yep. Burkman was a corpse in the second half of the fight. He was so gassed that he could barely even stand up and Lombard STILL couldn't finish him.

Yeah, Burkman looked so gassed out there, but so did Lombard. Terrible fight, imo.

Was impressed with Burkman's ability to take a punch.

He shouldn't even be in the prelims and Burkman should get cut.

Seriously,Burkman got paid to get KO'ed and Lombard just plodded forward like a robot and stood 0,000000001 inches in front of Brukman who had his hands down while looking somewhere else and he still didn't throw 1 single punch.

Reminded me of his Boetsch fight.

Lombard killed the event right from the start lol

But to be fair the 125ers made everyone look like crap yesterday.

I'm no longer expecting good things from Lombard. I don't see him beating Rory, Condit, or Matt Brown. I don't see him faring well in a 5 round fight.

Stands better chance than your avatar

Burkman showed some good defense though, he gassed from those punches, his cardio was fine before that.

It's just that damn plodding footwork of Hector that's holding him back. At least he's added low kicks when doing the following to not get outpointed as easily and possibly slow the other guy down.

Rory would keep him at range rather easily...while Hector keeps following like a zombie.

Lombard moved really slow in this fight.
Didn't even capitalize on the openings Burkman gave him.

feed him to Condit or Matt Brown. LOL @lombard being the uncrowned WW champ.

Lombard is a an anomaly, sometimes he shows up to fights like a hungry Tiger, sometimes he shows up to fights and fights like he is just sparring and is apathetic, he is too inconsistent, even if he becomes champ one day I can easily see him losing a UD to a guy like Hendricks in his first defense.

With how he looked last night I think T-Wood could beat him. Talk about LOL.

All I kept thinking during the fight was brown is going to smash Lombard if they give him the fight

I dont think Lombard beat the top 5 but I also think large most of the people would get knocked out with some of the punches he landed on Burkman.

Its hard to fight a guy who is waiting for you to come in and throws big haymaker counters. Lombard fought smart.

He has to fight really economical, like Reem, to avoid being completely gassed. That's worked for him against Shields and Burkman, but I don't see that working against guys like Condit or Rory, they'll push the pace on him. Especially if he ends up in a 5 rounder with those guys. I would favour Brown against him as well, we know the Immortal is tough as nails and will still be in the fight when Hector is trying to coast. So yea, Hector is a really good fighter, but I don't think he's champ material.

Edit: also should be mentioned that Josh is one tough sob and a lot of other fighters woulda been ko'd by the shots he ate from Hector.

Back