Hector Lombard rips Matt Brown, Talks DHK Match-up, why he started using Judo again

PolskiGhost

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
New interview with Hector Lombard over the weekend on Submission Radio

[YT]IJSJz04XGYI[/YT]

Some of the topics covered:
-Not understanding the Matt Brown Hype
-Matt Brown's Win streak
-Fighting guys at ATT
-Problems DHK poses
-Update on the car crash he was in
-Being matched up against DHK instead and Fighting Matt Brown in the future
-Why he generally doesn't use Judo much, however got back into it recently
-Security not letting him hold the Australian flag in the octagon after he beat Rousimar Palhares in Queensland
-How much weight he cuts
-Best concert he's been to

Also answered some fan questions from this thread:
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2745057&highlight=

On his fight against Dong Hyun Kim and the problems he poses
"I think that one of the things that he's gonna, maybe would be difficult is he's a lot taller. I think I'm used to fight taller guys all my life you know, taller than him. I don't think that's gonna be any issue."

"I see the fight going by KO."

"First of all, I'm a little more experienced fighter than him, a lot more explosive and lot more stronger, and faster. So I don't think he's gonna create any problems."

Thoughts on Matt Brown and being disappointed in not being booked against him
"I'm mostly disappointed about how much hype Matt Brown has. I mean, he's been fighting guys that, he never fought a top 10 guy. That's one. And who is Erick Silva? I mean like, that's ridiculous."

"I would like to fight this guy one day, and I'll prove a point."

"He has to go and fight a top ten guy and go from there, because when you fight a guy like Erick Silva anybody can look good. I'd beat Erick Silva even better, even easier."

Thoughts on all the hype on Matt Brown getting a title shot an nobody talking about him getting one
"You know it's something that is out of my control. But once again, I believe Matt Brown doesn't deserve none of that. I believe Matt Brown is just an average fighter. And, you know like, even Kim (Dong Hyun) for example. Kim beat Matt Brown and he's behind. Actually Kim beat Matt Brown and he beat Erick Silva. He knocked him out, in Brazil, in his home town. So Kim is four times better than Matt Brown and four times better than Erick Silva and he is behind on the table, like when you're on the ranks. He's behind Matt Brown, when he beat Matt Brown. How's this guy supposed to feel? How am I supposed to feel when I beat two former Strikeforce champs. It doesn't make sense."

"He never beat any Strikeforce champions, he never beat any top 10 guys and he has all the hype. That's (not) very understandable. I don't understand that at all."

On Matt Brown's long win streak
"If you fight all those fighters that he fought, I would have that record as well."

Why he uses his striking as opposed to his Judo
"I always want to be marketable, and that's what I think makes me who I am today. Kind of like an exciting fighter and people want to watch me fight."
"It's different when you get a guy like Jake Shields, you know he's an extremely good fighter. You know, everyone knows in the MMA game that Jake Shields is the who's who, but does anybody wanna watch him fight? No. You know, because he's horrible to watch, he's boring. And he also makes everyone he fights look horrible. Everybody, everybody that he fought, he made the guys look HORRIBLE. So, you know, I never want to be like a Jake Shields guy. I wanna be an exciting fighter."

How tough his weight cut is
"My last fight I was walking around 195-198. If I wanted to be heavier I can, but I don't want to. You know, I wanna be kind of like fifteen pounds, sixteen, something like that around that area. No more than that. So that way I can stay fast and not too heavy."

"It is difficult, but it's one of those things that you have to get it. You have to address the situation all the time, because if you don't address the situation and you leave everything to the end, it's gonna be a nightmare. So I'm trying to cut the weight like a month and a half before, and then try to (be) almost really close to weight. That way it doesn't become a bigger issue, but it's always hard. It's always hard to cut the weight.

On if he still trains in Judo or just relies on his previous skills and training.
"I actually, I left Judo for a long time, and I kind of like regret it. So since my fight against Nate Marquardt, I've started doing Judo a lot more. Once, I cut a lot of weight with it. You know, the gi, the sweating, the techniques and all that. So it's a lot easier for me to cut weight when I'm doing Judo."
"That's part of me. I mean like, I was a bit ignorant before because I was like 'ahh, I don't want to Judo anymore. I just wanna be a striker, I wanna focus on MMA', but it's something that is part of you. Never forget where you come from, you know what I mean."

If he wasn't a fighter, what kind of weight he'd be walking around at
"about three hundred pounds."

Best concert he's ever been to
"Shakira"

Lightning is a monster and I look forward taking that 170 strap.

I just hope he gets a title shot before he gets old. One of the biggest losses in MMA is that this dude didn't compete at higher level when he was younger... I can only imagine what would have happened

"Shakira"

LOLed

On a serious note tho.....
On Matt Brown's long win streak
"If you fight all those fighters that he fought, I would have that record as well."
I'm a fan of Matt Brown but it's hard to disagree with him here. Matt Brown doesn't have any top 10 wins

I love Lombard, he lays down the law.

Matt Brown is garbagey.
Shakira is awesome.

I would put Lombard above Ellenberger and Brown. Give this man a title shot.

He makes valid points, though with a tinge of arrogance.

I agree he's spot on, but don't think he comes across too arrogant , it's a frustrating position for him.

His resume is obviously far above Matt Brown's, but can't believe no one is pushing for him to get the shot. He's also a lot more qualified than the Rory/Woodley winner. Only other guy I think you can make an argument for right now is Lawler.

Brown doesn't have the grappling or striking chops to come out on top.

He makes valid points, though with a tinge of arrogance.

Hahah.."Tinge".
And Hitler had a tinge of animosity towards the Jews.
Listening to Lombard at any juncture makes it impossible for me to like him or root for him. Looking forward to his next loss.

And no, I don't think Brown is within 2 fights of a title shot.

Favorite fighter but I hate the arrogance. And arrogance is what he has in spades. That being said, must be nice to be the baddest dude wherever you go and I guess it comes from that

That's refreshing to hear.

With his body, you really need some offensive grappling in your back pocket to keep lengthy strikers honest.

caulky talk right there.

He's always been like this though, so no surprise there and it's actually good to see that he speaks his mind and doesn't try to come off as a super nice guy when he's not like that.

lots of confidence and truths behind his words. it must be said.

I really want to like Lombard because he's a bad ass so i try to avoid his interviews at all costs.

Lombard beats Brown imo. But....... His record is not exactly littered with wins over top 10 opponents either.

Talks trash about Matt Brown's wins and saying he doesn't deserve a title shot. But does Hector have any top 10 wins either? Enough to get a title shot that is.

listened to this one and the bjorn one, really like how you ask questions, ask the tough ones but also respect the interviewee, nice job man

Back