Heavyweight strength training

1. If I was at the top of the world in a show that I dedicated enormous amounts of time to, I would not want my opponents knowing something as important as my exact strength program. It would surprise me if someone like Brock Lesnar actually gave out his personal training regimen to anyone who asked for it.

Fix it for ya. That kind of dudes make more money couse they are showmans, not (true) fighters. MMA is going to be new american wrestling.

1. If I was at the top of the world in a sport that I dedicated enormous amounts of time to, I would not want my opponents knowing something as important as my exact strength program. It would surprise me if someone like Brock Lesnar actually gave out his personal training regimen to anyone who asked for it.

2. Carwin doing 5-3-1 could possibly be applicable to your own training, you're right. But if Carwin also included a lot of personal assistance stuff, that doesn't mean you should include all of it in your own training. Just like knowing how many days per week he trains doesn't mean that you should start training as often as he does. He has different goals, weaknesses, etc. that would necessitate a different training program than you.

3. Yes they are, but I would think that is where this question belongs because it is about a specific couple of fighters. Knowing how many days per week Lesnar/Carwin train seems like more of a fan question than an actual training question to me.

1. It would surprise me as well if he gave out his entire program, but saying something like "I do strength training 3 days a week" isn't unlikely and it's what the TS is after.

2. You don't know what the TS' goals or weaknesses are, let alone anything about him. You're in no position to say what his training should be like...but this is besides the point.

HE ALREADY SAID HE WASN'T PLANNING ON FOLLOWING WHAT LESNAR OR CARWIN DO

3. In other words, you believe knowing how many days per week Lesnar/Carwin train is not much of a training question.

I'm done arguing with you. I don't care what your beliefs are, but don't enter someone's thread and shit on their question. It's people like you who ruin this forum.

1. It would surprise me as well if he gave out his entire program, but saying something like "I do strength training 3 days a week" isn't unlikely and it's what the TS is after.

2. You don't know what the TS' goals or weaknesses are, let alone anything about him. You're in no position to say what his training should be like...but this is besides the point.

HE ALREADY SAID HE WASN'T PLANNING ON FOLLOWING WHAT LESNAR OR CARWIN DO

3. In other words, you believe knowing how many days per week Lesnar/Carwin train is not much of a training question.

I'm done arguing with you. I don't care what your beliefs are, but don't enter someone's thread and shit on their question. It's people like you who ruin this forum.

*sigh*

1. Fine.

2. I can say rather certainly that he is not in the same position as Shane Carwin.

3. Something like how many days per week they train does seem like a fan question to me. For example, people on this forum who have similar goals and strength foundation train different frequencies. DevilsSon trains something like once a week, whereas other very strong guys on here may train up to four times per week.

I am also tired of arguing about this. Let's hang this one up.

Actually his weight routine was recently published in a magazine [Muscle and Fitness IIRC] Here you go TS:

Day1: Chest, Triceps
Flat Bench Press 6 sets to 12 reps
Incline Dumbbell Press 4 sets 10-6 reps
Dumbbell Flyes 3 sets 8 reps
Cable Crossovers 3 sets 8 reps
Tricep Body Dips 4 sets 10-8 reps
Pulley Press Downs 4 sets 10-8 reps
Skull Crushers 3 sets 10 reps

Day2: Back, Biceps
Wide Grip Pull up 4 sets 6 reps
Medium grip Pull up 4 sets 6 reps
Narrow grip pull ups 4 sets 6 reps
Seated Cable Row 4 sets 6 reps
Stiff-legged deadlift 4 sets 6 reps
Deadlift 4 sets 6 reps
E-z curl var preacher curls 4 sets 12 reps
Hammer Curl 3 sets 10 reps
Seated Incline Dumbbell curl 3 sets 10 reps

Day3: Shoulders
Overhead Barbell Press 4 sets 10 reps
Seated Dumbbell Press 3 sets 10 reps
Dumbbell front raise 3 sets 10 reps
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3 sets 10 reps
Smithmachine upright row 4 sets 6 reps
Barbell or Dumbell shrugs 4 sets 6 reps

Day 4 legs
Leg Extension 3 sets 10 reps
leg Curl 3 sets 10 reps
Narrow stance smith machine squat 4 sets 6 reps
Medium stance Smith machine squat 4 sets 6 reps
Wide-stance Smith Machine squat 4 sets 6 reps
Leg Press 4 sets 6 reps
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 4 sets 6 reps
Leg Curls 4 sets 6 reps

That's his routine in a nutshell.
Wow...

If that is his true routine, he deserves even more props for being able to hold the belt
with such a garbage split..

Blah blah blah... this is a forbidden topic anyway.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/forbidden-topics-243478/

"How does [insert fighter] train" type threads - Forbidden for three reasons: 1) Many fighters succeed in spite of their training not because of it. 2) An elite fighter's routine will differ on a fundamental level from yours because of experience. 3) Even if the fighter is at your level of lifting experience, and age, and skill, there are still many other factors that would make your routine different (personal weaknesses, muscle imbalances, periodization etc.)

Why are people dissing this program and then suggesting something like Starting Strength of all things. Chances are he's lifting a shitload more than the majority of people here.

Why are people dissing this program and then suggesting something like Starting Strength of all things. Chances are he's lifting a shitload more than the majority of people here.

Because that program is shit and probably isn't even what he does. Starting Strength is a proven program that is great for beginners. That routine is probably a made-up routine that's not great for anyone.

Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

dude.......seriously

If I had to guess I bet he does do a bodypart split with some circuits thrown in. He has all day to do whatever he wants. If he wants to do some flyes it isnt going to ruin his training. The guy has been wrestling for the last 30 years. Strength is strength, everyone just wants to bark.

Honestly I get the impression that Brock just lifts like a madman whenever he can because he loves it. If you watch the all access shows his personal gym has an incredibly extensive collection of machines so I wouldn't be too suprised if he uses them heavily. I know for a fact Kurt Angle loves machines and uses them almost exclusively. He also lifts like a billion reps when he lifts, more for conditioning. I wouldn't be suprised if the routine posted is similar to something Brock does, based on how tight he and Kurt were (with Kurt being able to handle Brock, allegedly) and based on his previous statements about not being the fastest or most technical wrestler, but having the best conditioning.

/useless speculation

Because that program is shit and probably isn't even what he does. Starting Strength is a proven program that is great for beginners. That routine is probably a made-up routine that's not great for anyone.

Yeh beginners. I don't doubt Lesnar has been squatting, deadlifting and pressing for the majority of his life.

That's still a guess on your part that he has been the big 3 for "majority of his life". Besides, that routine is still garbage. Regardless of what he has or hasn't been doing for most of his life. the smith machine should not be in there at all and I don't know if there is a real legitimate reason to have them in there at all. The leg press can have a legit reason but I don't see one for the smithy.

If it is/was in fact his routine, being a former top athlete in professional wrestling lifting huge men above your head, and the current Heavyweight champion of the UFC hardly result in it being garbage. He still has the basic exercises in there, it's just a hell of a lot more volume.
He obviously has insane muscular endurance and if he's lifting big weight on these exercises, it doesn't really matter how good or shit they are, because he's not training to compete in any form of lifting.

It doesn't matter if he's competing in lifting or not. I don't see a reason for anyone to use the smith machine. I don't know why it was invented to begin with and can't readily find that reason. In any case, his routine is fine IF, and only if, he found over time that it helped to address certain things that he needed addressed. if he just threw something together and that's what he came up with, then no.. that is awful.

If I had to guess I bet he does do a bodypart split with some circuits thrown in. He has all day to do whatever he wants. If he wants to do some flyes it isnt going to ruin his training. The guy has been wrestling for the last 30 years. Strength is strength, everyone just wants to bark.

Gary Peters is a smart man.

Back