Heavyweight strength training

Guerrillastyle

White Belt
Reaction score
How many days per week do you think lesnar/carwin strength train? They both seem pretty strong and that requires some type of maintenance to keep that strength/muscle

Why do you care? Each of their strength training programs will be vastly different from yours.

Why do you care? Each of their strength training programs will be vastly different from yours.
...because if you do their exact strength program, lift with their exact weights, and eat exactly the same as them down to the last calorie, you will literally become them in every way!

(though perhaps you'll need to go to the local tattoo shop to get the decorations)

why not look around a little bit on the internet and then come back with any info you found.

actually, I didn't ask what they do for their routines and never said I was looking to follow what they do, I asked specifically if anyone knew how many days per week they strength train.

Actually his weight routine was recently published in a magazine [Muscle and Fitness IIRC] Here you go TS:

Day1: Chest, Triceps
Flat Bench Press 6 sets to 12 reps
Incline Dumbbell Press 4 sets 10-6 reps
Dumbbell Flyes 3 sets 8 reps
Cable Crossovers 3 sets 8 reps
Tricep Body Dips 4 sets 10-8 reps
Pulley Press Downs 4 sets 10-8 reps
Skull Crushers 3 sets 10 reps

Day2: Back, Biceps
Wide Grip Pull up 4 sets 6 reps
Medium grip Pull up 4 sets 6 reps
Narrow grip pull ups 4 sets 6 reps
Seated Cable Row 4 sets 6 reps
Stiff-legged deadlift 4 sets 6 reps
Deadlift 4 sets 6 reps
E-z curl var preacher curls 4 sets 12 reps
Hammer Curl 3 sets 10 reps
Seated Incline Dumbbell curl 3 sets 10 reps

Day3: Shoulders
Overhead Barbell Press 4 sets 10 reps
Seated Dumbbell Press 3 sets 10 reps
Dumbbell front raise 3 sets 10 reps
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3 sets 10 reps
Smithmachine upright row 4 sets 6 reps
Barbell or Dumbell shrugs 4 sets 6 reps

Day 4 legs
Leg Extension 3 sets 10 reps
leg Curl 3 sets 10 reps
Narrow stance smith machine squat 4 sets 6 reps
Medium stance Smith machine squat 4 sets 6 reps
Wide-stance Smith Machine squat 4 sets 6 reps
Leg Press 4 sets 6 reps
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 4 sets 6 reps
Leg Curls 4 sets 6 reps

That's his routine in a nutshell.

Actually his weight routine was recently published in a magazine [Muscle and Fitness IIRC] Here you go TS:

Day1: Chest, Triceps
Flat Bench Press 6 sets to 12 reps
Incline Dumbbell Press 4 sets 10-6 reps
Dumbbell Flyes 3 sets 8 reps
Cable Crossovers 3 sets 8 reps
Tricep Body Dips 4 sets 10-8 reps
Pulley Press Downs 4 sets 10-8 reps
Skull Crushers 3 sets 10 reps

Day2: Back, Biceps
Wide Grip Pull up 4 sets 6 reps
Medium grip Pull up 4 sets 6 reps
Narrow grip pull ups 4 sets 6 reps
Seated Cable Row 4 sets 6 reps
Stiff-legged deadlift 4 sets 6 reps
Deadlift 4 sets 6 reps
E-z curl var preacher curls 4 sets 12 reps
Hammer Curl 3 sets 10 reps
Seated Incline Dumbbell curl 3 sets 10 reps

Day3: Shoulders
Overhead Barbell Press 4 sets 10 reps
Seated Dumbbell Press 3 sets 10 reps
Dumbbell front raise 3 sets 10 reps
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3 sets 10 reps
Smithmachine upright row 4 sets 6 reps
Barbell or Dumbell shrugs 4 sets 6 reps

Day 4 legs
Leg Extension 3 sets 10 reps
leg Curl 3 sets 10 reps
Narrow stance smith machine squat 4 sets 6 reps
Medium stance Smith machine squat 4 sets 6 reps
Wide-stance Smith Machine squat 4 sets 6 reps
Leg Press 4 sets 6 reps
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 4 sets 6 reps
Leg Curls 4 sets 6 reps

That's his routine in a nutshell.

I'm thinking not so much.

That's routine has been listed on quite a few sites. If you know a better routine why don't you help the TS out and list one?

That's routine has been listed on quite a few sites. If you know a better routine why don't you help the TS out and list one?

Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

It appears brock really does use the routine johnmc posted.

search for posts by Brad Morris, he's a HW pro fighter on this site who participates in this forum

What Perfect Moo said plus the other variants of SS. 5/3/1 (either the Wendler or Matt Rhodes version and any other variant I don't know of). Madcow's 5x5 and the many other 5x5 variants as well.

I rather doubt that routine is his actual routine. Even if it is, I would think that the routine has been modified to address weak links he has and so on.

So that routine is worthless for you or anyone else at this point. Just start with the basics and then add in assistance and etc as you get stronger. You'll know if you need skullcrushers or cable crossovers or etc when weak links show up.

Why the fuck does that matter? He's interested in knowing how they train. Do you have a problem with that?

He actually only asked how many days they trained. he didn't explain why he wanted to know though. Probably so he could do it too though. Unless he just really wanted to know just to know.

Why the fuck does that matter? He's interested in knowing how they train. Do you have a problem with that?

He is interested in knowing "how many days per week" they train strength.

1. There is really no way of knowing how many days per week each of them trains strength unless someone here actually trains with one of them. I really doubt that the "routine" posted earlier is actually used by either one of them.

2. To ask such a question suggests the TS doesn't understand that each of them would have highly individualized programs constructed to address personal weak points that would have little to no application to his own training.

3. If he wants to know just to know, the heavies would probably be more appropriate to post this in. This sub-forum is supposed to be for discussing training, not for "how fighter X trains".

He is interested in knowing "how many days per week" they train strength.

1. There is really no way of knowing how many days per week each of them trains strength unless someone here actually trains with one of them. I really doubt that the "routine" posted earlier is actually used by either one of them.

2. To ask such a question suggests the TS doesn't understand that each of them would have highly individualized programs constructed to address personal weak points that would have little to no application to his own training.

3. If he wants to know just to know, the heavies would probably be more appropriate to post this in. This sub-forum is supposed to be for discussing training, not for "how fighter X trains".

1. Both of them have probably had hundreds of interviews. There is a good chance that question has come up before. What makes you think they've never answered it or lied? The strength sub-forum on an MMA site seems like a pretty good place to search.

2. What are you even talking about? TS already stated that he didn't ask the question to follow what they do.

Who are you to say that their strength training isn't applicable? You've already stated that no one here could possibly know what they do without directly training with them. What if Carwin follows a 5-3-1 progression with some of his lifts? Is that applicable? Are you in a position to make that call?

When you want to improve at something, it's useful to understand what the best in the world are doing to be so successful.

3. The Heavies are a bunch of morons. I've already stated that this is a perfect place to ask that question.

"They both seem pretty strong and that requires some type of maintenance to keep that strength/muscle "

^^^ I can easily see a discussion about maintenance stream from that statement.

Don't be an asshole.

1. Both of them have probably had hundreds of interviews. There is a good chance that question has come up before. What makes you think they've never answered it or lied? The strength sub-forum on an MMA site seems like a pretty good place to search.

2. What are you even talking about? TS already stated that he didn't ask the question to follow what they do.

Who are you to say that their strength training isn't applicable? You've already stated that no one here could possibly know what they do without directly training with them. What if Carwin follows a 5-3-1 progression with some of his lifts? Is that applicable? Are you in a position to make that call?

When you want to improve at something, it's useful to understand what the best in the world are doing to be so successful.

3. The Heavies are a bunch of morons. I've already stated that this is a perfect place to ask that question.

"They both seem pretty strong and that requires some type of maintenance to keep that strength/muscle "

^^^ I can easily see a discussion about maintenance stream from that statement.

Don't be an asshole.

1. If I was at the top of the world in a sport that I dedicated enormous amounts of time to, I would not want my opponents knowing something as important as my exact strength program. It would surprise me if someone like Brock Lesnar actually gave out his personal training regimen to anyone who asked for it.

2. Carwin doing 5-3-1 could possibly be applicable to your own training, you're right. But if Carwin also included a lot of personal assistance stuff, that doesn't mean you should include all of it in your own training. Just like knowing how many days per week he trains doesn't mean that you should start training as often as he does. He has different goals, weaknesses, etc. that would necessitate a different training program than you.

3. Yes they are, but I would think that is where this question belongs because it is about a specific couple of fighters. Knowing how many days per week Lesnar/Carwin train seems like more of a fan question than an actual training question to me.

Back