Heavyweight prospects

ryanrandy

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Felt like discussing the next wave of HW prospects. We all know guys like Dubois. Yoka, Efe, Hrgovic etc.

I'm a big fan of Bahodir Jalolov from Uzbekistan. Guy is a monster. Huge and can crack. Definitely see a championship contender in him.
²https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/834487

Another giant is Arslanbek Makhmudov. Hes older at 30 and a little slow but he can definitely fight. Reminds me of a lesser Vitali
https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/817769

Felt like discussing the next wave of HW prospects. We all know guys like Dubois. Yoka, Efe, Hrgovic etc.

I'm a big fan of Bahodir Jalolov from Uzbekistan. Guy is a monster. Huge and can crack. Definitely see a championship contender in him.
²https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/834487

Another giant is Arslanbek Makhmudov. Hes older at 30 and a little slow but he can definitely fight. Reminds me of a lesser Vitali
https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/817769
Of the two fighters you've listed, I'm most impressed by Jalolov. He's got terrific size, a very impressive amateur record & his pro opponents have all had winning records. Which indicates to me that his people are looking to have him learn from each fight. They're not feeding him stiffs.
And he must have excellent power because he scored 17 wins inside the distance out of 64. Which is a high KO ratio in today's amateur game. So, he can punch & he can finish. I can't wait to get a look at him in action. Hopefully, he'll be in a televised contest soon.

Of the two fighters you've listed, I'm most impressed by Jalolov. He's got terrific size, a very impressive amateur record & his pro opponents have all had winning records. Which indicates to me that his people are looking to have him learn from each fight. They're not feeding him stiffs.
And he must have excellent power because he scored 17 wins inside the distance out of 64. Which is a high KO ratio in today's amateur game. So, he can punch & he can finish. I can't wait to get a look at him in action. Hopefully, he'll be in a televised contest soon.

I have been waiting to see him in action again but hasn't fought since winning an amateur tournament in September. I'd like to see him more active this early.

I’m super excited about Mahammadrasul Majidov. The entire Azerbaijan Baku Fires WSOB team was training with John David Jackson down here in South Florida in 2011. Somewhere in storage I have a whole archive of Majidov sparring videos from the time. A few I remember. He stopped Mike Mollo with body shots. An absolute war with Cedric Boswell. A war with Erik Leander. And god bless his soul, I remember Majidov doing a few rounds with O’Neil Bell too. Can’t wait to see Majidov step up after racking up a few more wins. Sad it took so long though. Might be another Luis Ortiz where by the time people discover him he’s at the end of his prime. . . One day if the DVDs still work I’d love to release some of my old sparring footage in my collection from over the years to YouTube

Majidov is a freak of nature, for a long time he was the biggest puncher on the amateur scene, but I also fear that he turned pro too late.
Makhmudov is a big slugger with dynamite in both hands and his straight right and rear uppercut are some of the hardest punches out there. That said, he's already 30 years old and pretty raw, despite having a decent amout of amateur experience. His defence is better than you'd think, he seems to get hit a lot, but if you watch the replays most punches are partially blocked or don't land clean, that reminds me a bit of Joyce.
He lacks a jab to set things up and really needs to work on cutting off the ring. I'd keep him aways from big punchers and let him fight many durable guys, spoilers and movers on his way up.

Kinda sad that Magomed Omarov hasn't turned pro. He stopped both Vianello and Makhmudov in the amateurs and had a competitive rivalry with Majidov. Wins over Joyce, Cammarelle (when he was just 21years old and Roberto already an Olympic Champion), Kuzmin, a stoppage over Yoka and a few wins against Dychko.
A big southpaw with fast hands, a solid defence, a great chin ( he has never been stopped) and a lot of power, 12 of his 52 amateur wins are by stoppage.

Last edited:
Kinda sad that Magomed Omarov hasn't turned pro. He stopped both Vianello and Makhmudov in the amateurs and had a competitive rivalry with Majidov. Wins over Joyce, Cammarelle (when he was just 21years old and Roberto already an Olympic Champion), Kuzmin, a stoppage over Yoka and a few wins against Dychko.
A big southpaw with fast hands, a solid defence, a great chin ( he has never been stopped) and a lot of power, 12 of his 52 amateur wins are by stoppage.
I thought he lost to Guido it was SD but it doesn't mater Arslen did far better against Guido a few years after his own loss and improved vastly , he probably knows he has an amateur style and wont fit as good in the pros ,id say his window is closed hasn't fought in two years everyone hes fought except maybe Kuzman has improved but Kuzman has two wins over him as well it wasn't a one sided battle .

Theres to many holes in his game ,open defense, chin exposed ,and he gets sloppy as the fight goes on and these are 3 rounders . Makhmudov was even worse in 2012, if they fought now he wouldn't last 4 rounds with him .hes a different fighter since 8 years ago .

Seems like his best years didn't go much beyond 2013 hes in his early 30's ,if he went pro and got in the game you know it takes a minute to get established ,hed be about 33 with a very raw style and the bigger names now are going to be better by that time .Hes a 3 round fighter and never been stopped but in the pros he would be a knockout waiting to happen ,I think he probably knows that and makes more money getting sponsors in the ams.

I'm pretty good at knockouts waiting to happeing I said Efe Ajagba is one waiting for a right over the top and it almost happened in his last fight. This was when he was the next terror of the division according to many . The only way that remotely happens if he tightens up his guard .He way to ponderous at close range .

1. Vlad Sirenko

2. Sonny Conto

3. Adeleye

4. Makhmudov

5. Zahkozhyi

6. Bakole

7.Ajagba

8. Gassiev

9. Vianello

10. Gorman

This is my current list ,I don't consider Usyk , DDD ,Joyce or Hrgovic prospects these guys are ranked already in top spots and have more then enough credentials anyway to know they are top guys now.

I don't rate Zahkozhyi as highly as you, he looked good early on, but ordenary against Kingpin. Poor punching technique when he had to go after him, a bit like Hughie Fury. Maybe it's because he was fighting Kingpin, but he also looked a bit hittable. That said, his straight punches are a lot better, he seems to have power and the combination of size, speed and movement will give a ton of guys problems.

I think that Petar Milas deserves a mention, even if he wasn't super active in 2018.
He was the 2nd guy to stop Kingpin and at that time he had just stopped Pianeta and was on a 2 fight winning streak. Oddly Milas went the distance with Pianeta in his next fight.
He's got decent size and is a good combination puncher.
Jalolov looks like the complete package, he has it all, size, a southpaw, great chin, moves well, big puncher, lots of amateur experience and an absurd handspeed for such a big guy. Does he still want to compete at the Olympics, despite being a pro.

Back