Heavyweight is a joke

It has more brawlers than other divisions just because it is more difficult to have great technique when you are fat and heavy
Not all of them are dumb and rely on KO power with bad technique like Ngannou (yes, I said it), Tuivasa, Pavlovich

There are others:
Fedor
Stipe
Aspinall
Gane
many others

how are derrick and tai so high ranked they have no wrestling whatsoever all they do is throw and hope and when a good guy comes along they both get finished in 1 minute worst division
It has more brawlers than other divisions just because it is more difficult to have great technique when you are fat and heavy
Not all of them are dumb and rely on KO power with bad technique like Ngannou (yes, I said it), Tuivasa, Pavlovich

There are others:
Fedor
Stipe
Aspinall
Gane
many others

Rankings don't matter
It's so bad that hundreds of fighters kill themselves with ridiculous weight cuts to avoid it (jon jones)...

It's so bad that hundreds of fighters kill themselves with ridiculous weight cuts to avoid it (jon jones)...

1. Bad from a technique standpoint, not arguing that they wouldn't win against lower weight classes
1. There are MWs (Pereira, Israel, prime Romero) that would win against ranked HWs. Shamil is still a ranked fighter and has been for a while, for fucks sake. You don't see this in other divisions. A BW beating ranked LW, a LW beating ranked WWs.

Hw is garbage because of the lack of discipline and interest of becoming well rounded mma fighters by some of the forementioned fighters.

Some of it has to do with the ufc encouraging sloppybrawl

how are derrick and tai so high ranked they have no wrestling whatsoever all they do is throw and hope and when a good guy comes along they both get finished in 1 minute worst division
The reality is the average build is going to have the best division based on pool of people. HW has always been weak. If you're 6'2+ you have an okay chance at getting to the UFC with training. You see many fat HWs because they rely on finishing in the first. Overeem said it best when he beat Walt Harris. The reality is if you train hard and are in shape at HW you will do well.

The heavyweight division isn’t that deep so it’s a toss up who gets the ranking there

because they beat guys lower than them.

Lewis actually has more wins as underdog than anyone else I can think of in UFC. Both have plenty of highlight KO wins.

Half of HW is blow up MWs and LHWs so of course. If you have some skill you can blow up and have a career there. The top 15 is basically any HW that isn't a MW with a bunch of fat. Imagine Parker Porter at LHW or MW.

When you have canons for fists...

Technique tends to suffer..

That said HW is lacking true specimens and proper disciplined athletes who are looking to broaden all their skillsets...it seems to be a division of one trick ponies who eat horses for breakfasts

Lewis and Tuivasa are top 5 today but woudlnt be top 5 in 2011 and wouldn't be top 5 in 2005.

Nuff said. Decline in talent confirmed.

Really I think what stands out in their fights against Sergei is that they don't have the technique to punish someone bum rushing them, they have power but they generally need quite a few wild exchanges to land it were as someone like say Hunt I think would have kept Sergei more honest, would have been able to counter him quickly if he'd rushed him like that.

Someone like Roman Zentsov comes to mind to me as a guy showing the kind of skill set in 2005 that is getting fighters into the top 10 and top 5 today.

Last edited:
Its a freakshow division, what do you want. From some fatties to midgets like Barnett

Really I think what stands out in their fights against Sergei is that they don't have the technique to punish someone bum rushing them, they have power but that generally need quite a few wild exchanges to land it were as someone like say Hunt I think would have kept Sergei more honest, would have been able to counter him quickly if he'd rushed him like that.

Someone like Roman Zentsov comes to mind to me as a guy showing the kind of skill set in 2005 that is getting fighters into the top 10 and top 5 today.

Facts

Back