1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Heavyweight division's moves

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Geniusss, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Geniusss Green Belt

So looking at it

[​IMG]

#2 is gonna fight the Champ
    #3 is gonna fight #5
    #4 is gonna fight #6
    #1 just lost the belt

I think Jones gotta get in the mix and right now it makes a lot of sense to make that fight Miocic vs Jones as a title eliminator while Leiws challenges Ngannou, the winner gets next title shot, if Jones doesn't wanna fight no big deal, then the winner of Gane vs Volkov is next in line.

What do you guys think? What should be the next moves at the HW divison?

TARTARA and Qays Stetkevich like this.
  2. Raymundo Alvarado Guevara Purple Belt

3. sadoquera Yellow Belt

miocic is kind of past his prime, but absolutely technical fighter. he has a chin on, great wrestling, one punch ko power. i dont see a reason to put jones to fighting him and riskinghim to lose his aura, and losing the chance to make a huge ppv number in putting him to fight for the belt straight away.

4. mooseman17 Red Belt

Did not realize Gane and Volkov were fighitng next and also in basically a week. Should be awesome one and likely determine the next contender.

Jozo Sha and Ares Black like this.
  5. MikeChandler Banned Banned

we cannot talk about

Jon, GSP, Nick, Colby

until an announcement is made

<JackieThumbsUp>

Rvd Slmr likes this.
  6. Filthy casual Cobalt belt

Came in expecting to see some gems like these from DC.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Evangelion likes this.
  7. Slatersan Black Belt

It actually feels like those 7 are the only ones in the HW division.

Fight Professor likes this.
  8. Geniusss Green Belt

Do you think they should put him after Lewis?
    Or do you think Lewis is a big risk to Ngannou and they should put Jones before Lewis?

9. sadoquera Yellow Belt

its kind of difficult to tell, but i think the best card with more ppvs numbers would be a undefeated jones against a champion francis. so, if i were dana, i would pay whatever to have it now.

and heavyweight is really hard to predict. Lewis deserves the fight, he has the best record at the moment, and he can beat francis.
    miocic is also so good that he can defeat jones. so, the biggest fight possible could be over. or even worse, jones and francis can put boring perfomances and the fight doesnt have the attention needed.

10. TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle Brown Belt

HW is getting a little better finally. All the dinosaurs have been driven away now and most of the top guys are young(ish) and in their primes. Gane/Volkov is a pretty legit fight, both are athletic, skilled HWs.

Geniusss likes this.
  11. D'z Me against 40 of you?...A fair fight! -Big L Yellow Card

Until Jones is relevant again, he's simply not relevant. We can stop making "what if" threads about him now.o_O

Jozo Sha likes this.
  12. ChristianZilla Orange Belt

I agree Jones needs to jump in and fight Stipe. That will be a good fight to gauge him at HW. If Jones/Stipe gets signed, that means the top 8 HWs are all scheduled to fight each other. That's cool to see.

Geniusss likes this.
  13. RustyShacleford Green Belt

I seriously doubt Jones will take anything other than a title fight for a big payday, and the only thing stopping the ufc from giving him one is the pay dispute. Winning a contender fight won't give him any promotional advantage that he doesn't already have, but losing one would destroy his best promotional asset, being undefeated.

Ufc has been selling ppv's well recently, so clearly they don't feel the need to pay Jones enough to make a big event happen, and Jones is doing the smart thing of waiting them out. Within two years they'll probably be struggling again to make an event that can do 1 mil+ ppv buys, and then they'll have to meet his price. It worked for GSP with the Bisping negotiation.

Personally, I would love to see Jones at heavyweight, but the division doesn't need it. HW is looking as good as it has since Cain, JDS, Verdum, and Overeem were all in top form, and unlike then it's not suffering from constant cancelations.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Geniusss likes this.
  14. MCS Tech

Stipe's been fine waiting. They'll likely eventually get the Ngannou/Lewis fight done. Stipe fights the winner. If Gane beats Volkov he's probably getting a title eliminator. That could also be Stipe. Jones is basically retired.

15. KAZSoliloquy Steel Belt

cyril gane is seriously #3? this division is bleak.

16. VulcanNervPinch Gold Belt

Yeah, Jones only wants a top visibility title fight.

He knows his HW days will probably begin and end with the same fight and he wants as much money and as good an excuse as possible when that time comes.

RustyShacleford likes this.
  17. Geniusss Green Belt

That makes sense and yes I understand the fight that would sell the most would be Ngannou vs Jones
    Also Lewis and Miocic are huge risks for those two.

But if you think about it, Jones beating Miocic would be a huge thing and would show people that he's a legit hight level heavyweight and he actually has a chance against Francis. And Lewis is pretty much the only heavyweight Ngannou hasn't murked yet.

So I think Ngannou and Jones beating those guys would be a huge thing and would get waaayy more attention for the potential Ngannou vs Jones

18. Yrat Purple Belt

Miocic vs Rozenstriuk would somehow makes sense at this point

19. Geniusss Green Belt

20. Virtually Identical Orange Belt

I’m with you on this one, as one of the biggest Jones fans on the forum, I think it’s a mistake not going for the stipe fight, it’s a good first fight at heavyweight. Former 2x champ, helps the legacy and gives him some rounds in his new division. And quite honestly, it gives him a chance for the belt to get taken off Francis. I know he’d much rather fight Lewis than Francis, while also getting a big time legendary win on his record. It’s a no brained for me at this point

Geniusss likes this.