1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

heavy kettlebel

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by fighting.spirit, Jun 28, 2010.

1. fighting.spirit Yellow Belt

Hello everyone.

I'd like to start some kettlebell training. I'm quite athletic and I've previously lifted weights (on and off). My dilemma is that the only kettlebells being sold, in my area, are heavy. 30kgs (66lbs) and higher. I picked them up at the store and did a couple of reps. They felt alright. A bit heavy, though. I doubt i'll be able to go on for more than a couple of minutes.

Thoughts? Thanks all.

2. fighting.spirit Yellow Belt

"Kettlebells come in 'poods'. A pood is an old Russian measure of weight, which equals 16kg, or roughly 35 lbs. An average man should start with a 35-pounder. It does not sound like a lot but believe it; it feels a lot heavier than it should! Most men will eventually progress to a 53-pounder, the standard issue size in the Russian military. Although available in most units, 70-pounders are used only by a few advanced guys and in elite competitions. 88-pounders are for mutants."

I guess this answers my question. I'm definitely not advanced, nor do I enter elite comptetitions. I apologize for starting this thread.

3. chia POWER OF THE GLOW

You could just buy the heavier KB and work on getting stronger with it.

4. fighting.spirit Yellow Belt

I inititally started the thread for that purpose. But it seems starting off with a such a heavy weight may be counter-productive [for proper tenchinque]. Thanks for your input, though.

5. Tosa Red Belt

Do you already have a quality barbell, plenty of weight plates, power rack, bench, etc? Because while kettlebells can be useful, they are best used when supplementing basic barbell lifts.

6. fighting.spirit Yellow Belt

I have some equipment, yes. And I plan on joining a weight lifting gym, once again, in the near future.

7. Tosa Red Belt

Then you might want to consider if whatever gym you join might have kettlebells. If that's the case you'd have access to a wider range of kettlebell weights than you probably could afford to buy for at home.

8. Klotz Shalom

If you're only going to have one, might as well be heavy.

I've injured myself with a 40 kg kettlebell. Fun times.

9. Urban Savage Mystic

Join a gym and start lifting for real, then add goofy shit on top of that. As somebody that wasted years of his life doing the goofy shit first, I can't you how much I regret it. kettlebells (and dare I say clubbbells) have an appropriate place in SUPPLEMENTING proper training, so start with proper training first, and go from there.

10. Klotz Shalom

I'm kinda strong and I agree with Urban.