Heavy Gear Assault - Insane robotic MMA!

Nik123

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Have any of you heard about this game? Stumbled upon this gem last weekend and have been playing the very early alpha all week, it's amazing (and it's potential even more so!).

In addition to the glorious weapons, you can do things like literally rip of your opponents arm or leg and beat them to death with it, in massive arenas where other players will be watching, placing bets, and cheering you on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=-CdcMXSbHFQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLwXqVpnTGM

Made by a really talented and hard working team of guys at MekTek who are making a true next-gen mech game. Heavy Gear is a universe with a rich and pretty sweet background story, awesome war machines you can pilot, and is being built from the ground up on the Unreal 4 engine. They're planning on a single player campaign as well, and will do lots more if there is enough fan demand.

http://heavygear.com/

d2d617d61e97506158d17904f0fa6111_large.jpg

Last edited:
^ don't be such a cheapo you can get some skin in the game for like 20 bucks. These guys deserve your attention - the small guys who make quality games versus the big money making machines that make crappy mainstream games.

I just want a demo, that's all. If I liked it, I'd buy it.. But I don't want to throw money at something I might not enjoy.. I've done that with enough games already

The game looks amazing. But I am not paying for any more unfinished, poorly advertized, great looking in progress games for awhile.

Is it related to the old school Heavy Gear games Activision made in the late-90s after they lost the Mechwarrior license?

Heavygear_activision.jpg

Man I used to have that game, I think I got stuck on the sixth mission or something. I had the second one as well, you had way more mechs and weapons in that one.

The game looks amazing. But I am not paying for any more unfinished, poorly advertized, great looking in progress games for awhile.

These guys are from MekTek - same guys who made Mechwarrior Living Legends, when the franchise was dead (and they did it for free, just because they were fans of mech combat). Lot of people out there who just want to make money and drop shitty products, which is a shame because hard working, low key,quality teams like this have to struggle through public perception. These guys are the real deal, and will make a top notch game. Just need to get them some support and expand the player base, it's going to be insane.

I still haven't seen any signs of life with this game. Streaming or other new media.

These guys are from MekTek - same guys who made Mechwarrior Living Legends, when the franchise was dead (and they did it for free, just because they were fans of mech combat). Lot of people out there who just want to make money and drop shitty products, which is a shame because hard working, low key,quality teams like this have to struggle through public perception. These guys are the real deal, and will make a top notch game. Just need to get them some support and expand the player base, it's going to be insane.

I am a MWO vet so I am just scorned by this pay model for games.
it does look fascinating though and I hope it works out well.

It does disturb me when I see a game so in my wheel house that I should be following it but they have such a poor footprint on social/gaming media that no one knows anything about it.
Even if they are solid devs if they create no buzz there wont be a community to enjoy it.

I am a MWO vet so I am just scorned by this pay model for games.
it does look fascinating though and I hope it works out well.

It does disturb me when I see a game so in my wheel house that I should be following it but they have such a poor footprint on social/gaming media that no one knows anything about it.
Even if they are solid devs if they create no buzz there wont be a community to enjoy it.

Yeah, I'm a MWO vet too, and this game is set to blow that out of the water. It's not F2P like MWO either, so different model (and better model imo). They are steadily growing their player base (numbers are growing weekly), but no harm spreading the word too.

Yeah, I'm a MWO vet too, and this game is set to blow that out of the water. It's not F2P like MWO either, so different model (and better model imo). They are steadily growing their player base (numbers are growing weekly), but no harm spreading the word too.

What sort of numbers are we looking at?

Do you stream on twitch at all?

What sort of numbers are we looking at?

Do you stream on twitch at all?

They haven't released formal numbers for a while, but from 0 at concept stage they have gone to several thousand over a few months since the early alpha released. And this is before any serious marketing.

I don't twitch myself, but there is a heavy gear twitch channel if you want to check it out.

Main driver for the game is going to be e-sport, arena style matches, so you can expect serious tournaments.

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Heavy Gear Assault

For fucks sake, it is so easy to make an impressive sound picture with all the HD videos floating around on YouTube, and instead they release trailers with a machinegun sample that's at least two decades old?

Is it related to the old school Heavy Gear games Activision made in the late-90s after they lost the Mechwarrior license?

Heavygear_activision.jpg

MekTek is legit but I kind of don't care about the Heavy Gear universe.

Who do we have to leak Ashley Madison account deets of to get a proper single-player Mechwarrior campaign in a modern game engine?

Heavygear_activision.jpg

Yes same series, same universe. They're going to release a single player campaign with the open arena PvP part!

MekTek is legit but I kind of don't care about the Heavy Gear universe.

Who do we have to leak Ashley Madison account deets of to get a proper single-player Mechwarrior campaign in a modern game engine?

Lol. I kind of didn't care about the Heavy Gear universe either (till last week), till I actually read up on it. It's actually a more realistic take on mecha combat and politics than the battletech universe imo.

More importantly, the game even in its current infancy stage is bloody fun to play (with almost none of the big features implemented yet). And this is coming from someone who plays Mechwarrior Online daily.

Great read if you have the time/inclination -

http://mmos.com/editorials/interview-with-stompy-bot-productions-developers-of-heavy-gear-assault

Last edited:
How is MWO these days? I stopped playing a bit after the UI 2.0 and broken clan mech release

i love mechs, but damn does this need a serious polish it looks kinda bad for being in UE4. Since its an alpha, ill hope it gets some overhauls

How is MWO these days? I stopped playing a bit after the UI 2.0 and broken clan mech release

They've fixed a lot of issues since then, but a long way to go (they're slowly working on AI for single player, Solaris duels etc)!

i love mechs, but damn does this need a serious polish it looks kinda bad for being in UE4. Since its an alpha, ill hope it gets some overhauls

Yeah, it's all placeholder stuff at the moment. Watch the 'Paxton Arms' clip, that's all in-engine stuff, and that is how it will look when finished (if not better).

looks cool, but not paying if they don't release a free demo

^ don't be such a cheapo you can get some skin in the game for like 20 bucks. These guys deserve your attention - the small guys who make quality games versus the big money making machines that make crappy mainstream games.

Isn't the cheapest game pack 40$?
I was thinking of spending like 20 on the game but dont see a option there.

Isn't the cheapest game pack 40$?
I was thinking of spending like 20 on the game but dont see a option there.

Yeah think you're right.

Small price to pay for what they have in store (arena combat, e-sports tournament rankings, single player campaign, sick customization options...as a tip of the iceberg), and if you have even a slightest inclination towards mech combat games.

I went for the 60 option, no regrets. Having fun with even the basic alpha state game right now.

Back