205x5x1

squats
235x5x3
245x5x2

BOR
135x5x5

close grip bench

135x5x4

i finished sam sheridan's book "a fighters heart" this afternoon while i was at the laundromat, and i wanted to note some of my thoughts on the book here since this is where i log my MMA training. i see at as sort of like mental MMA training because 1) im dumb as a bag of hammers and finishing a book took discipline lol and 2) the book puts a lot of discussion and thought into why people train and fight.

the book starts of with sam in thailand at the fairtex camp, where he paints a pretty interesting picture of what his training was like before the camp "sold out". bug ridden bedrooms, long runs every morning, through undeveloped countryside etc. and he soon gets his first pro muay thai fight. this is probably my favorite chapter of the book.

he moves on to a couple different camps, militech, BTT and a pro boxing gym in oakland. he logs some interesting observations from the camps, but spent far to long with andre ward in oakland which to be blunt was pretty boring.

after logging his experiences at the camps he goes back to south east asia to train and fight, but due to an injury ends up looking into to dogfighting. i found this very interesting. the comparisons he makes between dogfighting and MMA are interesting and very relevant. "gameness" is what dogfighting revolves around and is the charactoristic most important in a good fighting dog.

the end of the book revolved around why men (and women i suppose) feel the need to fight and this section sparked some ideas i've always held true about fighting and conflict.

biological reasons:

sam talks about fighting as part of mans evolution, a sort of competition. fighting is definitely something instinctual, primitave and carnal. he talks about pat militech walking through the mall and feeling like a shark among seals, which kind of struck home with me. by no means do i thinkim a shark among seals, but at times when i am in a place with a lot of people, like a mall for example, i find myself sizing people up. i mean to harm or malice to anyone, but fighting is just something that instinctually crosses my mind. who i would have a good fight with, who would kick my ass, who wi would squash.
sam talked about it going back to the hunter/gatherer days. before man was civilised it was pretty easy to establish the alpha male. you could compare yourself to the best hunter. as man became more civilised, conquered other species, we relied on inter species violence to determine who the best hunter, the "alpha male" was. war and conflict ensued. we as males have been bread for fight. growing up we are exposed to the medias portrayal of strong men as warrior's or alpha males

but aside from biological reasons there are psychological reasons. he talked about a couple of different psychological reasons. one being the "fight club" theory. we feel alive or a sensory overload when we are fighting, an escape from boredom perhaps. another theory is that men a re game oriented and what makes games more entertaining, more intriguing is whats at stake. playing games with ones life at stake has a huge attraction, not only for the competitor but for the viewer. in my opinion, and sam touched on this, we fight because it is one of the few things in life that is honest and true. out of stuggle comes truth, a lot of philosophers have touched on it, marx and engels talked about dialectics, even japanese philosphy talks about ying and yang. it is a very basic principle. the way humans come to conclusions is through arguement, struggle conflict. on a daily basis we use pro's and con's, we discuss different opinions in order to find a truth or a conclusion. ecconomically we struggle everyday, to better our situations, at our workplacers there is constant posturing, a struggle to emerge and better yourself and your famillies situation. struggle, arguement and conflict is what propels us through our lives, it is our existence. fighting is the ultimate struggle and as i said earlier it is the most honest and true form of struggle. what i mean by this is, once the fight is on, all the talking and posturing is out the window. so much of our existence is talking, yapping, bullshit, lies etc. none of that exists when you are fighting. it is brutally honest, you ability to fight is exposed for what it is and nothing can cover it up. out of this struggle a very basic truth emerges, either you are the better fighter or you are not. this what attracts me to fighting and training and i think it probably holds true for a lot of others.

june 8 pm

muay thai

warmup-skipping shadowboxing

padwork

some coditioning padwork - laps around the gym throwing knees 50 kicks per leg

5 rounds sparring
2 boxing only 3 modified muay thai (no elbows or knees to the head)

i finished sam sheridan's book "a fighters heart" this afternoon while i was at the laundromat, and i wanted to note some of my thoughts on the book here since this is where i log my MMA training. i see at as sort of like mental MMA training because 1) im dumb as a bag of hammers and finishing a book took discipline lol and 2) the book puts a lot of discussion and thought into why people train and fight.

the book starts of with sam in thailand at the fairtex camp, where he paints a pretty interesting picture of what his training was like before the camp "sold out". bug ridden bedrooms, long runs every morning, through undeveloped countryside etc. and he soon gets his first pro muay thai fight. this is probably my favorite chapter of the book.

he moves on to a couple different camps, militech, BTT and a pro boxing gym in oakland. he logs some interesting observations from the camps, but spent far to long with andre ward in oakland which to be blunt was pretty boring.

after logging his experiences at the camps he goes back to south east asia to train and fight, but due to an injury ends up looking into to dogfighting. i found this very interesting. the comparisons he makes between dogfighting and MMA are interesting and very relevant. "gameness" is what dogfighting revolves around and is the charactoristic most important in a good fighting dog.

the end of the book revolved around why men (and women i suppose) feel the need to fight and this section sparked some ideas i've always held true about fighting and conflict.

biological reasons:

sam talks about fighting as part of mans evolution, a sort of competition. fighting is definitely something instinctual, primitave and carnal. he talks about pat militech walking through the mall and feeling like a shark among seals, which kind of struck home with me. by no means do i thinkim a shark among seals, but at times when i am in a place with a lot of people, like a mall for example, i find myself sizing people up. i mean to harm or malice to anyone, but fighting is just something that instinctually crosses my mind. who i would have a good fight with, who would kick my ass, who wi would squash.
sam talked about it going back to the hunter/gatherer days. before man was civilised it was pretty easy to establish the alpha male. you could compare yourself to the best hunter. as man became more civilised, conquered other species, we relied on inter species violence to determine who the best hunter, the "alpha male" was. war and conflict ensued. we as males have been bread for fight. growing up we are exposed to the medias portrayal of strong men as warrior's or alpha males

finish later....

I agree with most of those points the last really hitting home we have been socialized to fight the media portrays the tuff guy as a fighter even in Pulp Fiction Bruce Willis was a boxer regardless of how todays society views fighters we are socialized to do just that.

The militich quote was interesting I do that almost everywhere I go and it's always been that way but I always saw it more as me having a competitor mindset because I know 2 of my good friends who we all played football together and than transitioned to MMA once we were done with h.s. ball have the same mindset so maybe there really is something to that quote I think it goes beyond fighters and just to someone who is competitive and always strives to be the best.

Would you recommend the book two thumbs up or what?

I agree with most of those points the last really hitting home we have been socialized to fight the media portrays the tuff guy as a fighter even in Pulp Fiction Bruce Willis was a boxer regardless of how todays society views fighters we are socialized to do just that.

The militich quote was interesting I do that almost everywhere I go and it's always been that way but I always saw it more as me having a competitor mindset because I know 2 of my good friends who we all played football together and than transitioned to MMA once we were done with h.s. ball have the same mindset so maybe there really is something to that quote I think it goes beyond fighters and just to someone who is competitive and always strives to be the best.

Would you recommend the book two thumbs up or what?

yea for sure i would recommend the book, there were some slow parts to be honest but if your a hardcore fight fan its an interesting read.

june 9

1 hour muay thai. laps around the gym and "shining shoes" for warm up

the whole class was light flow type sparring. trying to improve reaction time i guess. one of the junior instructors taught the class. i am not impressed with his stand up teaching abilities as of yet. IMHO you dont learn anything from pillowfighting, in fact you develop bad habits. either punch me in the fucking face or dont.

june 11

warm up on treadmill

deadlifts

225x5x1 oh
275x5x1 oh
315x3x1
365x2x1
385x2x1
395 failx2
315x5x1

push press
115x5x3
135x5x2

chins
bwx5x5

zercher deadlift

*off 24 inch pins*

95x5x1
135x5x1
155x5x2

notes: my sticking point for the deads is about a foot and half off the ground. at which i quiver like a bitch and use all my might to lock the deads out but to no avail. figured a few zerchers might help out. my platue may be a result of me not doing dynamic rows anymore. insted of BOR's maybe i outta try some power cleans or go back to dynamic rows.

june 12

i hour muay thai

2 round skipping
10-15 minutes ofplyo excersises and core conditioning (planks, medicine ball lunges, quick feet, 1 minute squats)

5- 10 mins cross fighting
4 5 min rounds sparring

more one minute squats

MMA
warm up, shadow boxing, sprawls, hindu pushups, jumping squats.

GnP techniques for whole class

15 mins rolling with strikes

notes: good times in east van

june 13

bench

185x5x5 (no treadmill warm up, i struggled with this more than usual)

squata

205x5x1
215x5x1
225x5x1
245x5x1
255x5x1

cleans
95x5x2
115x5x1
125x5x1
135x3x1

notes: .....burn out.... *sips beer*

june 16

bench
135x5x1
155x5x1
185x5x1
195x5x1
210x3x1

squat

225x5x2
275x2x1
285x1x2 PR
225x5x2

cleans superset with neck curls

cleans 135x5x5
neck curls 25x10x5

june
16 pm

i hour muay thai

skipping shadow boxing warm up

lots of sparring

core conditioning

june 17
1 hour muay thai
cross fighting warm up focus on body attacks
lots o' sparring
bw squats

june 18

deadlift

275x5x1 ohg
315x5x1
365x2x1
390x1x1 PR
395x1x1 PR
315x5x1
225x5x1 SLDL ohg

push press

95x5x1
115x5x1
125x5x1
135x2x1
125x5x1

chins superset w/neck curls

bwx5x5

neck curls

35x5x2
25x8x3

notes: i have failed in my PR attempts in the past few weeks on deadlifts with shoes on. shoes came off this week and i bitch slapped that shit.

Nice job man, you could for sure hit 405 with a little different of a set up. I can't imagine hitting a DL pr then going for another one right after, yikes

Nice job man, you could for sure hit 405 with a little different of a set up. I can't imagine hitting a DL pr then going for another one right after, yikes

what kinda set up? i dont really know what im doing when it comes to loading. 390 was only a 5 pound PR and i pulled it pretty easy so i said fuck it and put 5 lb plates on each side.

neck curls with a harness? if so, did you buy it local?

Welcome to the team, good work on the DL, was the PR with a double overhand grip as well or just the sets noted?

Back