Heavy bag gloves???

tommboy

White Belt
Reaction score
Right now I have "bag" gloves, but have ordered 12 oz gloves for sparring and other types of training to increase my speed. Can I/should I use them when im hitting the heavy bag also, or are they not meant for that and will get ruined???

Do not use sparring gloves for anything except sparring. The impact on bags or even mitts will pack in the padding and making them much more painful to be hit with, defeating the purpose of getting sparring gloves in the first place.

oh.... well I definately need to buy a pair of gloves for hitting pads and I definately was going to use them for hitting pads. Do you suggest I buy the same kind for sparring? Just two pairs and maybe different weights????

12oz gloves are bag gloves thats what we use at my gym for bag/pad work we spar with 18oz 12 oz gloves for sparing is a shure fire way to get and give injuries

Shotokan777 said:
Do not use sparring gloves for anything except sparring. The impact on bags or even mitts will pack in the padding and making them much more painful to be hit with, defeating the purpose of getting sparring gloves in the first place.

Excellent post. Get a pair of gloves specifically designed for heavy bag work and leave your sparring gloves only for sparring.

Richard Emling said:
12oz gloves are bag gloves thats what we use at my gym for bag/pad work we spar with 18oz 12 oz gloves for sparing is a shure fire way to get and give injuries

ok im going to get 12 oz for my bag and pads! Any suggestions???

i often work with the same gloves, and my sparring ones haven't really got any harder. i say it depends on the gloves, if you have quality gloves and don't hit fuckin concrete, you'll be fine using them for everything.

I use my 16oz gloves for sparring and padwork, and a pair of bag gloves for the bag.

allright then would they be good for sparring and pad work?

tommboy said:
allright then would they be good for sparring and pad work?

I use 14 oz. Fairtex Pro Sparring Gloves for my Sparring/Mitts, they are not the most comfortable gloves I've worn, but they protect my hands well, I've been using them about a month and they still look/feel brand new. I am still trying to break them in.

My cousin uses 16 oz. Twins Gloves for Sparring/Mitts, these are real comfortable to wear but I havn't actually used them yet.

tommboy said:
where is a good place to purchase these online?

I got my Fairtex Pro Sparring Gloves from mmawarehouse.com , due to a mixup when I ordered the pro training gloves I got my pro sparring gloves for $68 instead of the listed $85.

If you want twins I reccomend vutmuaythai.com because I have ordered from them before for my cousins Twins.

You can also get Twins/Fairtex/Windy equipment from http://www.wkausa.com/ which is the Official Website of the World Kickboxing Association for the USA, but I have never dealed with them.

thats just great lol, wkausa.com doesnt work and mmagear.com doesnt sell gloves (must be diff site)

tommboy said:
thats just great lol, wkausa.com doesnt work and mmagear.com doesnt sell gloves (must be diff site)

yeah sorry I'm a tard, it is mmawarehouse.com, for some reason I do stuff like that all the time, like put the cup of water I just poured into the fridge and attempt take the pitcher of water with me.

do you suggest I get 12 or ones that weigh more? Will it make me any slower/worse at sparring if I use heavier weighted gloves?

Back