heavy bag glove weight - is it ok to decrease from 16 to 14oz?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by jpuma1, Aug 24, 2010.

1. jpuma1

jpuma1 White Belt

i'm looking to invest in a new pair of heavy bag gloves. i've been using a pair of twins special super bag gloves 16oz, which have been really comfortable on my hands/wrists, but they're breaking down.

i've heard about the ringside IMF tech bag gloves, and would like to try them out, but they only come in 14oz.

Is there a real difference btw. 14 and 16 oz gloves? if i've been using 16oz since i started training, is it bad for me to go down? or would it be ok to use 14oz gloves to add variety to my workouts?

the gloves would be used primarily for western boxing heavy bag workouts, but i do dabble in muay thai also.

i'm 5"10, 165lbs.

2. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

It is very normal to use 12 and 14oz gloves on the bag. That's why almost all super bag gloves are 12 or 14s.

3. couzo

couzo Blue Belt

I just received a pair of the ringside IMF gloves to replace my old 16oz gloves I used fir pad and bag work. You won't regret living up a pair they are amazing gloves

4. The Victor

The Victor White Belt

I could have sworn the IMF Tech gloves came in 16oz as well. I was looking to get a pair. Now I may rethink my next purchase. I started out using these as sparring gloves only until my title 14oz bag gloves began to fall apart so I've been using it mostly for bag work now, Fighting Sports Tri-Tech

5. jpuma1

jpuma1 White Belt

6. sfortune85

sfortune85 White Belt

I use 10 and 12's on the bag/pads (since these are fight glove weights) and 16's and 18's for sparring. You'll be fine with a 14. (5'7, 184lbs)