Heart Rate monitor

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Rivet L, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Rivet L

Rivet L Yellow Belt

I use to use a HR monitor for conditioning, but it broke and I haven't had the motivation to replace it.

I was humoring finding one that would work comfortably for doing BJJ. Does anyone else do this? What model do you use?

2. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

I was interested in getting a wrist band fitness activity tracker for 24/7 use even bjj, but they are a tad too bulky for rolling unfortunately...and plus most of them don't even track heart rate

I have been looking at this recently http://www.amazon.co.uk/Under-Armour-Armour39®-Module-Chest/dp/B00F8LTNOA

its not a fitness activity tracker though, so you don't wear it 24/7 but it could be good for bjj...I knew people who have worn chest monitors with no interference

3. tenktriangles

tenktriangles Blue Belt

I have a suunto m5 that I wear sometimes. No problems. I would probably tape the connection point on the strap, though. If it breaks on this unit, it's fucked.

If I was buying a new one, I'd get the current polar, which is ht7 I think. You can get just the strap and it talks to your phone, and you can use it for heart rate variability

4. immanurse

immanurse White Belt

i read on here once... there was somebody who used it for rolling... don't recall the make/model.

out of curiosity, why are you using it for rolling?

5. Mocrates

Mocrates Ik ben Groot.

I have one built into my phone, but I only use it when I'm training on my own. I can't run over to check my heart rate in between each round of randori.

I would never wear a wrist monitor when rolling, however. I also would never even entertain the idea to wear one during judo. One of those things would never survive the first set of nagekomi.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  6. Rivet L

Rivet L Yellow Belt

Having a heart rate monitor is integral to doing conditioning, that's how you track your progress.

Since I need to buy a new one anyways, I wanted the possibility to use it while training. I was interested in tracking how much effect my conditioning has on rolling, and also using BJJ-drills as a conditioning tool.

7. tenktriangles

tenktriangles Blue Belt

Agreed, yes, I was unclear. I leave the watch at the side and just wear the strap, and run over and check from time to time, a good hr will read right away. Not something I do for live training, more for drills if I am watching my hr to fit my training program.

8. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Recently got myself a Timex Ironman Road trainer. It's a chest strap for HR and a watch duo.

Tracks calories burned (meh), chronograph, lap intervals, HR zones. For 130$ not bad.

I wouldn't use this for live roll or sparring, but for drills or bag work, aerobic or LT training, it's a great investment.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  9. Gus77

Gus77 White Belt

If I see anybody using a heart monitor chest strap when rolling I will be tempted at choking them with it, so better use under a rash guard. But I also entertained the idea of using one of those wrist tracking during rolling and drilling, out of curiosity, but it is kind bulky.