Head trainer left taking 20 top fighters with him

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Destillat, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Destillat

Destillat White Belt

Hey guys, I posted this in stand up but feel I could get interesting responses from here too. So i began training at this new gym and I've been there for a little over 2 months. 1 month into it the head trainer is suspiciously absent as well as some of our top fighters. I later find out he went to a competing gym with my current gym's top fighters.

My question is has anybody else gone through this type of gym division and how did it turn out? On one hand I am excited because our new head trainer, Coban Lookchaomaesaitong, will be starting soon but with literally half of the best talent in the gym missing, I don't know how the gym will rebuild. Do you think I should stay or check out the gym everybody moved to? One thing that affects the decision is in addition to Coban being an absolutely sick MT trainer he is my weight division and left handed like me.

2. davejitsu

davejitsu Purple Belt

Splits and divides happen all the time in our sport. I would not worry about it as long as your are happy where you are training and who you will be training with.

3. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

Loyalty is key when building a report with your instructors and teammates. Luckily for you, you haven't been training long enough to build any type of loyalty. Make a choice on what you feel is right for you and go forward with it.

On a side note, that was very shady by the instructor. I question anyone who engages in activites such as that. Just my 2 cents.

4. joe90210

joe90210 Blue Belt

Coban is a legend, I bet a bunch of the guys who left will come back when they find out he's teaching..

5. Destillat

Destillat White Belt

ok that seems to be the consensus. I really have no loyalty or ties to the exodus of fighters and i'm super super excited about coban coming in. Only thing is, there is seriously a lack of talent in the gym now. I'm in the middle of the talent pool still but if I were to have a training camp for a fight, for instance, I wouldn't have nearly the same support I had a month ago

6. akharon

akharon Blue Belt

Another silver lining is that you'll get a lot more face time with the instructor, your game will go up quicker than just with fellow students. Given the little info we have, I'd stay there if I were you.

7. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

You can probably bring in training partners for fight prep if you need to, talk to your new coach about it