Head trainer left taking 20 top fighters with him

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Destillat, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Destillat

Destillat White Belt

Hey guys, this is my first time posting and I have a pretty interesting dilemma. So i began training at this new gym and I've been there for a little over 2 months. 1 month into it the head trainer is suspiciously absent as well as some of our top fighters. I later find out he went to a competing gym with my current gym's top fighters.

My question is has anybody else gone through this type of gym division and how did it turn out? On one hand I am excited because our new head trainer, Coban Lookchaomaesaitong, will be starting soon but with literally half of the best talent in the gym missing, I don't know how the gym will rebuild. Do you think I should stay or check out the gym everybody moved to? One thing that affects the decision is in addition to Coban being an absolutely sick MT trainer he is my weight division and left handed like me.

2. bubkusjones

bubkusjones Brown Belt

I'd stay for a bit (finish off your contract?) and see how things go, how well you mesh with the trainer, the morale of the school following the exodus. Who knows, this may be the best thing for your training.

Worst thing that could happen is you waste some of your time and switch schools.

3. FromNJnoguido

FromNJnoguido Blue Belt

just stay see how it goes and if you dont like it then leave

4. Destillat

Destillat White Belt

morale is definitely low. I foresee more people leaving in the next month

5. bubkusjones

bubkusjones Brown Belt

That sucks, but maybe the new trainer can pick things up and get things organized again.

Do you know why the old trainer left?

6. Destillat

Destillat White Belt

Nothing specific but I have seen the original trainer over the years (been training for a year and a half) and he had tried before to make his own strictly MT gym in the past as the one I'm at now is mma centric. His club failed but for a while he was head trainer at both. The gym he moved to now is strictly muay thai.

7. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

If your the best then don't stay but if you're in the middle then I would suggest staying unless you really want to go and check out this new gym.

8. Steakeater**

Steakeater** Banned Banned

Where do you train?

9. Destillat

Destillat White Belt

pm sent, steakeater. To everybody else I'd rather not say but I live in Philadelphia,PA

10. sfortune85

sfortune85 White Belt

Coban's moving to your gym? You mind my asking where? I'm assuming this is an nyc gym, so I'd like to try a class with The Crusher. I know he was at NY Jiu Jitsu, didn't know he was moving.

11. Destillat

Destillat White Belt

I live in Philadelphia, PA and I was told by the gym owner he is starting August 10th. I have not met him yet but some of the other trainers have. Don't know why he moved from NY?

12. sfortune85

sfortune85 White Belt

Try Coban out, if you don't like it, go back with your trainer. If you like your trainer that much, go with him. Don't know what kind of relationship you guys have, but when my old trainer left the gym 90% of the students followed. I floated between both gyms, but now I'm at a different one. The talent pool may not be as deep at your place now, but it will probably rise again, especially with Coban there to attract those that are in the know.

You can always try Sitan Philly. Awesome gym, great trainer and lots of active fighters.

13. sfortune85

sfortune85 White Belt

No idea. I had no idea he was leaving NY

14. Destillat

Destillat White Belt

Ya, the guy is a legend. I'm excited to train with him and I really have no loyalty with my previous trainer. Just the gym is in a weird place right now. Dunno who's leaving and who's staying

15. gotobread

gotobread Purple Belt

I know exactly which gym you're speaking of and am well aware of what's going on.

Your former trainer is very good, and he took some extremely good fighters with him, but things will most likely pan out for you. I don't think your training will suffer.

16. sfortune85

sfortune85 White Belt

I think I know which gym you're talking about (Sent you a PM) If it's that's the truth I heard some shitty things were done by the gym, but that's just hear-say. I know the instructor there was great and put out some top notch fighters.

I know a guy who has his fights cornered by Coban and he loves the guy. Try him him out. Ride this thing out for a bit and if Coban doesn't work out then try going to the other place. In my case, neither places worked out so I found a 3rd place. Chok dee!

17. Destillat

Destillat White Belt

I sent you a pm gotobread. Any insight for me?

18. TONY THAI

TONY THAI White Belt

you should stay dont jump ship

19. Fear

Fear White Belt

Same thing happened at our gym the head trainer took 6 of the best though so not as bad but the alternate trainer was really good lucky us and thought this was a chance to revamp the gym and change the name and it worked and were busy as ever so stick it out a bit see how it goes

20. gotobread

gotobread Purple Belt

Bump.

Still training there, Destillat?

I was there yesterday because I wanted to check out one of Coban's classes. I've been told he's there permanently now, and I definitely enjoyed the class. Coban's a bit quiet, but he's very personable and seems to watch everyone closely and correct improper technique when he sees it. Hopefully you haven't jumped ship just yet.