Head Position While On Top

lightw8

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
hey guys, been trying to correct some issues with keeping pressure on the guy while on top or even controlling scrambles. But I think part of the problem is that I think Im holding my head too far away from the guy, I kinda recall hearing that head position goes a long way in helping to maintain good position. I never wrestled in hs, so this is not instinctive for me. Anyone clarify where I should keep my head? I instinctively keep it away from the guy (bad neck) cause I always tried to not put load on it when possible. I feel top heavy as well with a stiff lower back, and Im gonna try to rectify that problem soon.

Ill say like in side control, or even trying to pass guard with some body pressure. But on a general level, like trying to ride/control the guy whilst trying to flatten him out and stuff like that. Im just trying to fix my base and not be as easy to toss off etc.

Ill say like in side control, or even trying to pass guard with some body pressure. But on a general level, like trying to ride/control the guy whilst trying to flatten him out and stuff like that. Im just trying to fix my base and not be as easy to toss off etc.

You are being to vague to answer your question.....be more precise on what positions.

Sorry for being unclear guys. If youre flattening a guy out in half guard, do you keep your head postured up, or do you try to put your head as far down as possible? Id try it out but nursing an arm now.

far more important is hip pressure.
is your leg thats not blocking the hip on your knees or toes?
are you keeping him tight to you with your elbows?
controlling his head is more important than your own.

edit:
in half guard putting your head down is going to get you subbed if your not careful and dont do it at the right times.
However, having it to far away means your not controlling the hips correctly.

If I were you I would focus on the hips more than the head to develop this.

far more important is hip pressure.
is your leg thats not blocking the hip on your knees or toes?
are you keeping him tight to you with your elbows?
controlling his head is more important than your own.

edit:
in half guard putting your head down is going to get you subbed if your not careful and dont do it at the right times.
However, having it to far away means your not controlling the hips correctly.

If I were you I would focus on the hips more than the head to develop this.

one of my biggest priorities right now is to control my opponent easier/better. I do carry most of my weight on my knees, mostly cause my ankles are really weak. I am trying to figure out how to get my hips lower and working on my lumber/lower body flexibility. Thanks for the advice thus far!

Basically you want your head at an angle but in side control that's obviously not an issue. In full mount I think that turning your head at a slight angle means that your body will follow. It's all because you never want to be parallel with someone who is in your guard.

Sorry for being unclear guys. If youre flattening a guy out in half guard, do you keep your head postured up, or do you try to put your head as far down as possible? Id try it out but nursing an arm now.

Depends. If your head is on the other side of his body in top half guard, you don't want it too low, like on the mat, because that makes it possible for him to roll you over, which he should not be able to do. But if your head is on the same side of him as your body (say you're working a knee slide pass with a far-side underhook), you want your head low so you can maintain your base and keep your weight on that side of him.

Back