Head Position In Clinch

MongoMudd

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In the over under greco clinch in MMA, do you want the top of your head in his jaw, just like in wrestling or is there some other adaptation for MMA? I know in greco wrestling you generally want your head lower than his and drive it up into his jaw/chin. Just wondering if there are any tweaks that need to be made for MMA? Thanks

No different. Head up into his jaw on your underhook side, help you jack up that underhook and improve your clinch position.

No different. Head up into his jaw on your underhook side, help you jack up that underhook and improve your clinch position.

I have a question about this. I have been told that for the most part you want your head on your overhook side, so your opponent cannot punch you in the face. Is this wrong?

That's okay, if you want to play the over-under/neutral game, and not improve your position. If you want to swim in and get a deep underhook that will put him at a disadvantage...you have to put your head under his jaw on the underhook side. If you are controlling his bicep/wrist on his other arm, as you should be anyway, you can't be effectively punched. I guess if I guy is real squirrely you could catch an odd-angled knee, but you are actually more likely to be kneed if your head is on the overhook side.

If you are controlling his bicep/wrist on his other arm, as you should be anyway, you can't be effectively punched. I guess if I guy is real squirrely you could catch an odd-angled knee, but you are actually more likely to be kneed if your head is on the overhook side.

I'm not talking about getting punched with his other hand, because like you said I should be controlling that. I'm talking about getting hit with the hand that you don't have overhooked. When you put your head on the same side as your underhook, what keeps him from coming over the top with tons of dirty boxing? Especially if you can't get your head into that good position...

Those are going to be some ghey, weak-ass punches if they are coming from an arm that is overhooked. No leverage whatsoever. Try it.

Seriously, at best you can get in some pansy shots to the ear. More or less, with underhook in secure position as described, you've neutralized his punching. Either you are fighting the baddest arm-puncher ever if he can hurt you with his jaw jacked up by your head and tight underhook....or you are very wimpy.

A little experimentation should tell you a lot.

Those are going to be some ghey, weak-ass punches if they are coming from an arm that is overhooked. No leverage whatsoever. Try it.

Seriously, at best you can get in some pansy shots to the ear. More or less, with underhook in secure position as described, you've neutralized his punching. Either you are fighting the baddest arm-puncher ever if he can hurt you with his jaw jacked up by your head and tight underhook....or you are very wimpy.

A little experimentation should tell you a lot.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. Let me ask you this. Is there a "correct" position for you head and/or lead foot to be on with respect to your underhook? What I mean is, should I have my head on my underhook side with my opposite leg leading, or what? I suspect that it all depends on the situation but I am unsure.

So in other words, if I am in an over under clinch, which side should my lead foot be on in regards to my head? Should my lead leg be on the same side as my head, or my underhook, or what? Or does it even matter?

Thanks again for the info.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. Let me ask you this. Is there a "correct" position for you head and/or lead foot to be on with respect to your underhook? What I mean is, should I have my head on my underhook side with my opposite leg leading, or what? I suspect that it all depends on the situation but I am unsure.

So in other words, if I am in an over under clinch, which side should my lead foot be on in regards to my head? Should my lead leg be on the same side as my head, or my underhook, or what? Or does it even matter?

Thanks again for the info.

It seems like if he is working his underhook you want your head and lead leg on that side so you can weigh down his underhook. Is this right?

Ok, been looking through some instructionals and it looks like the head postition relative to the underhook is flexible. Sometimes your can be on the underhook side, sometimes it can be on the overhook side. Now the lead foot is a different story. It seems that the lead foot is always the foot on the same side as your head is positioned. So if your head is to the right of his you will lead with your right foot, regardless if that is your underhook or overhook side. This makes sense because if I separate my head and lead leg when in the clinch I feel VERY off-balanced. Anyone have anything to add?

Back