Head movement?

350 lbs fist

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
As a short guy for my weight class, what should I do to develop my proper head movement to get on the inside of taller guys' reach?

( Yes, I watched Diaz/Noons :D )

Are there any drills or sparring methods I should focus on for instance?

( Am pretty much a striking noob. )

Can't help you on this one, if you need some advice on weight distribution while in mount then talk to me lol.

But I must say this is relavent to my interest

That simple?

Ok. I'll try and scrounge up some instructionals on that.

Thanks!

a double end bag is very useful in using head movement...... it has helped me alot and there is tons of youtube vids on it........hit it and get back out before it comes back......theyre very very helpful in a lot of ways man.... i love mine......all kinds of things to do with it.....

Make yourself a slip/maze bag. Super easy.

you can even put one extra on there... i havent done this yet but it looks fun..

Stretch an elastic cord at about neck height and practice rolling your head under it back and forth while advancing, retreating, turning around, and throwing combinations.

Learning a hard kick wont hurt either. As a shorter fighter myself I find it much easier to get inside on taller guys if I throw a lot of kicks outside of my opponent's jab range

You don't need head movement, just throw superman punches over and over again

Is this strictly for Boxing or full contact MMA?
If it's for MMA, then you should follow fight strategies implemented by Sean Sherk and Tyson Griffin.
Both fighters are 5.6"ft tall, and have adapted their strengths to overcome their height disadvantage.

I'm about to setup a slip bag. Easy to make and can do it at home when I'm bored. Very good

Is this strictly for Boxing or full contact MMA?
If it's for MMA, then you should follow fight strategies implemented by Sean Sherk and Tyson Griffin.
Both fighters are 5.6"ft tall, and have adapted their strengths to overcome their height disadvantage.

NOO! Sherk's biggest problem is he hasn't figured out to use head movement and kicks to get past a longer fighter's jab. He's got solid punches, but he never lands them because his head movement and footwork are weak.

Tyson Griffin's been steadily improving, but I still haven't seen him tearing guys up on the inside.

Now Mike Tyson on the other hand did a great job of overcoming a reach advantage by closing hard on longer fighters and mugging them on the inside

Back