Head movement drills

Gfreak

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hey y'all. Looking for any and all headmovement/footwork drills that I/someone could practice solo.

As of now, the only 2 drills that i really do solo for headmovement is the double end back, and slipping back and forth under a string tied across the ring.

Would love any other drills y'all might like or recommend for practicing that.

Particularly while moving forward to setup getting inside while jabbing.

On a side note. I've noticed while sparring that i don't really have many opportunities to set up a lead hook to the body. I've had great success in counter with the lead hook to the head while moving back/turning. But have been having a lot of trouble getting to a position where i can throw the left hook to the body. Any tips/drills for that as well? Or just more practice sparring haha.

Also just took this quick vid of some double end bag if anyone has any tips for me as well.

Cheers

Take about five or seven light round things, like tennis balls or dodgeballs, hung from the ceiling around the heavy bag about neck height and arm length, to help practice staying mindful and build the habit of slipping 'attacks' while working around the bag.

Last edited:
They make slip bags which can help. It’s like a speed bag full of sand. Hang it from the ceiling and get it swinging while you shadow box and avoid it

i felt i never really could slip unless was with someone throwing fist at my face iv done hundreds hours of slipping rope for more than half my life and to me light sparring drilling with a partner was only way i felt i had it

They make slip bags which can help. It’s like a speed bag full of sand. Hang it from the ceiling and get it swinging while you shadow box and avoid it
One my favorite pieces of equipment. I hang it in front of the mirror off of the rack that holds all the heavy bags at my gym.

Yea i need to order a slip bag, or go grab some rocks and a sock from the yard lol.

Hey y'all. Looking for any and all headmovement/footwork drills that I/someone could practice solo.

As of now, the only 2 drills that i really do solo for headmovement is the double end back, and slipping back and forth under a string tied across the ring.

Would love any other drills y'all might like or recommend for practicing that.

Particularly while moving forward to setup getting inside while jabbing.

On a side note. I've noticed while sparring that i don't really have many opportunities to set up a lead hook to the body. I've had great success in counter with the lead hook to the head while moving back/turning. But have been having a lot of trouble getting to a position where i can throw the left hook to the body. Any tips/drills for that as well? Or just more practice sparring haha.
Getting quality body shot requires two things. The confidence to get in close and the footwork to get there. My favourite way to set up body shots is by threatening with the right to the head, after you get them reacting to that, fake the right and throw the left hook to the body. Make sure you step out of "the pocket" after throwing. Being able to roll under the right hand is also an excellent tool to set up the left hook. My left hook never really became effective until I was able to start rolling under the right.

Also just took this quick vid of some double end bag if anyone has any tips for me as well.

Cheers

Not sure if you have room to move all the way around the ball, but I would recommend trying to circle around the ball a bit more. Your moving quite well but your essentially staying in the same spot. You might find yourself running out of room, if someone really buts the pressure on and comes at you. (I found myself doing this, and I was getting backed on to the ropes a bit, as I wasn't circling all the way out.)

Also could lengthen the jab a bit and move in and out of range more. If your in range to land the right your in range to get hit by it. Your basically staying in the pocket a bit much for my liking. I understand this is partially your style thought and you are most effect punching and moving forward. Just something to think about.

Not sure if you have room to move all the way around the ball, but I would recommend trying to circle around the ball a bit more. Your moving quite well but your essentially staying in the same spot. You might find yourself running out of room, if someone really buts the pressure on and comes at you. (I found myself doing this, and I was getting backed on to the ropes a bit, as I wasn't circling all the way out.)

Yea, it's hard to see in that vid. But it had stormed real bad the night before, so everywhere other than where i was standing was puddles lol.

Maybe it's a confidence thing for the left hook in sparring then. Cause the left hook to the head is what i land more than anything else at the moment. I've noticed as well that when i spar better guys, harder. I tend to wait back for them to come into me. Or go forward a bit and try and bait their attack before stepping back/side and using the left hook. Wish i had footage of the last sparring day i had haha.

Yea, it's hard to see in that vid. But it had stormed real bad the night before, so everywhere other than where i was standing was puddles lol.

Maybe it's a confidence thing for the left hook in sparring then. Cause the left hook to the head is what i land more than anything else at the moment. I've noticed as well that when i spar better guys, harder. I tend to wait back for them to come into me. Or go forward a bit and try and bait their attack before stepping back/side and using the left hook. Wish i had footage of the last sparring day i had haha.
Good entry skills are paramount to effective body shots. That is probably why you sit back against better guys, they are able to catch you on the way in. There is a number of ways to enter the pocket, it's really a matter of finding what works best for you. I prefer the parry and roll (marciano) over slipping to the left (tyson). I find it easier to parry the jab and roll under the big punches. I feel it feel it requires faster head movement to slip to the left like Tyson.

Be careful falling in love with the check hook to much, it's a great punch, but a smart fighter can bait you into turning into the right hand, if your not careful.

As someone who liked to pressure I used to love the left hook to the body. It's prob my best punch. I did find it difficult to throw when in open space though, so what I would always do was if I could push the other person back a bit, then put them them against the ropes, I would pump the jab not to hurt them but only to get them to raise their guard and then slip to my lead hip and come up with the left shovel hook to the body. Basically they couldn't move back, and the throwaway jabs often forced them into a highguard, if they couldn't pivot out of it. So it's something you have to set up properly. Dropped a lot of people in sparring with that punch.

Another one is if you're standing in the pocket and trading, going to the head with the left hook and then to the body afterwards on the same side. As long as they are standing their ground, that works pretty well too.

Last edited:
As someone who liked to pressure I used to love the left hook to the body. It's prob my best punch. I did find it difficult to throw when in open space though, so what I would always do was if I could push the other person back a bit, then put them them against the ropes, I would pump the jab not to hurt them but only to get them to raise their guard and then slip to my lead hip and come up with the left shovel hook to the body. Basically they couldn't move back, and the throwaway jabs often forced them into a highguard, if they couldn't pivot out of it. So it's something you have to set up properly. Dropped a lot of people in sparring with that punch.

Another one is if you're standing in the pocket and trading, going to the head with the left hook and then to the body afterwards on the same side. As long as they are standing their ground, that works pretty well too.
I call the left hook high then low, the double tap, Chavez had an excellent double left hook.

I also don't really have a ring to practice in atm unfortunately. Usually when the group goes over to Fort Bend boxing club (the local gym that hosts golden gloves) I'm unable to make it. So best i have is that big ass cage. harder to trap people there haha.

But, tomorrow my coach won't make it and i'll be covering the class. So depending on who shows up, i might make them practice that with me haha.

I was just watching Plant for the first time the other day. The guy has some amazing footwork. Really reminded me that boxing starts with the feet, and I have to stop being lazy and relying on upper body movement.

Back