Head Kicks

The insert image button above where you write your post.

Well there are quite a few ways of holding your hands while doing the high kick.. The main think is that it works for you..

I've always held my hands up, but I know a lot of people who dont... guess it comes down to how you're taught

Neither is necessarily right or wrong.

Personally I 'pull' my arm for balance, but make sure to roll that shoulder forward and cover with the other arm.

Thanks for the replies, I tend to keep my hands up for any mid to low kicks as I've been taught, but I just find that I feel much more powerful and balanced if I swing my arm back for high kicks, probably due to my lack of flexibility.

I swing the arm back that I kick with. I find it helps with getting more power and balance.

Swinging the arm is stupid and inexcusable. Keep your hands up and in front of you. If you need to swing the arm for balance, (which only means you never learned to kick correctly in the first place), keep it up and in front ready to block or punch. As in, swing out, but keep the elbow bent and ready and the hand up. Never swing down, and never straighten the elbow.

Most people who drop the arm do so because they never had a legit coach to tell them not to, and it's a very difficult habit to unlearn once you get used to it.

I was taught to swing the arm on the same side you are kicking with, but to always cover your jaw/head with the other arm. That way you get both the balance and momentum from swinging and you can protect your head at the same time.

Both ways are correct. Take a look at the first pic, the fighter throwing the kick keeps his hands up because his head is within his opponent's reach. Crocop scoops with his hand because he uses less hip rotation and scooping the hand helps him generate power, he also leans away from his opponent so he doesn't have to worry about being punched in the face.

Swinging the arm is stupid and inexcusable. Keep your hands up and in front of you. If you need to swing the arm for balance, (which only means you never learned to kick correctly in the first place), keep it up and in front ready to block or punch. As in, swing out, but keep the elbow bent and ready and the hand up. Never swing down, and never straighten the elbow.

Most people who drop the arm do so because they never had a legit coach to tell them not to, and it's a very difficult habit to unlearn once you get used to it.

^ has never trained muay thai

What? TS, listen to this guy and dont dare throw a kick at someones head like Mirko Cro-Cop does in the image you posted, Mirko's head kicks were rarely effective (denote sarcasm) :icon_conf

Last I remember, over the 15yrs i trained in MT and kickboxing i distinctly remember having several coaches and between them they had multiple world titles in Muay Thai and European rules kickboxing......... I guess I should of found more "legit" coaches, because they would disagree with you........ Think then speak, and more importantly know what the hell your talking about before doing such.....rant ended!:icon_neut

Last edited:
But you're leaving yourself open to a counter...

every strike you throw leaves you open to a counter! setting up your shot properly is the best way to avoid getting countered, but even then you are not "guaranteed" it wont get countered and anytime your on the offensive your susceptible to counters. Good rule: accept that your going to get hit and don't spend too much time avoiding every shot and trying not to get countered. Instead, decide witch shots your willing to take in order to return the favor and which ones you must avoid to not end up on your ass!

I've learned that:

1) Swinging both arms as in pretending to be an airplane = fail.
2) Swinging one arm behind your torso while the other arm swings over your face for protecion = more power because of added inertia/hip torque, more balance. You may need to spin all the way around.
3) Not swinging your arm and keeping both hands up = less power because of reduced inertia/hip torque, more protecion. You usually end up facing your opponent, no need to spin around.

You can see elite strikers like Buakaw, Masato, Bonjasky, Spong, etc, using 3) and 2), the proper techniques. And hell, it's so hard to do, that it's not strange to see some elite fighters sometimes using the aeroplane stance and getting KO'ed.

Last edited:
By that logic, you should never throw a punch because in doing so you are also leaving yourself open to a counter...

I meant that you're dropping your guard, making it easier for your opponent to counter your technique.

Back