head arm choke,

spiderguardman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
it seems like this choke is now the most popular thing in sw tournaments, especially from being on top in half guard when your opponent has the underhook, ive done it myself a few times and got cought really bad (see my thread about my neck)
so what's your pointers on not getting stuck in the gator choke or head and arm choke ass it is called, the only thing i can think about is holdning your elbow close while you underhook

I just try keep my arms tucked down, its not solid advice but its predictable what they want if they tuck their head under an arm. I really like these series of chokes & all its variations. S/choke from scarfhold, from top of half guard, from mount, using it while opponent is in your guard (works wel & sets up sweep) & anaconda choke. I find the most tricky to go for is from N/South if they try turning back into you. You have to catch it precisely.

there's no reason you want your elbow near your head if you're on bottom. that said, keep it down hooking him or blocking his bicept or posted on his hip as long as it's tight.

if he gets the underhook then overhook his arm and get the back of your fist on his chest like a whizzer and you've got something to fight with.

if you know how to defend a takedown with a whizzer then quickly get your hips back and face him so you both should be on your knees facing or you at hsi side with the deep whizzer pulled up onto your back. from there, stand for the escape or front headlock him or "shuck" and armdrag him in front of you and take the back. your choice depends on how quick you think he is and how confused you've made him at this point.

I think you are talking about the Brabo choke from half guard rather than the head-arm/arm triangle choke.

You could just try the standard "pick up the phone" hand on ear defense so they can't lock it down properly to get the tap. That also works with the normal arm triangle however in no-gi depending on the rules they can switch to a spine lock.

sometimes i'll let people get the arm triangle on me. I watch them set it up, and then expend bursts of energy getting into position, and then wear themselves out trying to squeeze as hard as they can, then repositioning and squeezing again. Finally letting the position go and then i make my move.

The "answer the phone" or "palm over the ear" defense works like a charm for the arm triangle. Just be ready to put it in before they lock down the choke and then just relax while they wear themselves out.

by the way, from the top half guard do you guys feel comfortable getting the triangle choke from both sides on your opponent or do you favor one side over the other.

I prefer to set it up from knee on the belly or even from side control and then jump to the opposite side. I do seem to favour the left side. I also often try walk round even if they have the defence in place as sometimes I will try to transition to a n/s kimura.

wats the diff between head arm choke and arm triangle?

None really, just different names for the same thing.

From an offensive point of view, do you think it's a hard sub to apply? Lately I've been trying it non stop and can never seem to sink it. The "let them wear themselves out trying to apply it then reposition" is me all over. I can get the arm across the face easily, I think the problem is the entry arm behind the opponents neck, I don't think my shoulder is deep enough to their ear or maybe my head isn't tucked enough on the other side. Either way, I find it a tough one to get on.

Look at their cheek so your chin is trapping their bicep. Try doing that. The forearm you have under the back of their neck to get it as close to the shoulder you are next to. Make sure they have no space.

Back