head and arm smashing a dead art?

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
use to from hg or smash pass the ultimate control guys wanted was getting a underhook with head control and shoulder smashing their way to passing seems like this is a dead art even in no gi guys are trying to speed pass guys guards and being more fancy from most vids out there now

id think that the head and arm smashing would be even more important today since hip movement has improved a lot in past decade and speed passing would somewhat die off vs guys with good guards

Draw down in people seeking head and shoulder position as a primary passing strategy in half guard is co-incidental with a rise in people using kneeshield in half guard.

It's a really high percentage pass for me when I get there, but anyone decent knows to prevent it at all costs. Except my jerk of a coach who'll bait you into it so he can sweep you using his overhook.

Draw down in people seeking head and shoulder position as a primary passing strategy in half guard is co-incidental with a rise in people using kneeshield in half guard.

i know you cant just jump onto a head arm but if you get past the knee shield i find its great since guys today love to invert use hips so much

I’ve been using this a lot lately, especially the bj penn/Shawn Williams underhook pass. I’m gonna start trying to force half guard and making that my primary pass rather than the double under if I can

What’s so odd is when I get that head and arm grip on colored belts I usually pass.

But what’s funny is when I get that grip on white belts, they tend to use the lockdown they learned from YouTube to completely stall me out and nullify my grip lmao, it’s absolutely infuriating. It just makes me realize I’m trash *shoulder shrug*

What’s so odd is when I get that head and arm grip on colored belts I usually pass.

But what’s funny is when I get that grip on white belts, they tend to use the lockdown they learned from YouTube to completely stall me out and nullify my grip lmao, it’s absolutely infuriating. It just makes me realize I’m trash *shoulder shrug*

Put your shoulder on their face and pike on it. Then you have all the time in the world to undo their lockdown.

Put your shoulder on their face and pike on it. Then you have all the time in the world to undo their lockdown.
You should go down their body a bit and move back in catching their head that way.
Stops half butterfly and literally everything except them closing their guards till they remove that at which point you reapply it.

First thing you should do when you get the grip, is get your trapped foot right next to their butt, so they can't get the lockdown.

against a lockdown staller it's usually a few options. no underhooks means no electric chair, so they are delaying the inevitable anyway.

great if you can connect your foot with their butt. to do this, i usually switch to reverse half with a BIG tripod if i can.

in the alternative, keep your leg curled so they can never get the hook on your instep/shin. they would have to settle for either a shitty half guard (you have to work to move your knee out between their thighs to the mat to establish 3/4 mount) or switch to regular half (pass as you will).

I'm confused by this thread. Having a deep crossface from topside half guard remains an extremely strong passing position. It will never go out of style.

I've noticed the lockdown getting popular in newer grapplers too - kinda weird because it was all the rage years ago, not sure how it's coming back again now. It's just a learning point - I've taken to actually unwinding the lockdown by kicking out and using the opposite foot to do it etc and making that my main focus when I feel my opponent establish it.

I'm confused by this thread. Having a deep crossface from topside half guard remains an extremely strong passing position. It will never go out of style.
i think so as well but seems colored belts today disagree/or dont do it

I've noticed the lockdown getting popular in newer grapplers too - kinda weird because it was all the rage years ago, not sure how it's coming back again now. It's just a learning point - I've taken to actually unwinding the lockdown by kicking out and using the opposite foot to do it etc and making that my main focus when I feel my opponent establish it.
beginners like the lockdown cause they can stall longer most guys when they play half it gets passed within 10 seconds usually so from lockdown they can last a minute they feel they are doing better since they are lasting longer.

and a beginners biggest thing is trying to last as long as they can without getting subbed they sit and hold lockdown and dont do a single thing with it its annoying i always have to get onto them about it saying if you are gonna do this guard at least fight for sweeps and get on your side

i know you cant just jump onto a head arm but if you get past the knee shield i find its great since guys today love to invert use hips so much

It's a very strong position once you're in it, the joke i suppose is that the 'real' pass is what you do to get there in the first place.

Im a big fan of the nearside underhook pass, since it defuses a lot of options a man on bottom might normally go to in half guard, and it's a good posture for snaking around frames (like the knee shield) to move up higher on the body. The main thing to look for is getting your head under their armpits, which gives you the von flue/arm triangle finish. You can take either side you like; if they block the far side, you can just walk the near side underhook up and take the side choke there, and if they crunch on the near side, then you can get your head under on the far side. You don't even need to get your leg out to finish it there (though at that point holding their legs is probably the last thing they will be thinking about). See Alex Perez vs Jordan Espinoza, or Ovince St. Preux vs Michal Oleksiejczuk for example.

Last edited:
It's a very strong position once you're in it, the joke i suppose is that the 'real' pass is what you do to get there in the first place.

Im a big fan of the nearside underhook pass, since it defuses a lot of options a man on bottom might normally go to in half guard, and it's a good posture for snaking around frames (like the knee shield) to move up higher on the body. The main thing to look for it getting your head under their armpits, which gives you the von flue/arm triangle finish. You can take either side you like; if they block the far side, you can just walk the near side underhook up and take the side choke there, and if they crunch on the near side, then you can get your head under on the far side. You don't even need to get your leg out to finish it there (though at that point holding their legs is probably the last thing they will be thinking about). See Alex Perez vs Jordan Espinoza, or Ovince St. Preux vs Michal Oleksiejczuk for example.

i first saw the nearside undertook pass in 2010 vs dan hardy thought looked weird then saw shawn williams teach it.

it looks great but tbh i never ever see guys hit it tbh i dont think iv ever seen it outside gsp

I have seen higher belts trying the lockdown even if they don't use it regularly against me once they feel they are getting wrecked and instead of defending they want to just delay the guard pass.

Back