He was a UFC champ at the same time with Chuck Liddell, Evan Tanner, Matt Hughes

Insane how long Arlovski has lasted, he would have been on end of my list of fighters to make it til 2020 back when he was in his prime.

Arlovski was definitely a helluva fighter and a weird chin anomaly. Sometimes the guy looked absolutely glass jawed and sometimes the guy got his jaw literally broken by a killer like Rumble Johnson and still saw the final bell. Definitely one of the hardest puncher a in the history of the sport. When you clean KO guys like Big Country and Rothwell in their primes, you can CRACK.

Usually, a broken jaw doesn't end in a KO. That's because the force that would concuss and render the brain unconscious dissipates on the break of the jaw.

There are many examples of fighters with broken jaws not getting KOd. Off the top of my head:

Rumble v Arlovski
Usman v Colby
Cerrone v Makdessi
Davey Grant v Martin Day
Madsen v Hubbard
Ferguson/Fisher vs Riley
Riggs v Doerksen

When he subbed Timmeh I thought I was watching the future Michael Jordan of MMA...

Arlovski is a real legend. Also a victim of the worst face plant KO eva eva

My first and last MS paint attempt lol

KVUetOx.jpg

Don't know why he's still fighting. Loves fighting? Can't afford to retire? Makes too much money to retire?
Yeah, it's crazy how some of these guys keep going.
He used to look like this
image-31.png

Luke Rockhold is lucky his face never got rearranged even after several brutal KO losses.

One of the few MMA fighters to have fought in 4 decades......

My favorite time was a tiny bit after that, when Anderson and Georges took the reigns, when BJ peaked, and when HW started to have champs who looked like athletes as opposed to Tim Sylvia. And shortly thereafter we got to see most of the pride crossover we’d hoped for.

But there’s a great case for the era you referenced as well.

God damn it show timmay some respect. He beat prime Arlovski twice and he knocked out plenty of HWs who looked like athletes. Goober could fight and it’s about time people admitted it.

It's insane that guys like he and Overeem are still ticking.
Born fighter. Lives for the scrap. You know arlovski loves it so much that he's really changed up his game to stay around where so many are too stubborn to adapt with age

..and he's fighting this Saturday.
And gets a salary of an average UFC champion.

And he's 2-1 in his last 3 fights.

hqdefault.jpg
And he was so popular back in the day, he had a series of LCD TVs named after him . . .

SOYO Joins Forces With Andrei Arlovski

The “Pitbull Series” televisions look to stand toe to toe with the competition, offering an introductory price of $699 for the 32″ LCD HD model. Priced and marketed aggressively to mirror the fight style of the former champion, the SOYO brand television will be available on SOYO.com, myspace.com/Arlovski, www.arlovski.tv as well as select retailers.

How many fighters can claim that?

"That guy with the FANGS! Andrew something"
- Casuals circa 2004-2009
HAHAHA! What a gem! Oh and those same casuals would notice Cheik Kongo's huge chest as well, as if that was a very threatening asset in MMA! Call me crazy, but I kinda miss these times!

HAHAHA! What a gem! Oh and those same casuals would notice Cheik Kongo's huge chest as well, as if that was a very threatening asset in MMA! Call me crazy, but I kinda miss these times!
I think we all do, truthfully

Andrei was the man at one point. He should've never shaved his back.

He never had one
It sounds harsh but it's kinda true. Pedro Rizzo KO'd him much worse than Sylvia did, and years before the Sylvia KO loss. He had also lost to that fat neo nazi prick Datsik in his very first fight, by KO as well. I never had a chance to watch his fight against Ricco Rodriguez, but looks like he was stopped with strikes there as well.

It's crazy to think of those years when Arlovski was at the top of the UFC's heavyweight mountain. Guys like Justin Eilers and Paul Buentello would get title shots against him without getting credible wins beforehand (Eilers was coming off a loss when he got a title shot ffs). Meanwhile, in Pride, they were holding a HW tournament with Fedor, Big Nog, CroCop, Kharitonov, Schilt, Heath Herring, Coleman and Randleman...

Arlovski had a 7-3 MMA record when he first fought Timmeh. That's not bad, but that's nowhere near deserving of the type of promotion he was getting, and how Rogan, Goldy and all the UFC folks were describing him...they were hyping him up based on a few KO wins over undersized HWs and over Cabbage, and based on the fact that he was 240 pounds with abs, which was a rare occurrence in the HW division at that time. When he leg locked Timmeh, they were all over his balls because he "had ju jitsu to go with his big right hand".

I love Arlovski, and I'm glad he still makes good bucks fighting, but I find it hard to get excited with his fights nowadays, as his boxing isn't as sharp as it used to be, the power in his hands hasn't been put on display in a while (he hasn't won a fight by stoppage since 2015), and I'm always worried about his opponent finding his chin, which is more than likely to fold him. And I don't think at this stage of his career and at his age, getting KO'd once more by some young, up and comer HW behemoth is really good for him, or does him any justice at all.

Arlovski had a 7-3 MMA record when he first fought Timmeh. That's not bad, but that's nowhere near deserving of the type of promotion he was getting, and how Rogan, Goldy and all the UFC folks were describing him...they were hyping him up based on a few KO wins over undersized HWs and over Cabbage, and based on the fact that he was 240 pounds with abs, which was a rare occurrence in the HW division at that time. When he leg locked Timmeh, they were all over his balls because he "had ju jitsu to go with his big right hand".

Oh great, I always like when comes an idiotic history revisionist and tries to understand what happened back when he didn't watch the UFC by going through fighter's wiki page.
Especially bringing something completely irrelevant for MMA contention and ranking - a record.

The fact is, that Arlovski beat "undersized HW" Matyushenko who was actually on his way to the HW title contention, because he beat "not-undersized" HW Rizzo just before the Arlovski fight.
And Freeman , another "undersized HW" was fresh off huge upset, laying waste on Mir.

Back