He sure showed her!

MC Paul Barman

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'll keep this brief.

Some guy who has no business jumping in the affairs of others did just that: jumped in the business affairs of others. For namesake purposes I'll just call this guy "Bill". Some many cry "FOUL!" but I don't see the actual point of having to actually point out his actual name. Actual points in discussions like this usually turn into debate rhetorical ploys of "scoring points". To 'one up' someone in debate but in truth having very little of substance to say. So I'm going to do my best to steer clear of both 'point scoring' as well as pointing out 'actual points' with the intention of winning over someone who may not even be sympathetic with this "Bill". So we have Bill, as stated, bring his business to the business of others who are none to interested in having their affairs meddled with. We say "business affairs" but to be honest we all know they're "personal affairs". I truly believe we say "business affairs" when refering to another's 'doings' simply to allow ourselves a pass to jump into those affairs. There is clearly less stigma in saying "I'm jumping in his 'business affairs'" opposed to saying "I'm jumping into his personal affairs". Business affairs denotes something that has a broader scope than just personal matters. That 'broader scope' may very well expand its way into your doings. Or so you hope that others conceive that possibility when you say "business affairs". If you were to say "personal affairs" then everyone would know that you're stepping well out of your range of responsibility and into an area that you really have no right to stick your nose into. That's the point. You're ultimately sticking your nose into affairs of others. Business, personal? What does it even matter? In doing that you're going to have some effect. This isn't new news...They got this guy, in Germany. Fritz Something-or-other. Or is it? Maybe it's Werner. Anyway, he's got this theory, you wanna test something, you know, scientifically - how the planets go round the sun, what sunspots are made of, why the water comes out of the tap - well, you gotta look at it. But sometimes you look at it, your looking changes it. Ya can't know the reality of what happened, or what would've happened if you hadn't-a stuck in your own goddamn schnozz. So there is no "what happened"? Not in any sense that we can grasp, with our puny minds. Because our minds... our minds get in the way. Looking at something changes it. They call it the "Uncertainty Principle". Sure, it sounds screwy, but even Einstein said the guy was on to something. And wasn't he? It isn't just the affairs of "joe down the street" we're talking about. in anything that you meddle with you're going to have some impact. Maybe those affairs of personal. Maybe they're business. Maybe it's the motion of a rock rolling down a hill. But you poke and prod this simply by viewing it and you're having an impact on it. Truth be told, this isn't even a theory. It just simply happens. It's called "uncertainty" but with great certainty you CAN know that you're going to have an effect. You can't claim ignorance. You see X and you want to input Y (yourself - Y - get it?) and it's by virtue of the way things are and what they are that in doing that things change, for better or ill. Bill felt it necessary to do just that. And he did "just that" to a person who meant something to him. Probably the one person that would ever mean to him what she meant to him. Listen, a person decides to act this way and you try to cajole them to act that way. But why? He really thought it necessary to inject himself into her situation as if there was already a perfect fit for him. Or as if he would find some perfect fit by being fluid enough to form himself around her particularities (not literally, but figurative). Like life is tantamount to aluminum injection molds. You just hope and pray that the sand borders are nuanced enough to allow the totality of you (the aluminum) to fill all of the spaces and gaps so much so but not so much greater than to allow yourself to spill over the top. To have her life become subsumed in you so that in your dealings with her she is now more you and herself. Laugh, but it can and does happen. In making their (or her) business yours you do run the risk of turning the other into you. Of making yourself such a presence that there is no division between what she was and what you are. It's not so much that she actually does become you. But, by your interactions and estimates you are really only paying attention to the "you of her" not the "her of her". You're listening to and hearing what you want to hear but in reality all that amounts to is you listening to yourself. Because that's all you ever wanted to hear. You live alittle, make the mistakes that you make, live alittle more. Realize what your boundaries are. Break down those boundaries for a noble reason but then you don't learn when to pull back. You make your presence known that much more, knock down more boundaries. Run your life like you are an injection mold plant, pouring your 'aluminum' here and there. Losing the inherent caution of not 'pouring over the top'. You dive in headlong with little forethought... headlong and brazen, but you never had any intentions of not doing that. It wasn't so much a declared sentiment but simply the effect of you being you and not being truly interested in the other. You're running around acting like things aren't bad. But you know they're bad. But you're acting like that so as to drown out the reality of it. You actually do know that because of acting this way things are really bad. I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TV's while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.' Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad.

I'll keep this brief.

Some guy who has no business jumping in the affairs of others did just that: jumped in the business affairs of others. For namesake purposes I'll just call this guy "Bill". Some many cry "FOUL!" but I don't see the actual point of having to actually point out his actual name. Actual points in discussions like this usually turn into debate rhetorical ploys of "scoring points". To 'one up' someone in debate but in truth having very little of substance to say. So I'm going to do my best to steer clear of both 'point scoring' as well as pointing out 'actual points' with the intention of winning over someone who may not even be sympathetic with this "Bill". So we have Bill, as stated, bring his business to the business of others who are none to interested in having their affairs meddled with. We say "business affairs" but to be honest we all know they're "personal affairs". I truly believe we say "business affairs" when refering to another's 'doings' simply to allow ourselves a pass to jump into those affairs. There is clearly less stigma in saying "I'm jumping in his 'business affairs'" opposed to saying "I'm jumping into his personal affairs". Business affairs denotes something that has a broader scope than just personal matters. That 'broader scope' may very well expand its way into your doings. Or so you hope that others conceive that possibility when you say "business affairs". If you were to say "personal affairs" then everyone would know that you're stepping well out of your range of responsibility and into an area that you really have no right to stick your nose into. That's the point. You're ultimately sticking your nose into affairs of others. Business, personal? What does it even matter? In doing that you're going to have some effect. This isn't new news...They got this guy, in Germany. Fritz Something-or-other. Or is it? Maybe it's Werner. Anyway, he's got this theory, you wanna test something, you know, scientifically - how the planets go round the sun, what sunspots are made of, why the water comes out of the tap - well, you gotta look at it. But sometimes you look at it, your looking changes it. Ya can't know the reality of what happened, or what would've happened if you hadn't-a stuck in your own goddamn schnozz. So there is no "what happened"? Not in any sense that we can grasp, with our puny minds. Because our minds... our minds get in the way. Looking at something changes it. They call it the "Uncertainty Principle". Sure, it sounds screwy, but even Einstein said the guy was on to something. And wasn't he? It isn't just the affairs of "joe down the street" we're talking about. in anything that you meddle with you're going to have some impact. Maybe those affairs of personal. Maybe they're business. Maybe it's the motion of a rock rolling down a hill. But you poke and prod this simply by viewing it and you're having an impact on it. Truth be told, this isn't even a theory. It just simply happens. It's called "uncertainty" but with great certainty you CAN know that you're going to have an effect. You can't claim ignorance. You see X and you want to input Y (yourself - Y - get it?) and it's by virtue of the way things are and what they are that in doing that things change, for better or ill. Bill felt it necessary to do just that. And he did "just that" to a person who meant something to him. Probably the one person that would ever mean to him what she meant to him. Listen, a person decides to act this way and you try to cajole them to act that way. But why? He really thought it necessary to inject himself into her situation as if there was already a perfect fit for him. Or as if he would find some perfect fit by being fluid enough to form himself around her particularities (not literally, but figurative). Like life is tantamount to aluminum injection molds. You just hope and pray that the sand borders are nuanced enough to allow the totality of you (the aluminum) to fill all of the spaces and gaps so much so but not so much greater than to allow yourself to spill over the top. To have her life become subsumed in you so that in your dealings with her she is now more you and herself. Laugh, but it can and does happen. In making their (or her) business yours you do run the risk of turning the other into you. Of making yourself such a presence that there is no division between what she was and what you are. It's not so much that she actually does become you. But, by your interactions and estimates you are really only paying attention to the "you of her" not the "her of her". You're listening to and hearing what you want to hear but in reality all that amounts to is you listening to yourself. Because that's all you ever wanted to hear. You live alittle, make the mistakes that you make, live alittle more. Realize what your boundaries are. Break down those boundaries for a noble reason but then you don't learn when to pull back. You make your presence known that much more, knock down more boundaries. Run your life like you are an injection mold plant, pouring your 'aluminum' here and there. Losing the inherent caution of not 'pouring over the top'. You dive in headlong with little forethought... headlong and brazen, but you never had any intentions of not doing that. It wasn't so much a declared sentiment but simply the effect of you being you and not being truly interested in the other. You're running around acting like things aren't bad. But you know they're bad. But you're acting like that so as to drown out the reality of it. You actually do know that because of acting this way things are really bad. I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TV's while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.' Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad.

you have got to be kidding me

Interesting. I went back and forth but have to agree at the end of the day.

There are many reckless, mordacious bottom-feeders who want to irritate an incredible number of people. One

8/10

I actually read like 3 sentences, then I remembered the "brief".

You keep using that word...I don't think you know why it means.

grandpa-simpson-arrives-and-leaves_49.gif

What you did there, I didn't see it... for a few sentences.

One of my favourite films.

I'm going to write a book about this.

Back